Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought our first EGG

Options
So excited that we bought our first egg this past weekend.  Scouring through recipes to see what to cook first :) 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase!! What size did you buy?  Keep your credit card out because the egg has to be outfitted with all the cool toys B-)

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    Welcome!  For me the Egg is pure joy!  Here's to many happy years!!!!
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!!  Cooking just got a whole lot more fun for you.  Any questions you have, there are a lot of good people on here to help you out.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    Congrats and welcome!  Have you bought bigger pants yet?
    Los Angeles, CA
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Welcome and stock up on beer! Spatchcock chicken was my first cook, and baby back ribs was my second. Both were great! Good luck and enjoy the journey!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Options
    I like how the OP titled it "just bought our first Egg".... already fully aware that they'll be in the market for a second one soon
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Bojangles said:
    I like how the OP titled it "just bought our first Egg".... already fully aware that they'll be in the market for a second one soon

That was my thought as well. 

Welcome aboard the crazy train.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options

One of my favorite sites (in addition to this one) is Nibble Me This

Spatchcock chicken is a good start.  ABTs are good too.  I think the first thing I cooked that came out really well was a whole turkey.

Since I know you live in central Arkansas - get Ozark Oak at Harp's for your fuel. 

There's lots of good information here, so use that search tool and don't be too shy to ask if you can't find what you need.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@jlcondley Congrats on the new BGE. I am sorry we could not make the Eggfest, work was calling and could not break away. I do hope to make it next year. Enjoy your BGE and ask away on the questions. There are a lot of great people on the forum and willing to help the new ones.

Remember, takes pictures and post those cooks or it never happened.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Congrats on buying the greatest cooker/smoker/grill ever!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
    Congrats. Lots of good people and information here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And as mentioned above, very perceptive with the "first egg" comment.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction. Enjoy your new BGE. Lots of recipes etc. Use the search and you'll find all kinds of new and exciting things to make for your family.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Cook something you make normally so that the only variance is the egg.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • weekender
    Options

First welcome to the madness and congratulations on the new Egg.  As a recent Egg owner myself I can say that this forum has been great in helping me.  The first thing I did honestly was to learn how to control the temp on the Egg as this will dictate how you control all your cooking.  I started with some eay targets such as 350 - 500.  Get used to what it takes for settings of the bottom vent and the daisy wheel to hit and MAINTAIN those temps.  Good items to try are ABT's, spathcock chicken and even salmon.  Then try a long low and slow cook such as a pork butt or some ribs.  As I learned this past weekened you really have to choke the egg down pretty far to get it to 225 - 250.  Once you have that down you are ready to rock and roll with anything from low and slow to pizzas and anything you can imagine.

Good luck and know that if you ever need help this forum has some great people who can help you.

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome my friend, I hope you enjoy your new egg as much as I enjoy mine. Welcome to the forum there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here if you have any questions or problems just ask and someone will gladly help you. Have a great time and looking forward to your input.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Welcome aboard!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Here are the recipes from Eggtoberfest. Enjoy! 

New Albany, Ohio 

• DoctorMojo
    Options
    Congrats!! I am sorry to tell you that you probably won't enjoy eating out as much any more. I have had a hard time finding a steak out anywhere that I couldn't have done better on the egg. Enjoy the ride!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• jlcondley
    jlcondley Posts: 19
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!  I feel so loved :)  I was able to get some great recipes at this weekends event and have already been searching this site like mad LOL  I love to cook as it is (don't claim to be a chef, but I do blog about it LOL)  I will post my journey on this new adventure LOL

http://janniecondley.blogspot.com/
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Congrats and welcome! Your cooking just got better!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Baine
    Baine Posts: 19
    Options
    Congrats and welcome.