Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch Cocked 23 Pound Turkey and a 9 Pound Rib Roast on the XL for Thanksgiving

Options

Hi all, I am new to BGE, but wanted to post my first big cook from Thanksgiving Day.  Used the stone and rig I purchased form the Ceramic Grill Store.  Not much smoke flavor, which bummed me out a bit, but both were juicy, tender, and flavorful.  Both the turkey and the rib roast were rubbed down with a paste made from fresh ground black pepper, course kosher salt, and olive oil (added dry minced garlic to rub on beef roast).  Cooked with a dome temp at around 380 to 400 until both were done, and the bird took about 1 hour more than the rib roast.  Lots of smiles around the holiday table of 20 guests.  Beef to 125 before removing to rest.  Turkey to 165 before letting rest.  DELICIOUS!

While prepping the rib roast the day before, I had to cut a nice thick steak off to grill.  Seared it on the BGE XL with the vents wide open, and then closed it way down to smoke indirect to a nice medium to medium rare temp.  Wife was impressed with the flavor and texture of the steak.  I was as well. 

I enjoy the simple things in life, like travel, grilling, camping, motorcycling, and prefer to do them all in the same weekend.  Life is short, enjoy each moment. 

Comments