Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max at Eggtoberfest

Options

Comments

• Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    Sounds like all the BGE haters have it figured out...now we just need them to Craigslist their Eggs so we can buy them!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Lit said:

@bcsnave‌ I have a 22" simpsons Weber kettle. It cooks wings much better than an egg. If you don't have one your missing out. Probably time for you to branch out your cooking options. If they discontinue the mini and small that affects the biggest reason people buy eggs the warranty. Its not me whining its reality at that point. Go look at the KJ divide and conquer that comes standard with the larges and big Joes. Check out their stand alone with all stainless hardware and band. Check out their new wireless temp controller they are developing. Then go to BGE's site and look at the new bottle opener, new umbrella, new clock, don't forget the 10' inflatable that'll get you cooking.

I'm afraid this is falling on deaf ears Lit. Most people round deez parts bleed green. They mistakenly think the BGE is the greatest thing to ever grace BBQ. There are plenty of peeps out there turning equally or better bbq on a plethora of cooking apparatuses. The bge is prolly the most versatile and definitely has the best community.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    cazzy said:
     It's evolution...you'll get there eventually.
    ohhhhhhh snap!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    All this talk reminds me of the old guard complaining that the company (BGE) started this forum without consulting them first.  They openly threatened to pull their loyalty from BGE as a protest.

Hell even RRP now visits the new forum here after leading the charge the other way, some things just come full circle.

Its refreshing to see change and development of new product. Who says they will walk away from any Egg's warranty?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Options
    I hate to admit this and Cazzy might be ostracized now, but this troll actually agrees with his comment above.
  • cazzy
    Options
    EggerinLA said:

I hate to admit this and Cazzy might be ostracized now, but this troll actually agrees with his comment above.

Damn man, you can't be doing stuff like this. Reverse trolling is hazardous to my BGE forum health. The last thing I ever wanted is for a bunch of strangers to see us on the same page. Please, please, please...go drink some BGE Kool-aid and find some clever way to disagree with my logic. [-O<
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Sounds like all the BGE haters have it figured out...now we just need them to Craigslist their Eggs so we can buy them!
    Nah, we just understand there are two different eggheads out there. Eggheads who are in the honeymoon phase and eggheads who are not and understand that the egg is just a cooking vessel and not the best for every job. It's evolution...you'll get there eventually.
    Bang on! 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Hey Crimsongator, thanks for the numbers.  It will fit under my cover by at least two inches.  More if I took out the bed-slid I built for the back of the truck.  That's perfect.  So all I have to do now is attend Eggfests where the Mini-Max is a door prize.  Or I suppose I could win the Lottery.  Or I could ........... I must be getting old - I can't even think up ways to come up with a measly $500.  At least, legally...

Leroy I have ask for 3 Mini Max to give away by drawing at the Salado EggFest in March. Have not got word back yet.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    seems like a fair price point, its only 500 dollars more than last years vision kub deal
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options

Lit said:
    @bcsnave‌ I have a 22" simpsons Weber kettle. It cooks wings much better than an egg. If you don't have one your missing out. Probably time for you to branch out your cooking options. If they discontinue the mini and small that affects the biggest reason people buy eggs the warranty. Its not me whining its reality at that point. Go look at the KJ divide and conquer that comes standard with the larges and big Joes. Check out their stand alone with all stainless hardware and band. Check out their new wireless temp controller they are developing. Then go to BGE's site and look at the new bottle opener, new umbrella, new clock, don't forget the 10' inflatable that'll get you cooking.

@Lit I agree with some of what you have said here. The Big Green Egg is not the ONLY cooking device. I also have had amazing results on a Weber Kettle with chicken wings, burgers, steaks etc... I finally retired my Weber several years ago since I was hardly ever using it.

I do however disagree with your statements on the KJ. I don't want to sound mean but I think you would be better off to sell your eggs and replace with the KJ product. Most of your posts on this forum are trying to down the BGE and place your KJ on a pedestal. I have friends with both (actually one just sold off the KJ after a warranty nightmare), I have cooked on both, and I have been a part of side by side tests on both. I will give the KJ credit on the divide & conquer as an indirect cooking tool. The KJ will yield similar results to the Egg but 100% plain and simply is not the same quality as the Egg. It is CHEAPER but the quality is NOT the same. The stainless band is a mistake and BGE went down this road years ago. The expansion rate is higher on stainless and this is why BGE went away from stainless and now just smile as the new guy on the block touts this as a benefit. Ever wonder why the KJ comes fully assembled from China? Go ahead and give your ratchet a few extra turns on the bolts on your band on the KJ and see what happens. These are made in the same plant as all of the other Chinese made knock offs and are just that, a knock off. If you like the KJ better then please do some of us a favor and put your Eggs on craigslist and replace with the KJ and relocate to their forum. Sorry if this comes across as hateful. Just tired of every new product announcement on this site quickly turning into the KJ is better for less. It is less. That's it.

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options

Lit said:

@Lit I agree with some of what you have said here. The Big Green Egg is not the ONLY cooking device. I also have had amazing results on a Weber Kettle with chicken wings, burgers, steaks etc... I finally retired my Weber several years ago since I was hardly ever using it.

I do however disagree with your statements on the KJ. I don't want to sound mean but I think you would be better off to sell your eggs and replace with the KJ product. Most of your posts on this forum are trying to down the BGE and place your KJ on a pedestal. I have friends with both (actually one just sold off the KJ after a warranty nightmare), I have cooked on both, and I have been a part of side by side tests on both. I will give the KJ credit on the divide & conquer as an indirect cooking tool. The KJ will yield similar results to the Egg but 100% plain and simply is not the same quality as the Egg. It is CHEAPER but the quality is NOT the same. The stainless band is a mistake and BGE went down this road years ago. The expansion rate is higher on stainless and this is why BGE went away from stainless and now just smile as the new guy on the block touts this as a benefit. Ever wonder why the KJ comes fully assembled from China? Go ahead and give your ratchet a few extra turns on the bolts on your band on the KJ and see what happens. These are made in the same plant as all of the other Chinese made knock offs and are just that, a knock off. If you like the KJ better then please do some of us a favor and put your Eggs on craigslist and replace with the KJ and relocate to their forum. Sorry if this comes across as hateful. Just tired of every new product announcement on this site quickly turning into the KJ is better for less. It is less. That's it.

Well, is this a forum of ideas centering around cooking on a type of cooker, or just a cheerleading site for one, single brand of kamado? If the latter lets stop talking sous vide, bread makers, meat monsters, cigars, cars, and all the other sundry subjects that get bantered about here. You can't go to a party and stand in the middle of the room and tell people to stop talking about certain subjects.... You don't like the subject matter, go find another conversation.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I just want to know if there will be a Mangrates that fits on the MiniMax. =))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @biggreenpackerfan there was a post recently about the expansion rates of steel. There were several different types of stainless that were actually rated in the top tiers so that argument is kinda moot. As another poster posted above just about everything is discussed on this forum if you don't want to read it then don't. Also I sold my small egg after getting the Joe Jr in my opinion it was better quality and better built. Also the KJ is not really cheaper than the egg the Big Joe stand alone is actually like $400 more than the XL green egg but it looks much nicer and hold much more lump even though the cooking areas are the same. The Joe Classic is also the same price as a large egg atleast here in GA you just get much more with it. I'm just over BGE putting out every accessory you could think of except new cooking ones. They still sell that foldable crappy rack extender how in the world has that not been upgraded?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I just want to know if there will be a Mangrates that fits on the MiniMax. =))

Griff please call them as they are not taking my calls anymore =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Well, is this a forum of ideas centering around cooking on a type of cooker, or just a cheerleading site for one, single brand of kamado? If the latter lets stop talking sous vide, bread makers, meat monsters, cigars, cars, and all the other sundry subjects that get bantered about here. You can't go to a party and stand in the middle of the room and tell people to stop talking about certain subjects.... You don't like the subject matter, go find another conversation.

It's definitely the former. Most other kamado sites are the latter.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    With that settled, the subject of competing brands is going to be part of the landscape here. Warts and all.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FWIW @Lit‌ I SERIOUSLY doubt BGE will or would 86 the SBGE OR the Mini from their lineup.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Gogogordy said:

Lit said:

Well, is this a forum of ideas centering around cooking on a type of cooker, or just a cheerleading site for one, single brand of kamado? If the latter lets stop talking sous vide, bread makers, meat monsters, cigars, cars, and all the other sundry subjects that get bantered about here. You can't go to a party and stand in the middle of the room and tell people to stop talking about certain subjects....
    You don't like the subject matter, go find another conversation.

@Gogogordy‌ i disagreed with your statement as you thru me directly under the bus with the meat monster comment.

I think ALL would agree i bleed green. My ONLY complaint about the BGE is they are hard to move to a comp cook as i walk with a cane due to a hip problem.

But i have to agree almost EVER post from @lit is how much better the KJ is so maybe he should sell his egg.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lit
    Options
    @Badinfluence did you not see where I said I love my eggs? I only stated I would be pissed if they discontinued either the small or mini because that undermines their great warranty. I don't remember ever starting a post here about how great the KJ is but I have seen a post about how great the meat monster is. I actually like your posts and seeing other cookers so I would never complain about that but at the same time you have to understand alot of the members here now have KJs and don't mind seeing posts about them. Also maybe BGE will see this on their own forum and start developing some useful accessories. If they would I would buy them just like everyone else.
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    I was raised that when you are a guest in someone's house you don't criticize the cooking or accommodations. This is BGE's house. We can discuss a variety of topics but need to be careful of what we say AND how we say it. If anyone wants to criticize BGE for what they think are errors, they need to either do it in a tactful way, refrain from comparisons or do it somewhere else. Anything less is lacking class. .
  • cazzy
    edited October 2014
    Options

Lit said:

@Gogogordy‌ i disagreed with your statement as you thru me directly under the bus with the meat monster comment. I think ALL would agree i bleed green. My ONLY complaint about the BGE is they are hard to move to a comp cook as i walk with a cane due to a hip problem. But i have to agree almost EVER post from @lit is how much better the KJ is so maybe he should sell his egg.

It's definitely not just you, so I wouldn't sweat it.  About half of @SGH 's posts are on his vertical and nobody complains.  I personally don't care and it's just teaching people more about BBQ.  Do the techniques transfer over to the egg, no...but i'm all about using the best cooking tool for the job (hell, that's my mantra), so I understand why he doesn't always use his egg.  If people don't like it, they can always just move along to the next thread.

@Gogogordy made an excellent point and was spot on.  People post all different types of **** and it's all good cause the majority is BBQ or cooking related.  Many have benefited from the variety of posts so i'm all for it.

Where people are going to get flack is when they come here saying a competing product is superior.  That's going to ruffle feathers just like it would if someone went to KJ or Primo and started spewing about how great the egg is.  I get Lit though...BGE could be more innovative, but the innovation is out there.  I'd rather have something from Tom @ the Ceramic Grill Store that has excellent build quality.  Outside of the CI Grid, the accessories I do own from BGE are mostly crap.  

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I echo @cazzy. There is no point for BGE to make any aftermarket accessory when one already exists that is better than something they could design. I can't see anyway KJ is going to have a temp controller made that will be any different than any controller on the market, besides aesthetics. You can get whatever accessory you want for the egg as almost every single adjunct business designed their accessory for the egg, at least initially.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for posting the pictures.  That looks nicer in "real life" than I imagined.
    Does it come with the stand/handles?

I could see justifying that as an all-in-one solution for traveling with the egg and also just having something better suited for quick mid-week cooks.  Hmmmm...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Yes, the nest with handles is included.
  • Lit
    Options
    @eggcelsior the temp controller they are developing is wireless from the fan to the temp controller. The temp controller actually goes where the thermometer is on the kamado and is digital also so you can see it from a distance. Also has a selling point expected at $229 so they are upgrading the unit and lowering the price if it works out. The argument about the ceramic grill store is great and all but what maybe 10% of egg users know about CGS and the rest get stuck with crappy egg accessories.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Some sensitive product loyalists here.
    Seattle, WA
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I've tried to avoid posting in here but I just can't help myself...  For the price of the Minimax, maybe they missed the mark maybe not all I know is that it's usually easier for them to drop the price than increase it so it's hard to blame them for shooting high at launch.  Honestly all kamado's are expensive compared to other cookers that do a great job as long as the cook using it knows what they're doing.  The Egg, KJ, etc. kamado's can't make your food taste better if you can't hit your temps on both the cooker and the meat and your flavors.  

Is the Minimax for me/everyone?  Probably not, but others will feel differently about that and think it's a great deal.  Am I worried about the Mini/Small being phased out?  Maybe a little only because I have a Mini but realistically I doubt it will happen.  All marketing materials for all of the grilling season this year included the Mini, Small and Minimax which still isn't available for purchase yet so I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.  The Mini in my opinion is less likely to go since it's at that $400ish price point and I'm sure BGE wants to be there with at least one cooker.  Also the Small has more room in the cooker for indirect/plate setter than the Minimax and a rolling nest which will be attractive to some buyers as opposed to counter/table nest only, so why abandon that market because of a new product?

As for products/accessories my personal feelings on that is I've always preferred aftermarket accessories over accessories made by the same company that made my grill.  I was this way with Weber when I was using their grills exclusively and I'm this way with the BGE.  I feel like I pay extra just for the Grill branding on a product that is usually inferior or the same as my non-branded option.  Most of the time it's better that the grill/cooker companies keep their focus on the grills/cookers and let the accessory guys focus on accessories.  Look at the cellphone biz, not many phone makers make cases for their phones that are worth a damn, most come from specialty companies that make cases for a wide array of phone line.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lit said: @eggcelsior the temp controller they are developing is wireless from the fan to the temp controller. The temp controller actually goes where the thermometer is on the kamado and is digital also so you can see it from a distance. Also has a selling point expected at $229 so they are upgrading the unit and lowering the price if it works out. The argument about the ceramic grill store is great and all but what maybe 10% of egg users know about CGS and the rest get stuck with crappy egg accessories.

@lit. I know that, which is why I said it's no different
    aesthetically. It does not function any differently than something similar with wires.In that same price point, I can get a controller that monitors food temp too or spend almost $100 less and get one that does the exact same thing as what they are planning to offer. 

Two questions for me are: What is the wireless distance between the thermo and the fan? This could be a deciding factor because being able to control the thermometer wirelessly from inside would be a big deal.

Second, They seem to be having a mini-max moment with it as it was supposed to come out last fall. Right now it's only in beta testing as far as I've found, due to battery life.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Lit said:

Touché you make a very good point...to the user it's about the cook & innovation to help this....to the company it's market growth, cost savings (use existing components) and promotionals.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI