Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Losses. Let's get real...

Options
Two years ago my baby brother, Derek age 29, passed away from a rare cancer called Ewing's sarcoma. He passed away on my daughter's birthday. Sunday we celebrated her 7th birthday and the two year anniversary of D's passing. I feel like D set it up so that we were forced to celebrate on this day. 

When I got my first Egg, Derek referred to it as the "that thing that makes everything taste like a cigarette."   If only he could see what I do now. Everything I do, everything I cook is dedicated to him. No thing or no one will stand in my way from honoring him. 

Who have you lost? 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your brother my friend. My sincerest condolences.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Sorry for your loss Craig. I am sure your brother would be proud of all the great meals you have cooked on your Egg. 

Thankfully I haven't lost a lot of family. All of my grandparents are gone and a couple of uncles, etc, but I still have my parents and my siblings. 

The one that probably hit me the hardest was the death of my high school best friend. We were very close growing up, but we had drifted apart and hadn't talked in about 5 years. He died unexpectedly about 5 years ago, and I was consumed with guilt. 

It really did a number on me. After his death people kept telling me what his life had been like for the past couple of years, etc, and he was a mess. I felt so guilty for not reaching out to him and trying to help him, but I didn't know the situation. No one told me. After it was all over they all kept saying "we thought you knew". 

I have reached out to a lot of old friends since then. You never know when you could lose one. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Really sorry for your loss Craig.  I can't imagine losing my brother.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    So sorry for your loss @BigGreenCraig‌. I would be a mess if I lost my big brother.

I lost my father when I was only 11 years old. It was a difficult time for me for a long time. I have an older brother that is 10.5 years older who really stepped in and was my father figure. He put things off because of me. That man has a heart of gold.

I'd love to have the chance to cook for my dad one time. He loved a steak and a cold beer.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Your brother would certainly be proud of the awesome food you turn out and the obvious passion you have for the BGE.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    Who have i lost?

Well, eight weeks ago, Diane , my wife passed from ovarian cancer, aged 49. She so hoped she could make it to the 4 th of December, for our teenage daughters prom. Wasn't to be...

Day at a time.

sorry for your loss
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sorry for your loss @BigGreenCraig‌
    @Aussie‌ :( so sorry for your loss
    I have lost too many family & friends alike to divulge and I miss each and every one of them. Peace be with all of the departed.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sorry for your loss Craig, I am absolutely sure he would be proud of your cooks and would insist on your family celebrating his life. 
    @aussie sorry for you loss, stay strong.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    Anytime a loved one passes it's never easy and it doesn't matter if it's friend or family. The best way to keep things in perspective is always remember that their passing though hard for us is a blessing for them. We should or need to be happy for them as they are no longer suffering and in pain.

Craig, cook away my brother continue to remember all the fun times and know that he's up above watching and having a cold one saying wow he really stepped up his game!!

@Aussie you know doubt have a long road ahead of you. Very sorry for your loss.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    Craig and @Aussie sorry for your losses guys. My best friend had been gone almost 20 years. I've never found another one like him. May he R.I.P

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    @aussie I am deeply saddened by your news. Stay strong friend. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I lost my mom almost 9 years ago, and it never gets "easier", but I think you learn to deal with it. I rest well knowing I am making her proud.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    My dad passed away 3 months ago. Everytime I cook Salmon or Pulled Pork, it's for him. They were his favorites.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Sorry to hear Craig and @Aussie. Craig I'm sure your brother would be proud of the cook you've become. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA