Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catching up on cooks (lots of pics)

Options
It's been over 2 1/2 months since I last posted a cook. Been really busy and haven't been taking as many pics lately but I finally got a chance to post some pics. I had an opportunity to cook for my co-workers at an offsite team building BBQ so I cooked up a prime grade brisket with burnt ends, spares, and brunswick stew at home and then took my Small and Mini over to cook a prime tri tip and some wings there. I didn't get pics of everything but here's some of what I did get to take pics of. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I've been playing around with my Brazilian style skewers. I stumbled upon some Picanha at Restaurant Depot without having to buy a 50 lb case. One was cooked on my Small: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And I tried my hand at some koobideh kabobs (some meat fell off one of the skewers onto the cooking grid below): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Some cedar planked king salmon for my wife and my MIL: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Probably the most marbled and buttery tasting tri tip I've ever cooked (bought it in July but had to freeze it and cook it months later): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Some lamb loin chops on the Mini: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A couple of spatched chickens on the Large: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Some nice short ribs: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Back in Sept we had a little getaway vacation up in Tahoe and I took our Mini along. I was hoping to cook with the Mini in some scenic locations but unfortunately we took our trip while the huge King fire was burning away and depending on the winds the skies could be filled with smoke (normally was when I was out cooking X( ): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
It was so smokey at times it was hard to see the sun (near the top of the tree in the background) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

In the morning of that same day, the skies were clear: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Fortunately it was pretty clear the next day and we were able to go for a hike and see a downed tree with some great lines: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Outstanding!!!   ^:)^
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Beautiful photography and cooking @R2Egg2Q. I'm always excited to see what you've been getting up to!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Awesome Awesome post. I want to travel sooo bad - miss the mountains.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Wow. Great pics and great cooks!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Wow - great post. That tri-tip is amazing. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Those are some fantastic meat pics especially that brisket and I was particularly eyeing that super marbled tri-tip,wow, you have convinced me to buy prime more often. Nature pics were nice as well, looked like a ski lift at the top of that mountain.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Options
    It ALL looks incredible.   Thanks for sharing these.   The Brazilian skewers has my interest. Are they long enough to fit across a Large Egg?   Thanks for your post very nice.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    What more can be said.."FLIPPEN AWESOME"....Great post.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Excellent cooks, photos and narration. The trip tip had some serious marbling.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Hey, @R2Egg2Q‌ costco In vallejo carries 2 packs of prime tri tip, I bet the ones closer to you do now too.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

oh mah goodness!! You covered all the major meat groups. I'm bookmarking this for when I really need some food pr0n :)

I've been looking for picanha, but no luck so far. Someone said I may be able to get some cut with the fat cap left on at the grocery store. I have a set of those sword skewers and they are fun to cook with.

And kudos for the koubideh! Its really hard for me to keep all the meat on the skewers like that. I usually break them up into smaller kebabs and that seems to help, but you nailed it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited November 2014
    Options
    anton said:
    Those are some fantastic meat pics especially that brisket and I was particularly eyeing that super marbled tri-tip,wow, you have convinced me to buy prime more often. Nature pics were nice as well, looked like a ski lift at the top of that mountain.
    :-bd

Thanks! That's the cable car lift to High Camp at Squaw Valley.

Zuma said:
    It ALL looks incredible.   Thanks for sharing these.   The Brazilian skewers has my interest. Are they long enough to fit across a Large Egg?   Thanks for your post very nice.

I used them on my Large while cooking the koobideh kabobs. They're 23" in length from handle to tip but they're a litttle short for going across the center of the LBGE without exposing the handle to some direct heat (which is why my handle is wrapped in foil in the pic above). I got them on Amazon and they have some 25" versions that would be a better fit.

BYS1981 said:
    Hey, @R2Egg2Q‌ costco In vallejo carries 2 packs of prime tri tip, I bet the ones closer to you do now too.

I've seen the prime tri tip there but unfortunately they blade tenderize them and as a result recommend cooking them to an internal temp of 160 which would be ruining it for my tastes.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA