Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My loooooong BGE table...

Options
DeltaNu1142
DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
edited September 2014 in EGG Table Forum
Since bringing home my large BGE two weeks ago, I knew I needed a table. I've been staging things on a plastic folding table, which means when I remove the grate or PS, I've got to put it on the ground. I have a spot on the side of my lanai (it's a Florida thing... in Maine we call them "porches") that is almost 10' from the wall of the house to the far side. It's all screened in. So, I took the NW plans and streeeeeetched them out using 8' 2x4s rather than cutting them down to 58". My table measures 94" long by around 26" deep. It's over 32" high, probably closer to 36" between the casters and the bottom 2x4s. I used fir 2x4s for the structure, and clear pine 1x4s for the top & shelf:

Today, I went to HD for one last 2x4 to support the bottom of the table top, and grabbed some stain & spar urethane. Here's how it looks after one coat:

I hate staining. Staining is around #6 on my most hated things list, somewhere below child molesters and anything related to Justin Beiber. I finished coating the top, and then grabbed that folding chair to do the rest. That's when I had an epiphany--because I'd put the casters on already, I could stay stationary and move the table around to reach the parts I needed to stain. After that, it went smoothly... I held the stain cup with my left hand, alternated between a brush and a beer with my right hand, controlled drips with a rag around my right foot, and kicked the table around with my left foot. For about an hour, I was the Neil Peart of staining.

For those keeping track, that's two Canadian references in one post. Had I been drinking Molson, it would have been a hat trick.

Tomorrow, later on this week or next weekend, I'll decide whether I want another coat of stain or to just start applying urethane. Tonight I try my first frozen ribeyes on the BGE.

P.S. - Yes, that is a framed print of Nixon bowling in my garage. My tasteless wife won't let me put it in the house. Pffft.
LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice table. And dude, you need to post more often. I tried to visualize you doing your staining routine, and busted my gut laughing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Good looking table and funny post.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks like you have plenty of room to add another egg or two later down the road.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Monster prep area. Nice table. Any intention on installing a granite inlay in the prep area. I would doubt it since you've went to acrobatics of staining it. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Monster prep area. Nice table. Any intention on installing a granite inlay in the prep area. I would doubt it since you've went to acrobatics of staining it. ;)
    Actually, yes! I have a 12x24 granite tile I snagged at a flooring place for $15. I had every intention of laying it into the top, but I lost motivation. I figured I could just set it on top for hot stuff/cutting, as needed. I may change my mind.

I forgot to mention, this is really just a temporary table, until I work up the coin for an outdoor kitchen. That involves adding to the existing slab, more pavers, electric, and a drain... so I just need this table to last me a year or two.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    nice table cant waite to see your cooks and your editoral on them 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Very nice. Be sure to post up picks of it all setup.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Looks great. It's a limo table.
    Dunedin, FL
  • tjosborne
    Options
    Looking good so far.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nice table! If I was on the ground, I might do the same. Up in my deck; I have my large in a nest with handler and a SS table next to it
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Nice table. IMO you will appreciate the extra space. I cut my table to about 5 feet. And now my next project will be a prep table. Enjoy!
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Makes a lot of sense to have the prep area and space.  I'm working off the eggmates and it often feels cramped.

Only place I've heard the term "lanai" is in Hawaii. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Another solution would be a nice high-density polyethylene cutting board. Pretty reasonably priced, multiple colors, multiple thicknesses, very durable and they can just be hosed off when necessary. You can just lay it on the table and prep away without harming or staining your finished surface.

http://www.cuttingboards.net/custom-sized/?gclid=CMjtloWO8cACFa5cMgodTT0AJQ
  • Egglovin
    Options
    Very nice job, cant wait to see the egg loaded and ready to rock
    Grilling in Ga
  • DeltaNu1142
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I didn't get the urethane on today. Maybe some night this week. I'd like to load the BGE & attach some tools by next weekend.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Plenty of room for future eggs. Way to be proactive
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DeltaNu1142
    Options
    I came back to check out some turkey ideas and realized I'd never posted a finished photo. I'm doing a reverse sear on a couple of filets. A daytime photo would probably be better, but I'm lucky I even thought of it now...

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Delta, does it get hot under egg? I see legs but nothing else
  • Bojangles
    Options
    Clever original post, loved the writing.  
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • MidModClod
    Options
    Well done! you can never "over table". But I see your Hat Trick...you just forgot to call it the "Stain-ley Cup"
  • Railtech
    Options
    That looks great, love the color!
    LBGE Alpharetta, GA
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    bigger is better. this is great
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Delta, does it get hot under egg? I see legs but nothing else
    Not that I've noticed. It's the table nest only. There's around 3" of air space under the Egg?
    Well done! you can never "over table". But I see your Hat Trick...you just forgot to call it the "Stain-ley Cup"
    Oooooh, well done.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Nice table, wishing I built a longer table 3 months ago. Then I would have a home for the mini max when it arrives.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I love the long table. You can't have too much room. Good job. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Great post. I needed the laughs today Thanks to whoever bumped this post
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    @DeltaNu1142 Is the egg inside a screened porch? Any issue with the heat out the top and the ceiling above? Discoloration or anything like that?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Yes, it's screened in. And no, no issues with heat or smoke yet that I've noticed. The ceiling is painted off-white and is quite high. There are two ceiling fans up there that I only use when the smoke gets to be too much for SWMBO.
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Between the plate setter, the adjustable rig, a couple of stones and now three grids, the lower shelf is getting cluttered. Today, I decided I'd put a drop-down drawer under the top to hold some of that stuff.

I picked up a hinge at HD for the rear of the shelf.

Roughed out a box for the shelf.

I had to move my paper towel holder left, which I think I like better. The drawer will be exactly the width of the span between those two supports. Just enough room to hold things 18" diameter, fortunately.

I'm going to route out a channel in this box for a plywood bottom, then just put it in untreated. 
    The less "finished" I make this table, the more motivated I'll be to put in something permanent.

I have a couple sliding locks to keep the shelf in place in the up (hidden?) position, but I don't really have an idea for limiting its downward swing yet. Rope? Chain? Maybe some lid stay hinges like these:

I should be done with this tomorrow.
  • DeltaNu1142
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Finished the drop-down drawer tonight. It's about what I had in mind. Maybe I'll stain it after all. It's entirely hidden. As long as SWMBO doesn't see me using it... I can put practically anything in there.  =)

Finished drawer:

Drawer installed, up position:

Drawer installed, down position:

It'll fit a couple of grates, parts of my AR, and a drip pan.