Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A.W. Perkins Co. Fire Starters

Options
Has anyone used these fire starters for the Egg?

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    No but I've used the Rutland version and those work fine
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Yep..I got a box of 144 for $21 including shipping off ebay.

The work great ...I actually cut them in have or fouths

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I used starters at first, then I brought my Mapp gas plumbing torch in from the van, needless to say, I had to get a new plumbing torch for work. It allows you to light multiple spots, or just one, depending on your cook. Super fast, one tank will probably last me a year of egg lightings.
    :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    anton.  Gonna be hard to go back to those starters now.  Think I just cost myself another torch.  But I'm wondering, don't you think the standard old propane torch would work fine?  Would be a lot cheaper, take my good one back to the shop.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @FarmerTom I found one in Grainger that is a propane, and it has more of a weed burner spread flame, not a concentrated plumbing/ brazing tight flame. Sounds like it would be perfect for egg lighting, have not ordered it yet though. Mounts to top of typical small tank,not sure about igniter or not. Was about $50.00, my Mapper is good for now though!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited November 2014
    Options

For less than $40 including shipping (Amazon Prime), you cannot beat this MAPP weed burner: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416372682&sr=8-1&keywords=map+weed+torch&pebp=1416372685760 

It can use both propane and MAPP, and is long enough to get your hands and face away from the action.   The flame front is larger than a standard torch, but not as large as some of the weed burners.  It has a built in electronic lighter too.

Santa Paula, CA
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Yeah, with my map torch, I can have it cooking in no time.  I live out in the sticks, always farm auctions and yard sales.  May just keep my eye out for a cheap used one.  But sure as I don't replace it, I will be running back and forth for my good one.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• theyolksonyou
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The mapp torch is a great cigar lighter also.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    The mapp torch is a great cigar lighter also.

Cigars should be chewed, not smoked :>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    bcsnave said:

Yep..I got a box of 144 for $21 including shipping off ebay.

The work great ...I actually cut them in have or fouths

I rarely use the firestarters, but when I do, I also cut them in in pieces.  I'll use one piece for a low and slow and 2 or 3 pieces a few inches apart if needing a bigger fire.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Mickey 
    What? No flame thrower for the MM? 
    <new favorite child>.    

B-)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!