Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

28 Day Dry Aged Prime Rib Roast, Polenta, Yorkshire Pudding (Very Pic Heavy)

2»

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    ok....the 4 week wait is finally over. Slow cooked (275* with no wood for smoke, NO SEAR)...drippings used for mini Yorkshire Puddings. 1st shot is 14 day, then 21... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos finally....28 days. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos all trimmed up. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos removed from the bones and retied back up for easier slicing and rubbed down with a paste of EVOO, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic, onion powder. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos after Egg, rest, and sliced Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos served up with mini Yorkshire pudding, creamy polenta, and sautéed green beans. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos best beef ever. the aging process is so worth it. much more concentrated beef flavor. started with 9 lb roast and after drying and trimming, ended up with 7 lb 3oz. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
    Hey MQ - I have a 35 day dry aged prime rib roast on now.  Pull at 128.  How long did you let it rest?  
  • Bout 20 minutes or so. Post results when done...I'm interested.
  • IrishDevl
    Will do. Taking up soon. Nearly 128.
  • Oh, mama
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • IrishDevl
    Here it is raw. iPhone, so not my favorite pic. Looked like death before trim. My butcher dry aged for me, so if I die it is his fault.
  • post dessert treat...I cut the bones away and tied back on before cooking...well, after the roast was carved i threw the rib bones back on the 250 egg for a couple hours. yum! image
    Awesome cook  ^:)^
    The bones are always the cook's treat at our house.  Whatever is left on the bones goes into the next days pinto bean cook.    
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    hell yeah! (blow ye the trumpet of zion!)
    MQ - Absolute bliss.  Pulled at just about 128-130 (Maverick was acting up so had to use thermopen).  But just the best, you were my inspiration for this.  Well done.  Thanks.
  • Nice job! =D> Looks like you nailed it. Did you notice a big difference in taste with the aged beef?
  • IrishDevl
    Yes, definitely more concentrated beef flavor.  Big fan, need to beat stike's 100 day dry age, but doubt that will ever happen.  
  • I don't think I have the patience for 100 days...

• post dessert treat...I cut the bones away and tied back on before cooking...well, after the roast was carved i threw the rib bones back on the 250 egg for a couple hours. yum!

Awesome cook  ^:)^
    The bones are always the cook's treat at our house.  Whatever is left on the bones goes into the next days pinto bean cook.    

hell yeah! (blow ye the trumpet of zion!)

Thanks!

• nice. I guess I'm up next.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 17
    I know this is an old thread, but curious how long it took to smoke at that temperature. I have a similar 9-pound ribeye roast that I've been dry-aging as well. Trying to plan ahead for the Christmas cook tomorrow. Best regards Jeremy
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Dry aging is great. I'm going to grab a bone in prime whole ribeye from Costco before they're gone for the holidays.
    Dunedin, FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Those green beans look amazing.  Nice job!

Seriously though, Wow doesn't even come close to doing this cook justice.  Well done!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I just picked up about an 8 pound choice rib roast and was going to freeze it tell a few days before New Year's, but may let it dry age tell then now. I like the idea of separating the bone first and retiring it. Also putting them back on would make them more tender. I can't wait to cook it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I just picked up about an 8 pound choice rib roast and was going to freeze it tell a few days before New Year's, but may let it dry age tell then now. I like the idea of separating the bone first and retiring it. Also putting them back on would make them more tender. I can't wait to cook it.
    not being a smarty-ass but dry aging is done best in multiples of weeks - not mere days. Long ago I quit messing with kidding myself that dry aging was a quick thing. Now I never even bother aging any NY strip loins (8 to 10 pounders) for less than 35 days and no rib eye sub primals (12 to 15 pounders) for anything under 45 days. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    RRP said:
    not being a smarty-ass but dry aging is done best in multiples of weeks - not mere days. Long ago I quit messing with kidding myself that dry aging was a quick thing. Now I never even bother aging any NY strip loins (8 to 10 pounders) for less than 35 days and no rib eye sub primals (12 to 15 pounders) for anything under 45 days. 

@RRP, so should I freeze it or just leave it in the fredge tell next week?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Glad I finally clicked on this , wow impressive.
    Seattle, WA
  • that sir is legendary.   ^:)^