Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stromboli

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    They honestly were very good. But the color looked off to me.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @BearQ‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Bear.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited October 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    @cazzy‌ How did mine look? Thumbs up or down. Mine was curved do to using the small 13" stone.
    I'd eat it!!!

I'm no expert....but I'd eat it too!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

They honestly were very good. But the color looked off to me.

You had some thin spots so that partly attributed to it. Use a egg wash next time instead of butter.

It will help you get the golden color you were looking for.
    photo PotPie1of2_zps88115c9e.jpg
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    I will certainly give that a try for sure. Probably tomorrow.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:

@cazzy‌
    I will certainly give that a try for sure. Probably tomorrow.

Make sure you keep the dough as even as possible. You don't want to see the toppings through the dough, so just keep that in mind. Use a roller if you don't know how to hand press.
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    That right there may be part of the reason my color was patchy. You could definitely see some toppings sticking out of the dough. I didn't realize that would make a difference. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

@cazzy‌
    That right there may be part of the reason my color was patchy. You could definitely see some toppings sticking out of the dough. I didn't realize that would make a difference. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Not part of the reason...it was the reason. :) If the dough is transparent, it won't brown.
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Gotcha. Thanks man.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Gogogordy‌
    The first one was all meat and cheese. I ate every bite of it in one sitting.
    The second one was a vegetable stuffed Stromboli. It was for the wife. The meat stuffed one was par excellent taste wise. I can't speak for the vegetable one, but the wife seemed to like it.

Status- Standing by.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    They looked great Im hungry now
    When we were out in the field and wanted to make pizza we would use tea biscuit  dough the guys loved it .We had no way of profing the dough so it work great for us
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Jesus..... @SGH - You're my hero  :))
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@SGH way to keep after the pizza/stromboli!  They all look very tasty to me. 

I would echo whoever made the earlier comment about trying some pre-made dough.  Don't roll it out too crazy thin, make your stromboli, and let it cook indirect at a reasonable temperature, like 350 degrees.  I think you've pushed the biscuit dough as far as it will go - pizza dough will probably be easier and more forgiving.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options

@SGH After enjoying your posts, a watching Andrew Zimmerman  show from 07 on The Gulf Coast I really need to get that way next year,

Great Looking Cook!

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    That all looks awesome -- particularly the naan.  Homemade dough?  (I've used frozen Trader Joe's with great success, but haven't tried making my own.)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yup, I have also been taught that stromboli (usually longer and thinner) has sauce on the inside and the calzone (usually a pizza round folded over) has sauce on the side.

I think it all comes down to taste, and it sounds like it was good and it looked good.  Since you are asking for feedback, though, it almost looked like the filling to dough ratio was too high.  You want some of the crust in every bite along with the toppings, or else you are just eating a hot pile of cold cuts with cheese (not that there's anything wrong with that!).  You don't have to be able to pick it up and eat it...but I usually find that a stromboli you can pick up, and a calzone needs to be eaten with a knife and fork.

Fun to cook.  Looks good. Tastes great.  SGH FTW!!!  (For the win!)  ;)

Oh yeah, the ones I make at home are always curved also.  Even in the oven you run out of space if you're cooking on a stone.  It's all good in the hood!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks great whatever you call it......... Also that is a way cool BIG ASS SPATULA!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    looks good from here, sauce no sauce, folded, rolled,, i see them named either way in the italian north end of boston. i think this argument started the first time two italian ladies moved next door to each other
    :)) or maybe it was two italian brick layers opening there lunch pails up at break and yelling the others mother couldnt cook
    :D just dont tell whitey his mother dont know the difference between a calzone and a stromboli
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Did you have anything between the PS and pizza stone?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @GATraveller‌
    No sir. I sat the stone directly on the plate setter. I don't know if this is proper or not. Hope someone gives input on the matter.
    @fishlessman‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.
    @HendersonTRKing‌
    The naan dough was store bought.
    @cook861‌ @BRush00‌ @blind99‌ @lkapigian‌ @Brisket_Fanatic‌ @KiterTodd‌
    Thank you all for the kind words and compliments my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    That stromboli looks great.

BTW is it just me or does @SGH's avatar give you nightmares.  It remind me of the circus clown that chased me once

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    That's an awesome looking Stromboli my friend..... No need to be straight... I get some great ones at Mellow Mushroom...also my family is Italian so I'm used to the so called Calzones.... I'd be glad to sample yours...yummy!!!
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    As always I thank you for the kind words my friend. For a first attempt I was very satisfied with the out come. Will be doing this again for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I'd give yourself the Seal of approval for this one.
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you brother but I don't think I earned the SOA with this one!!

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH
    I saw you asked about sitting the stone directly on the plate setter earlier and didn't get an answer yet.

Here's is my $0.02 for what it's worth (not much usually).

Putting the stone directly on the PS can allow the radiant heat from the fire to conduct through the PS to the stone. A gap created with washers, stainless nuts, etc will prevent that.

Why? For extended extremely high temp cooks (pizza) the stone can get too hot and scorch the bottoms. By creating a gap the stone maintains a more even temperature.

Whether or not this is needed depends on the intensity of the infrared coming from the burning lump below the PS.

Again, all this is just my $0.02, take it for what its worth.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    By god I'd eat that in a hurry! Looking good brother SGH!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    @shtgunal3‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.
    @DMW‌
    Thanks for the tip my friend. I will create a gap between the stone and the setter on my next attempt. Again thanks man.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌
    And for the record: Your 2 cents is worth a fortune in my book my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Do you recommend a gap between the 2 pieces when doing pizzas and such?

Status- Standing by.