Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks, egg-forum, for being kinda cool and there when I need ya

Options

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Congrats!  Enjoy the memories, and keep cooking!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Happy flippin' 50!

No pics needed. Sounded like you had an absolutely wonderful time. SWMBO wonders why I go hard  cooking for family/friends when they visit, but its one of the most enjoyable things i can think of doing. And now yo have a grandbaby! w00t!

In August, we had family from all over come visit one week to hang out and see caliprince. My dad was here from India (mom passed away a few years back), my 2 sisters and their families, plus 3 of his brothers who live in the US and 2 cousins with their families. I spent 4-5 days feeding about 20 people every day. My ass was beat. The last night I took a picture of all the family we had present. Its the only picture my dad and his brothers now have of all of them, sine they were too poor to afford family pictures or a camera when they were kids. It made the whole week worth it.

And now, I gotta ask - have you scheduled your colonoscopy yet? :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    Happy flippin' 50!

No pics needed. Sounded like you had an absolutely wonderful time. SWMBO wonders why I go hard  cooking for family/friends when they visit, but its one of the most enjoyable things i can think of doing. And now yo have a grandbaby! w00t!

In August, we had family from all over come visit one week to hang out and see caliprince. My dad was here from India (mom passed away a few years back), my 2 sisters and their families, plus 3 of his brothers who live in the US and 2 cousins with their families. I spent 4-5 days feeding about 20 people every day. My ass was beat. The last night I took a picture of all the family we had present. Its the only picture my dad and his brothers now have of all of them, sine they were too poor to afford family pictures or a camera when they were kids. It made the whole week worth it.

And now, I gotta ask - have you scheduled your colonoscopy yet? :D

Nola is not a little old for your practice? =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Mickey - I didn't volunteer :) . Besides, he's young at heart!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Griffin said:

Congratulations and happy birthday.

Confused...did you grind the point or the flat for the burgers? Might just be me and not through a whole cup of coffee yet.

@Griffin‌ ground up the point. Had my brother remove all the bulk fat and we added bacon. Shot for 80/20
    Options
    GQuiz said:

Congrats NOLA. Right behind you on that magical mid-century milestone. If you need anything while you're in town, I'm 15 miles due west of Seguin in Schertz.

@GQuiz‌ Thanks! Actually driving through Seguin this very moment.
    Options
    @caliking‌ No scheduled butt probe at this point butt thanks for the reminder ;)

Congrats on your reunion, I feel your pain on the cooking... Tried to keep it simple so I could spend more time with people vs food for a change....
    Options
    The cook
    Options
    Slow process
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Now that's a grill!!!  Haha.  Hey, a real barbecue man ought to be able to make great food on anything.  Sounds like you did, meat looks tasty.  Congrats on the kiddo and the milestone.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH thanks brother Scotty! PS can't believe I'm older than you. Maybe that's because I thought you were 89 for some reason. ... ;)
    Options
    Congratulations Nola! And Happy Birthday my friend <:-P
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Happy Birthday Grandpa!  Now you can start a whole new chapter in your life.

What's your grandson gonna call you?

50 isn't too bad.  I'm sneaking up on 60, now that's getting old.

=D> =D>
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Thank you my brother. Hey for what it's worth, I look and feel 89. Does that count?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options

Slow process

Now that's what I call roughing it!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Happy 50th @nolaegghead‌ !!! Congrats on the grandchild.... It's what life is about. Grandparents are the best.....Enjoy the family, food, and friends....
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    You still overcame in the face of adversity with no egg, and  on a tiny grill, you sir are like a survivalist bbq'er!!
    ^:)^
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    PS - I just hung out with my mom (I'm at her crib) and it's what life if about - family, connections, BBQ.  The cake was delicious.  I am 50 now and I'm a muthaf*ckin' grandfather and it is seared and done and awesome.  Moving on, watching the young move on.  NOLA OUT.
    @nolaegghead, congrats on becoming a grandfather! I'm 51 and just became a grandfather for the first time 2 weeks ago. We have a precious little granddaughter. For me its hard to believe that I am now officially an old guy  =))
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Happy Birthday @Nola. Trust this next year will be awesome for ya. It is starting out right with an addition to your fam, and as Granny has stated, they do change your life. Enjoy, Enjoy. They are so precious.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Happy b'day and congrats grandpa. Grandkids are loads of fun...
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Thank you for being kind of cool ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Congrats grandpa. Looks like a great time was had. I was thinking, no way I could be a grandpa at 50, I'm way to close to 50 for that. And then I did the math...If my daughter has her first at the age I was when she was born, yep, before 50...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoctorMojo
    Options
    Happy 50th, Nola....laissez les bon temps roulez!!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I still feel like I'm 18, except it's easier for me to get out of bed, but after I do I feel the miles on my body and I have plenty of scars to prove it.  Starting to get a few grey hairs but I'm faring much better than my younger brothers in that department.  (I hope they read this!).

Still hasn't sunk in that I'm a grandfather as much as it should.  Kinda scary some of my DNA is still loose in the world.  For good or evil, I'm sure it'll be an interesting ride.  (Hopefully it's for good).
    Options
    @nolaegghead-your above post gave me a thought.  Which event do you think makes you feel older, the b'day or becoming a grandfather?  Just curious as I have quite a few more completed laps of the sun but not yet moved into the grandfather world. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @lousubcap - I'd say the grandfather part makes me "feel" older.  I never sweated the age number thing and I don't feel old body-wise.
    Options

Belated congratulations on the new grandbaby and on reaching your 50th birthday. 13 more months I will be joining the club also.

:!!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    @lousubcap - I'd say the grandfather part makes me "feel" older.  I never sweated the age number thing and I don't feel old body-wise.

I know what you mean.  When a became a grandpa it didn't sit too well being called that.  I was way too young and hip to be called that.  So I had to come up with a different name.  Went with G-Dad.  Sounds a little hip and happening.  Got a gold necklace and a Corvette too.  Took the sting out of it a little bit if you know what I'm saying.

Living Large and XL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't have enough chest hair for a gold necklace :D

I wanted to buy a Porsche when I graduated from college.  Sadly I ended up buying a minivan because of the new baby.  I've had plenty of fun cars since but never the Porsche I wanted.  So I pulled the trigger on that and a BMW F800R.  My old Audi A8 was falling apart (note to Audi owners, be warned autocross tears them up).   Anyway, midlife crisis is now just midlife and now the dust has settled, I'm just gonna build stuff in my shop and cook stuff on the egg.  And then there's work....but I like my job.
    Congratulations.  Grand kids are the best.  Happy belated 50th too.  Oh to be that young again.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014