Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10lb butt Medium Egg

Options
With it fully cleaned out and using the biggest pieces from 3 new bags of RO can this be accomplished? Or should I plan on pulling and reloading? Butt has already been purchased by the lady. I have a mav wireless also. Thanks for any input!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Do you have room to cut in into two pieces? I have a large so can help there, but two pieces would make it act like two smaller butts and you get more bark!
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I probably could cut in half then place cut part down. Making them stand taller would give me room. Would the cook time then decrease? Seems it should if center is not as deep as one basketball sized butt. I just stared at her when she brought it home"man I'm not going to get any sleep lol"
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    It would cut the time to close to one smaller butt. Example, if the bigger one was 6# the cook would be for a 6# butt. They would finish different times so you'd have to monitor both and pull appropriately. Just FTC the first one off till the second is done.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    It will fit and work. I've gone 18hrs on my medium. I would leave it in one piece myself.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I don't know about fuel time on a medium, but I do like it cut in two for the added bark
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    So cut...put drip pan in filled with liquids. Rub on the whole thing both halves? Sound good?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No need for liquid in pan. Just an air gap between ps and pan to keep drippings from burning and smoking. You can if you want. Your good.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hey, @anton , can you help this gentleman?

@clifkincaid ... anton is the master chef with a medium egg.  He makes some awesome meals ... and, if anyone can give you good advice, he's the man.  Saw where he grabbed some big steaks a little while ago and was headed for the door, so you might have to wait until he sobers up tomorrow to get his help.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• clifkincaid
    Options
    Thanks guys...very much appreciated. Happy New Year Eggers
  • BYS1981
    Options
    Rub it down with how much rib you want, set fire to 300 and let it go, don't overthink it. Medium is not any special egg. For reference I have done 2 8lb butts on a medium, remember the butt will shrink a bit.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I kind of over think when I'm worried about having enough lump and loading the lump. Then I hear people say oh you need the grill style fire grate...oh...you need a kick ash...I just want to cook and the internet will ruin your brain ha..so much info crammed in a short question or refined search.
  • BYS1981
    Options
    I don't have an ash basket or a high que grate unnecessary accessories.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Not sure what the question is? I've done plenty of them on my medium all in one piece. Fill it to the brim with small, medium and larger pieces of lump and let'r rip. Just not dust or chips. It will go 18. I've never used just large pieces not sure that helps. I think that is less charcoal. I do have a high-que grate though since I had airflow issues with the BGE grate on long cooks.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    clifkincaid,
    you have been set on the right track already, fill with lump to top of firering, set up for raised indirect, use a drip pan as suggested above, and prepare to be the coolest guy of the new year who can produce the best pork ever, 10 lb will be no sweat on the medium, biggest I have done is a 7lb, and there's plenty of room left, the butt is a forgiving hunkof meat. As the above great eggheads have said, bump the temp up to meet your deadline, it will not affect it adversely. Enjoy.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Really appreciate the help and pointers I can get here. Thanks
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Just be sure to post pics, we're waitin
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    The Medium is more than capable of this cook. I've gone over 16 hours on my Medium. 
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Hand placing the lump with big pieces on the bottom then medium and topping off with small to 1 inch from the top of my fire ring, I've pulled 31 hours off the medium before.
    Pentwater, MI
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I will be getting up at 2am to start the EGG. Doing pizzas tonight for my daughter and her cousins. Will be following the 300 temp direction. I was going to cut but now I'll try whole since it sound plausible.
    Another ?...I have a second fire ring"warranty" and I don't have a raised grill. Has anyone ever stacked these. Say PS on top of one FR then FR on top of PS with grill on top of that? Hope it makes sense as to what I'm getting at. If so should i do this with the butt?
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Nah, just PS with the grill on top of that is fine for the medium IMO.  I've been cooking great stuff on the medium for 3 years without a raised grill..  Plus, i believe if you stack another fire ring on with the plate setter the lid wont be able to close.
    Pentwater, MI
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    EVO and rub or Mustard and Rub? I'm using meat church rub.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    EVO and rub or Mustard and Rub? I'm using meat church rub.

Whichever you want. Mustard doesn't contribute to taste IMHO. My last two I used water. Good bark, no problems.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Both are just binders for the rub that don't much if any impact on the taste of the final product. So whichever you decide will be fine. The last butt I did I used a little tap water to help hold the rub and it tasted the same as my mustard rubbed butts. I think it was @sgh that mentioned water is all he uses.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Guess I thought it was more for bark build up...mustard.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I didn't notice a difference in the bark with just water vs mustard. Really no right or wrong it's all good Que. just enjoy the journey to the best pulled pork you've ever had.

analyze adapt overcome

• clifkincaid
    Options
    Just did mustard and Rub...all prepped for early morning start. Thanks everyone!!
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    Just my 2c worth, but I wouldn't get up at 2:00 am to start a butt. Start it at 10 or 11:00, go to bed after it stablizes and enjoy a good nights rest. These are the easiest things in the world to cook. Pull it when it ready around 190-200 degrees internal. Wrap it in foil, wrap that in a beach towel and place it in a cooler (called FTC). It will stay steaming hot for 4-8 hours that way. Than your not stressing trying to time dinner to your guests or your sides... AND you get to enjoy not dragging YOUR butt around because you didn't get any sleep... I learned to do that after getting tired of the wife bitching because the ribs aren't ready when they were supposed to be. Bbq is not a science, it's more of an art. There are no stead fast rules on how long it will take till ready. It's ready when it's ready... As Alton Brown always says, "Your patients will be rewarded".
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I agree with what you posted. If it cools off enough to clean out and do at 10 I surely will! Problem is Daughter has cousins over and looks like a few pizzas are in order first. That is my dilemma. So around 7 that egg is going to be hot and i don't want to mess with that temp to drop or use those lump pieces. I save previously burned little clean outs for filling and cooking pizza. Probably a cheapskate but it works
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I bet if you close it down the lump will be out where you can clean out or add more by 10

analyze adapt overcome

• clifkincaid
    Options

I bet if you close it down the lump will be out where you can clean out or add more by 10

Well the pizza fest was a hit. Then with left over heat we decided lets do smores over the EGG geat. That was fun for the kids.
    Well it became late and I'm just now getting stabalized at 290. Man she puts out some smoke with all that lump =D>
    Hope all goes well.