Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attn: Boat Experts - Opinions?

Options
A couple fishing buddies and I are looking to buy a used small boat.  Something good for bay/marsh/lake fishing around New Orleans.  I only fish salt water.  Our budget is around 5K. 

I took a look at a 17' Boston Whaler yesterday - dude wants $5k.  http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/4729599595.html

It's structurally sound, but old.  1981 hull, 2003 Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke.  Lots of holes drilled on the inside from decades of accessories.  Center console seat is brand new. Crappy paint job.  No soft spots inside or out, transom is structurally fine.  Nice controls, electronics.   It's ready to fish, just not pretty.  Bumper needs replacement.  Trailer is hot dipped and will probably last forever.  Good shape.

No mechanical problems.  

Any opinions?  Should I get something newer.  I figure the Whaler will only appreciate as I fix it up (fill the holes, new bumper, new paint job, etc).

We went out early this morning in our friend's boat and ended up getting towed back.  Didn't even get a line in the water.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Egg = $300/purchase. BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand. I love being on the water, but man it gets expensive fast. Offer 4
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Here is some thoughts...
    • All boats look much better in the little internet pictures than they do in real life.
    • Old whalers can have an issue with the foam core absorbing water.  It can add hundreds/thousands of pounds to a hull ... and it won't have soft spots.
    • Whalers like that ride a bit rough, but they are good all purpose protected water boats.  How good is an unsinkable boat if your spine is compressed and your teeth have rattled loose getting to the fishing grounds?
    • That engine is bulletproof if its been well cared for.
    • Splitting boats with friends can be tough.  It's a cheap boat, but some people underestimate the costs of boating ... even with a cheap boat.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Cowdogs‌ that was way more thoughtful than my post. But you're correct boating gets expensive quickly.
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Options
    @badinfluence took the words outta my mouth.  The best boat in the world is a friend's boat.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good info.  I was concerned about all the small holes in the inside hull allowing water to infiltrate.

I'm not worried about the friend sharing thing, dilutes the cost of ownership and these are guys with kids out of school and some disposable income. 

Yeah, that motor is a workhorse.  I see those Yamahas on many of the small commercial boats around here.  Good info.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I think you should sell the Porsche and buy a better boat.
    Hey I'm available to go fishing now that I closed my shop ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• nolaegghead
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @TigerTony - Ain't selling that any time soon!  I'll keep you in mind for fishing though.  But I think I'll buy a newer boat.  
    Options
    How long have you been thinking about buying a boat?  Is this a recent whim, or have you been looking for quite awhile.  Some have mentioned how much money a boat can continue to cost, but they also take up time, time beyond the time you spend in the boat.  Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, "Am I really a boat owner kind of person or not?"  The answer to that question should help you answer your other question.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RiverRatSkier
    Options
    If you tap the hull with the handle of a hammer or block of wood, you should be able to hear a difference between dry foam and wet foam.  The dry foam will sound like a sharp crack, while the wet foam will sound like a dead thud.  Check the transom too.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Zmokin - I've had several boats in the past.  Boats are like children - some need more attention than others and all cost money.

@RiverRatSkier - Good advice.  I'm going to steer clear of this boat based on the number of holes drilled in the cockpit.
    You should look into an all fibreglass boat, repairs are easier and cheaper.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Find a small privateer- great rugged boats built right here in NC.

Really first thing to consider is what kind of fishing you plan to do- then get one step up from that. Not sure how it is in NOlA but here bay boats limit you to rivers and maybe sounds when water is less than 2-3'

Get a radio- things happen even to professional captains.
    Greensboro, NC
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'd look for a newer hull as well. Agree that power plant is killer.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Boating is great, enjoy it. I figure that the five or six dozen salmon we actually caught still cost me over $500 a fish, but the fun we had was well worth it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Boats are like really good friends; happy to hang at your house( for a day on the water) but really glad when it's time to close down the party and all I have to do is get from the dock to wherever I'm sleeping that night...
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Nola, I pretty much have had THAT boat since 1985 here in South Flarida where I've used it to catch bass and snapper in shore, sailfish and dolphin offshore, ski and wake board in the canal in my backyard, dive in the Keys, and go out for sunset happy hours. My version has been a 1968 hull, which had wood console, wood seat (RPS), and wood decking. The 'glass console and seat are much better on maintenance. It's the perfect small boat! Especially for inland water. It'll go through shallows, get up on plane quick with the 90, trailer easy with a class one hitch and most any vehicle, and readily launch with one person. The only question here would be the condition. Once you satisfy yourself it's in good condition make an offer.

The boat works well for one, two, or up to about three people, after about four it starts to get crowded. 

You won't see too many other boat brands on the water older than a old Boston Whaler. There are ways to detect if the hull is holding water but the probability is low and even lower that that is the reason the dude is selling it. I wouldn't worry to much about that. 

Everything's a trade on a boat. So the boat's not in 'pretty condition'. And yeah, the hull pounds a little but that's mostly in open water when there are swells. That's about the only bad news. There's a lot of good news. If it's just choppy she'll get up on top and fly. Usually inland water is pretty smooth so that shouldn't be much of a concern. The hull is very stable and two-three-four guys can walk around in it without pitching somebody into the water. 

The Yamaha 90 will make her go bout 40 mph and she'll get about 4 mpg, that's very good for any boat and even better with that kind of speed.

The two stroke 90 Yamaha is no longer available in the U.S. It's the best small engine ever made and is the best engine ever made for this Whaler. If the boat and engine are in good shape as is the trailer $5K is a good price and you can start with a lower offer and the guy will take it. The only thing it really 'needs' is a top for shade, and those aren't expensive. And you can get parts for Whalers all day long.

All that and if you go to sell it in five ten years it'll still be worth about the same! 

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    After many years of boat ownership of many types, sail and power, my observation is that it has always better to be a good fisherman. You are frequently asked to go fishing by someone who has a great boat, but often knows little or nothing about how to go about actually trying to catch a fish. It is a joy to only have to show up on time, bring you own well maintained rods and tackle, pay for your share of bait and fuel, help cleanup the boat and put it to bed for the next trip ,and WALK AWAY at day's end . If you are a good fisherman and use this philosophy of being helpful , you are almost always asked to go again......took me many years and thousands and thousands of dollars to learn this, but a boat is truly a hole in the water in which to throw money.....
    Berlin, Maryland
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    WoW. Seems to be a lot of unhappy ex-boaters. The same things can be said about cars, houses, wives, and BGE's. I'd say you get out what you put in. And life ain't fair. So live it anyway!
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I'm a very happy owner of a 18.5 Sea Hunt. My brother has the same boat you're looking at with a 90HP Evinrude. A 90 will make that thing leap out of the hole and fly. Ditto the comments on it being a rough ride in chop. Agree that it will hold it's value. I'd have the motor looked at by a mechanic and/or view maint records, i.e., has the impeller been replaced? Has the lower unit been serviced? I enjoy having my lower unit serviced by an expert BTW.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Having the trolling motor is gonna let u sneak up on those tailing reds. I'd buy it.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I think everyone likes having their lower units serviced by experts!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would grab it at that after checking the lower unit and the engine itself. If you don't see any hull cracks or chips you are golden. Boston Whaler doesn't have a problem with osmosis. We have a 90 Yamaha about that age on our centre console that is about that age. Indestructible.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I would offer that you need to ensure you can keep the number of surfacings at least equal to the number of dives :)>- 
    And yes I have owned a few non-gubmint issue targets and enjoyed them regardless of the $$.  You have decided on the want/need and you have the luxury to spread the $$ across a few others.  If it has a solid hull and engine then...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Boating is great, enjoy it. I figure that the five or six dozen salmon we actually caught still cost me over $500 a fish, but the fun we had was well worth it. 
    Too funny Skiddy! I had a 32' Uniflyte on Lake Ontario for a few seasons many years ago. I used to say it was $1000 bucks a pound for fish you couldn't eat

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Too funny Skiddy! I had a 32' Uniflyte on Lake Ontario for a few seasons many years ago. I used to say it was $1000 bucks a pound for fish you couldn't eat
    The dyslexic version of your boat, mine was a 23 foot cuddly cab Sea Ray. The salt chuck can get a bit intimidating in anything less than a BC Ferry and sometimes even they lurch about pretty good. Boys used to like hooking dog fish (among the ugliest of God's creations) when they discovered our flare gun would handle a 12 gauge shot gun shell, it was easier to blow them off the tackle than try and remove the hook from their spikes everywhere bodies. Some great memories. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I bought a 42' carver after that and moved to another lake. 2 225 gallon tanks with 4 barrels....ouch!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I bought a 42' carver after that and moved to another lake. 2 225 gallon tanks with 4 barrels....ouch!

Carver makes a solid vessel. I used to work at a dry storage marina. I started and drove at least 100 boats a day.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I loved that boat but with all the crap I had on it I couldn't get it up on plane even with the 2 454s.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You stay out of the water...I'll stay in.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN