Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Eggcessory thanks Brother @SGH

Options
Just got my Victorinox 14" Breaking Knife just in time to carve up the pork Loins for the Porchetta's I am making for the Eggtoberfest. This thing is much larger than I expected but I will make good use of it. Thanks Scottie.

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    You are more than welcome brother Whitee. Enjoy the big breaker my friend. With just a little care, it will serve you well for a life time. I use mine daily. You will soon discover that the big breaker has many uses. And for cold primals, nothing can approach it my friend. It is the premier primal knife on the market today. Enjoy brother Whitee.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    Now can I interest you in a complete set of breaking and reducing knives? Every home butcher shoud have them brother Whitee ;)
    Notice how the carcass knife dwarfs even the massive breaker and the splitter.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I could probably use a boning knife and one for slicing briskets next, baby steps....Thanks Buddy.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How much is that set ( or one like it)?

Little Rock, AR

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Thats a beauty @JRWhitee‌. Wow! @SGH‌ those are awesome knives....
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Those are some serious knives you have there must be into a lot of home buthchering to have those
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    I paid $48 for the 14" Breaker

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    I bought them individually my friend. Honestly don't know what each of them cost. But that said they are very inexpensive. They are all Victorinox except the carcass knife which is a Hobart and the splitting knife. Not even sure what brand the splitter is.

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Can you give me better details on what each one is so I can order a few of them?

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    Yes sir. From top to bottom.
    14" Breaking Knife.
    12" Breaking Knife.
    10" Breaking Knife.
    8" Breaking Knife.
    All the breakers are Victorinox.
    16" Victorinox serrated slicer.
    Off to the right is a massive 20" Hobart carcass knife. No longer made.
    The other is a 12" splitting knife. Not sure of the brand.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ Yes sir. From top to bottom. 14" Breaking Knife. 12" Breaking Knife. 10" Breaking Knife. 8" Breaking Knife. All the breakers are Victorinox. 16" Victorinox serrated slicer. Off to the right is a massive 20" Hobart carcass knife. No longer made. The other is a 12" splitting knife. Not sure of the brand.
    Which one do you use for a cooked brisket?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    More often than not I use the big breaker. It's kind of my go to knife for everything. It's just a wonderful cutting tool period.
    However in the unlikely event that the brisket is over cooked, I'm forced to use the 16" serrated slicer. Sometimes I allow my son to cook and this is where the overlooked briskets come from. Not from me brother Whitee ;)
    If it was just me cooking I could throw away the serrated blade ;)
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    Options
    Thanks @SGH I guess I will probably go for the 8" next.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    Honestly the 8" is near perfect for home use. It will more than do anything that you ever ask of it. I use the 14" as its what I was using at age 10 helping my grandfather bust apart hot carcass. Hard to break old habits. But for typical home use the big "14 breaker is more than overkill for most tasks. Just a tip. If you are a fisherman like myself, nothing disposes of hooked eels and catfish heads like the big "14 breaker. In this arena it stands alone and unchallenged brother Whitee.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Scotty @SGH‌ everytime I see your breaking knives they make me want to go buy one :-). I see these on one of my feeds all the time. These guys are fun to watch.
    BBQ Pork Belly on the Grill: http://youtu.be/LsAzNuwPFnw
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    @sgh where is the best place to buy these knives?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    @shtgunal3‌
    Online at KaTom.com. Absolutely the cheapest I've found brother Gun.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    @sgh where is the best place to buy these knives?
    I got mine at KaTom.com 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I have a couple Victornox knives that I bought at a knife store last year on vacation. I'll check the breaker knives out on KaTom. Thanks @SGH‌

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    For all things Victirinox, KaTom is absolutely the cheapest. Always.

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    It's threads like these that get me trouble... I need another sharp blade like I need a hole in da head... I don't think I even have a drawer deep enough or counter space enough to keep one of these meat swords... But I want one... Hell, I don't even cook that much meat; but I do like quality products and tools...

My daily carry blades are Benchmade or Gerber... I've got a ridiculously large Gil Hibben blade and my father's Puma White Hunter. My kitchen set is a Cutco...

Carry on... I just threw my credit card off the deck LOL
  • SGH
    Options
    @hapster‌
    Trust me when say that once you wield a 14" breaking knife that there is no turning back my friend. It's almost a magical feeling.

Status- Standing by.

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Yeah but the real question is.. Do they come with this guy? If not, I'm not buying.. haha

• SGH
    Options
    @‌Zarcon
    Even better my friend. They get 2 thumbs up from these fellows. What more needs be said ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Zarcon
    Options
    @SGH - Absolutely nothing my friend.. nothing at all
    :D
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Zarcon‌
    I'm just messing with you above brother Zar. I signed up on your site. Pretty cool my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Zarcon
    Options
    @SGH - Oh I know. I was just saying that if it comes with a backing from you two, there is nothing else to be said :)

And thank you very much my friend for joining. There is some tweaking to do but it's a start. Hopefully get some feedback from ya'll on making it better.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Zarcon‌
    Are we to post cooks on the new site or just rant and rave?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Zarcon‌
    I have a goat head cook I've been waiting to post until the weekend. I will post it on your sight if it's ok my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Zarcon
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @SGH - Sir, you may do whatever you like as long as it's legal :) Upload photos, videos, create a group, start your own blogging, sell something in the Store or Ads, whatever you want. You can always ask me if you want something else.