Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking with tradition - who else.....

GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
When I was little we went to my grandmothers for turkey on Christmas. Mom took over the job of cooking and it was turkey. Then it was my job to cook and Mom and Dad said it had to be turkey. MDSH wanted ham so ham was added. Mom and Dad are gone and I turned it over to my daughter. Her husbands family said it wasn't Christmas without turkey. So turkey it was and the daughter cooked turkey. I took standing rib roast to the dinner. Now all the years from when I was little until last year there was always a minimum of 15 people with some years as many as 30. This year some family members are not in good health and are unable to travel. This will be our first year with just 7 people at dinner. For sure there will be NO turkey, ham, or standing rib roast. We are going completely non traditional for us. We will have 10 pounds of Alaskan king crab legs, fettuccine Alfredo, steaks and a salad. Dessert will be non traditional also. Kids are getting milkshakes and adults are having more adult beverages. Tis' the season - may you all have a great holiday filled with love and laughter. ;;)
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Sounds pretty awesome to me. Not sure what we are doing. We just got our kitchen put back together yesterday and the stove and sink go in tomorrow. We haven't cooked in a kitchen in 3 months. Not sure I know where to start. I do have 36 lbs of bacon in the cure so whatever we cook, is going to have some bacon in it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • And we will have plenty of tamales too. This year- venison chorizo, smoked pork, and hatch chiles with goat cheese.
  • GrannyX4
    And we will have plenty of tamales too. This year- venison chorizo, smoked pork, and hatch chiles with goat cheese.

@Cen-Tex Smoker Tamales sound awesome. I made a double batch of TFJ's tamales and gave half to my neighbor. She cried. As it turned out her Mom had passed away recently and they tasted just like he Mom's. You never know who or what will touch someone.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    I'm trying to break tradition...or establish a new one.  We've been in tradition transition for a few years.  Mom died 5 years ago, Dad just 2 years ago. I'm 1.5 years into egging.  I'm pulling for either a beef tenderloin or prime rib on the egg.  Husband is hoping for a turkey (tradition), but he did say that it seems like I should get multiple votes since I'll be the one doing the work.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    sounds good to me, you could toss some scollops shrimp, fried smelt in there and call it the feast of the seven fishes belated
    :D we did 2 turkeys for the 6 of us this tday, im so sick of turkey, hoping for lamb
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    I'm way too sentimental to be breaking traditions. 
    At my house it will always be turkey, oyster dressing, lasagna, green-bean casserole  and for dessert pecan pie and cannolis. 
    Cannoli being the most important tradition. ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• We are in transition too. Mom is kinda frail and living in a retirement facility. My brother will be in FLA visiting his in-laws. My sisters are not interested in hosting or driving so it will be just us this year. I'm not sure what I'm making.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Thanksgiving is the only holiday that we can claim as a tradition in our house.  The missus has said we are staying home ... period ... and all the relatives are invited for turkey and ham.  Been that way for 45 years.

The only Christmas tradition we have is that we don't have one.  First the military and then our moving with my job have given us a different set of circumstances every few years.  Left two kids behind in Tucson during the last move, but one found his way back to the mid-west.  This year will be the biggest change ... we're going north to spend Christmas with my FIL.  He's 97 and decided not to travel this year ... first time we've spent Christmas in the UP in 30 some years.  Will be interesting.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• And we will have plenty of tamales too. This year- venison chorizo, smoked pork, and hatch chiles with goat cheese.
    GrannyX4 said:
    And we will have plenty of tamales too. This year- venison chorizo, smoked pork, and hatch chiles with goat cheese.

@Cen-Tex Smoker Tamales sound awesome. I made a double batch of TFJ's tamales and gave half to my neighbor. She cried. As it turned out her Mom had passed away recently and they tasted just like he Mom's. You never know who or what will touch someone.
    Wow. Thanks for sharing that! Ill let TFJ know. She will probably cry too :). (In the sweet way)
  • The meal sounds delish granny.  I wanted a crowned pork roast  for Christmas diner but the kids out voted me.  #1 son will be doing his traditional Beef Wellington.  We will bring the tamales and frijoles for Christmas eve.  DIL is making the breads and pastries and her wonderful taters au gratin.  
    Merry Christmas and Happy New to you and your family.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    edited December 2014
    The meal sounds delish granny.  I wanted a crowned pork roast  for Christmas diner but the kids out voted me.  #1 son will be doing his traditional Beef Wellington.  We will bring the tamales and frijoles for Christmas eve.  DIL is making the breads and pastries and her wonderful taters au gratin.  
    Merry Christmas and Happy New to you and your family.

Thank you. It's time for the kids to make their own traditions. Your dinner will be wonderful. I remember seeing pictures of the cook last year and he does a fantastic job on putting it together. Enjoy your family and merry Christmas. Glad the arm is getting better. ;;)
  • I grew up eating whatever was killed and smoked. Usually a deer ham or a turkey.

I'm doing a 17lb bone in beef rib roast.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    We always have steak and lobster Christmas eve. Baby girl had her wisdom teeth out and Sheree's mom is battling a stomach thing. Might be potato soup. That'll be ok. Christmas day we always do finger food so it'll be the same.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    Hope baby girl is feeling better. A big chocolate milkshake would be real good and maybe put a smile on her face. Have a Merry ;;)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @GrannyX4‌ ...thanks. she's had a rough go..but milkshakes have been flowing. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    GrannyX4 said:
    When I was little we went to my grandmothers for turkey on Christmas. Mom took over the job of cooking and it was turkey. Then it was my job to cook and Mom and Dad said it had to be turkey. MDSH wanted ham so ham was added. Mom and Dad are gone and I turned it over to my daughter. Her husbands family said it wasn't Christmas without turkey. So turkey it was and the daughter cooked turkey. I took standing rib roast to the dinner. Now all the years from when I was little until last year there was always a minimum of 15 people with some years as many as 30. This year some family members are not in good health and are unable to travel. This will be our first year with just 7 people at dinner. For sure there will be NO turkey, ham, or standing rib roast. We are going completely non traditional for us. We will have 10 pounds of Alaskan king crab legs, fettuccine Alfredo, steaks and a salad. Dessert will be non traditional also. Kids are getting milkshakes and adults are having more adult beverages. Tis' the season - may you all have a great holiday filled with love and laughter. ;;)
    Sounds wonderful, but I really like the way you say, that for dessert, adults will be having MORE adult beverages.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Traditional or not sounds like a fine meal. Hope those that can't attend get on the mend soon. Enjoy those that are around. Merry Christmas!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Next year, I'm thinking of going non-traditional, be more like Super Bowl Sunday.
    Just cook up a wide variety of appetizers.
    Lollipop Chicken
    Sausage stuffed mushrooms
    Jalapeno poppers
    Bacon wrapped glazed pineapple
    Variety of veggies and a variety of dips.
    small cups of pudding
    etc.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• GrannyX4
    Traditional or not sounds like a fine meal. Hope those that can't attend get on the mend soon. Enjoy those that are around. Merry Christmas!

Thank you for the kind words and I will enjoy. Just a little follow up to our planned non-traditional Christmas - MDSH just went out a bought a ham. Thankfully it was not a turkey. ;;)