Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What food have you dropped, and did you serve it?

After all the prep, cooking and caring for the food.. the unthinkable happens. It gets dropped...

My gyro log rolled off the cutting board as soon as I took it off the egg. Smacked the ground good.. *slap*! I was like Bruce Lee - I grabbed that bad boy almost on the bounce. You are the only souls who know.. I served of course and it was fine.

I've done worse where the food gets thrown out - dropped a plate of homefries and that doesn't pick up fast or cleanly.

War stories?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Dropped half a rack of Baby Backs in the kitchen-they were already cooked. My brother saw it and said 'give it to me, I will eat it'. That was nice of him, but those went on my plate. After I made sure they were clean of course. If I dropped a whole roast or something I would follow your lead...I cannot understand why some people think you have to throw something away cause it hit the floor for a few seconds. Amazing.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    @evie --- did your dog write those comments?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    You name it and I have dropped it at one time or another.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    @SGH‌ --- but did you eat it, serve it or toss it?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    More often than not I eat it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    TigerTony said:
    @evie --- did your dog write those comments?
    LOL! Those guys were slow on the uptake that day, or they would have enjoyed a feast!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Hot dogs rolled off the small......wiped off re-seared....probably an improvement. Other half invoked 2 second rule...they were his anyway.   :>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    BGE related-have definitely bounced a few ABT's, wings, potatoes and pig shots on the short list.  The classic was many years ago (pre-BGE) SWMBO dropped a pyrex dish with the main course on the kitchen floor.  Dish shattered-the look-no sweat I offered, just give it a good rinse with hot water to take care of any stray particles and we are "good to go".  Definitely an alcohol induced reaction but it all worked out.  Would not make that call now...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2014
    Three times this has happened...pizza hot off the egg onto my peel and then on to the deck in a heart beat! Then "peeled" right back up and into the house and other than a telltale grease spot they left behind we ate all 3.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LS that looked really good...I would have invoked the 5 second rule...The floor added that certain je ne sais quoi
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I'd feel guilty serving food off the ground to guests. But for me or the kids if I can rinse and maybe give a quick sear I will try to save it! If my kids are eating hot dogs is there anything on the ground that makes it any less healthy??
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Chicken noodle soup.
    No.  

:D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I have two Dobermans, I dont have to pick up food off the floor :D
    Jacksonville FL
  • During my first long cook, I had two pork shoulders on and accidentally snuffed the fire out about half way through. I opened the dome and stepped inside to get something when my highly food- motivated rescue mutt took the opportunity to actually snatch one whole shoulder off the egg! He ripped off a small strip of bark before I got back out! 

After a brief shout-down and the urge to strangle him passed, the fire was restarted, the meat was wipe off and replaced on the grid for another 8 hours of cooking. Pulled pork was great and no one ever knew.
    LBGE  Sanibel, FL
  • Pulled pork was great and no one ever knew.
    Except the dog. He knew! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    One time I dropped a stuffed mushroom when I was getting them off the egg. Reflexes kicked in and I grabbed it off the deck and tossed it in my mouth. Really smart move... molten filling coated my mouth, scalding it nicely throughout. My dentist noticed the burns 2 weeks later when I was in for normal cleaning/checkup.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Kinda like @Dobie‌ you have to be quick at my house. However, I will wipe the dog hair off quick sear if needed and serve to immediate family or drunk friends. :D
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Jeremiah said:

What a douche. I can't stand that guy. [-(

I ordered papa johns. He hates papa johns.

That sucks twice.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I've dropped nearly everything at one time or another, rules change depending on who and how many witnesses.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

A few years back (pre-BGE) we had friends from out of town visiting. I run outside to throw a few racks of ribs on the drum smoker. I set the tray down on the rickety folding table next to the smoker and the table collapses.

I fumble and grab 2 of the 3 racks, but the third hits the grass/dirt meat side down. I look up at my friend's 14yo son who came out to help me, and he says "meh, they'll never know". I scooped the rack off the ground, picked off the bigger pieces of grass, and threw it on.

Possibly my best ribs ever.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ^^^^ that's awesome. Gotta love the teen attitude.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    When I was  teenager at my first job, I slipped and dropped a pan of roast beef on the grimy slimy kitchen floor of the smorgasbord I was working at.  The manager saw it happen, but as I was still in the kitchen the customers had not.  The manager instructed me to pick up the slices of roast beef, put them back in the pan, pour more gravy over the top of them, and take it out to the service line.

I figure my kitchen floor is never that filthy or grody. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• LS that looked really good...I would have invoked the 5 second rule...The floor added that certain je ne sais quoi
    Joan, it did get eaten. Those that ate it were well aware of the history. My deck is concrete and it is pretty clean.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• One of the first things I cooked was an egg full of brats. Instead of picking them up one at a time I picked up the rack. Don't ask me what I was going to do with it because I don't know. I was a newbie remember. Anyway I tilted the rack ever so slightly and all of the brats rolled off onto the concrete patio. Now it was a race between me and the dogs. I managed to get to most of them first so I washed them off and reheated them on the egg. Now nobody knows this because it was years ago. Everybody thought the brats were great, including the dog that got one. I still swear to this day to my wife that I have no idea why her Yorkshire terrier got so sick but she knows I'm lying.
    San Angelo, texas
  • I personally am not offended by the chance of a speck or two of dirt, though some of my wife's family would be.  We had a dairy for many years, there's not much that hasn't splattered into an open mouth at an unsuspecting moment.  2 seconds, 5 seconds, a minute, it could be a lot worse.  No need to throw good food away, unless one of the wife's lap rats  had just left their mark there beforehand.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Dropped a pizza on the deck last night. Landed cheese side down and all toppings stuck to the ground so did not serve.
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.