Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin vs Filets

Options
Wanted to do a beef tenderloin for Christmas...was going to use APL's recipe from Serious BBQ. It turns out we will only have 5 adults coming over so the tenderloin would be on the small side ~3 lbs at the most. Add to that, two of the adults prefer the meat on the medium well to well done side (I know, I know, I know).

So my question is this...with it being a small tenderloin AND I will need to cut it up and put some back on to get it more done, am I just better buying some steaks already cut?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

Not necessarily.  Those who like it more cooked can have the end pieces.  If you have more than two of them then you have a problem. 

Personally, I would still go with the tenderloin just because it creates a different atmosphere that is more of a holiday feel than "steaks" (which I love, but you get the idea). 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Thanks for the reply @Foghorn. So even at 3lbs, it will be cut a little thinner on each end and that isnt too small to get the same effect?

I was at the store earlier and seeing the 6+ lb tenderloins, I am trying to picture a small one.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Does yours have a taper to it? Most tenderloins have a thick end (Two piece butt end) that tapers to half diameter at the other side.

If you have a 3 lb. tenderloin, I expect it's really half a loin. Which half do you have? If it's all one diameter and has a "split" in it, you have the butt half.

If you have the tapered half, that smaller diameter should be medium well when the butt half is medium rare, no problem.

If you have a loin that is a consistent diameter, I would slice off about a pound, (1/3) and put that on the egg 10-15 minutes earlier than the other 2/3 piece. Pull the larger piece is at 120f. The small loin should be about 155f. - or just beyond redemption.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• tdub4
    Options
    Thanks @DieselkW. To answer your question, I dont have it yet. Need to go pick it up but was curious if I should just call an audible and go with steaks or still go this route even though it would be in the smaller side.
  • DieselkW
    Options
    I would buy the tenderloin @tdub4 - that way if you change your mind, you can simply slice it into steaks. You're covered either way if you buy the loin.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As mentioned above the normal tenderloin has a large end and tapers off to a small end. Rather than to cut them I merely double it over and tie it together with butchers' string. Surprisingly it looks like one log of meat of uniform thickness. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tdub4
    Options
    @RRP I assume the two ends are on the left side in this picture? With only 5 adults I just dont need a full tenderloin I dont think. I was guessing at the 3lbs.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    @RRP I assume the two ends are on the left side in this picture? With only 5 adults I just dont need a full tenderloin I dont think. I was guessing at the 3lbs.
    In looking back at my notes that picture was actually 1 full tenderloin plus the small end of another. Here's another with just the one piece doubled over using one of the scilcone wraps instead of string. Sorry the picture isn't sharp.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Justacookin
    Options
    you should be able to get bigger than that I have a 4.91 lb trimmed in the fridge right know and one end would be easy to get to well done.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • tdub4
    Options
    @Justacookin I know I can get more, but the question is do I need more? How many are you planning on feeding with yours? I went with ~8oz per person which would be 2.5 lbs (I think
    :-/) with a little extra.

Should I be thinking differently? With the prices I dont want to go too crazy...the presents under the tree already put a dent in the ole budget!
  • DieselkW
    Options
    Tenderloin can be cut into slices on the serving platter, no need to give each guest a half pound of steak at $20/lb.

I would slice the loin 1/2" at a time, and let people take as much as they want -

Indianapolis, IN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    leftover tenderloin would make for some incredible french dip sandwiches during the long weekend
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    I just purchased a whole tenderloin and am cutting it up as we speak although the computer keyboard gets a little messed up :)) . It was 7.5 pounds for $60. Canadian. ($7.99/lb). My plan is to butcher it into a couple of small roasts and have enough left for roughly 6 fillets. The chain muscle will be cut up for 1 helluva nice stew.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• DieselkW
    edited December 2014
    Options
    $8 a lb. (Canadian) for beef tenderloin is an incredible price. I pay a LOT more in Indiana for that cut.

Quick check: That's $6.85 a lb US dollars.

I pay about $120 for that here.

Indianapolis, IN

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Given a whole tenderloin, I was taught there are four parts. Using really technical terms, the big end, the small end, the chain and the good stuff. The good stuff, or centre cut, is the best for steaks producing consistent size. Steaks are easier to control the finish temp for each piece. 

SWMBO is a well done steak eater. I use a reverse sear and put her's on a 225º egg about 15 to 20 minutes before mine. Well done is an easy cook as I never check the temps. Watching mine until about 115º, I pull steaks and get ready to sear - lately that has not been on the egg, It is either a torch or CI skillet, skillet preferred for tenderloin, on the gasser side burner. Finished with an APL board sauce and some bleu cheese butter for mine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tdub4
    Options
    Picked up the tenderloin this morning. They cut it for me at 3lbs, so we will see how this goes. Thanks
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    Picked up the tenderloin this morning. They cut it for me at 3lbs, so we will see how this goes. Thanks
    It will be great.  Sorry I didn't directly answer your question earlier, but it seemed like others who are more knowledgeable had addressed it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX