Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Trip to Austin

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
All, I will be traveling to Austin for work in a couple of weeks and would like a recommendation(s) for a dinner and perhaps something else to do on a Wednesday evening. Also, any recommendations on where stay, although I may have less leeway to choose my own hotel.

Other than dates, I don't have tons of details. I'll fly in on Tuesday the 14th. I actually have reservations at Qui for that evening. Wednesday I'll be on meetings at a state office building (will update tomorrow with the actual address) that are scheduled from 9:30-4. I'm flying out on Thursday the 16th; almost certainly too early to stand in line at Franklins.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys may have!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ Can offer good thoughts-

If you have half a day Franklins is great. If not @cazzy‌ can recommend some other good spots.

I would try to stay downtown- lots of cool bars and live music

Austin is a really great town- you will have a great time.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Austin is an excellent food town.  One of my favorite places in the US.  TONS of great choices, but last time I went (April) I discovered two places I thoroughly enjoyed (linked below)

La Condesa on 2nd St. is one of my favorite upscale mexican restaurants of all time.  .....and this is coming from a guy who lives 15 minutes from the Mexican border (El Paso, TX).

Lamberts throws down some solid upscale BBQ

Franklin BBQ is obviously a staple, but I don't know if you're willing to wait that long.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you have reservations at Qui, you win. I still haven't' been. Uchiko is my favorite these days. I think Wolfpack went there last time he was in town. Crazy good but pack your wallet.

For best BBQ- Franklins
    For best Tex Mex- Matts El Rancho
    For best Sushi- Uchi (they own Uchiko too but Uchiko is not really a sushi place. Hard to explain but you gotta try it. Paul Qui was the executive chef here before leaving to start Qui. 
    Best Upscale/Farm to table types- Qui, Uchiko, Barley Swine, and Capitol will get you started

There are hundreds of cool spots. let me know when you know where you are staying and I'll steer you right. There are also tons of cool watering holes and taco stands/food trailers if you really want to get the flavor of the city
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Options
    I have to second Cen-Tex's recommendation of Uchi..... that place is outstanding.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you really want BBQ and don't want to wait 4 hours, you could go to Cazzy's boy's place- LaBarbecue. He's been hit and miss for me but when he's on, he's as good as anybody.

Styles Switch is another Franklin's ex-pitboss (LaBarbecue is too) in Central Austin. I've heard good things but haven't been yet. You can get real close to Franklins with either of these places without the wait. Franklin's is the bomb though. Hands down winner in my book. I've never had a bad bite there and I've had a few misses at the other places in town. 

Salt Lick in Driftwood is a really cool place. not the best BBQ but the best place to hang out for sure. BYOB, drink a few beers under the live oaks and listen to music. It's 20-30 minutes from Austin. Very cool Austin experience

• Wolfpack
    Options
    Uchi was fantastic- my only negative was I had Franklins for lunch and was so stuffed I was forced to eat lightly. Highly recommend eating at the sushi bar if it's only one or two of you. Guys up there are great and will point you towards the best choices.
    Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Uchi was fantastic- my only negative was I had Franklins for lunch and was so stuffed I was forced to eat lightly. Highly recommend eating at the sushi bar if it's only one or two of you. Guys up there are great and will point you towards the best choices.
    Did you go to Uchi or Uchiko?

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I may just get slammed for offering this up, but if you want really good mexican food (not tex-mex) and a place that has some Austin stank on it, I would suggest Polvos.  It's not much to look at, but the food is very, very good and the drinks are excellent.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I may just get slammed for offering this up, but if you want really good mexican food (not tex-mex) and a place that has some Austin stank on it, I would suggest Polvos.  It's not much to look at, but the food is very, very good and the drinks are excellent.
    I like Polvos but we got thrown out last time we were there (not my doing but funny none-the-less). There are dozens of good dive spots like Polvos in town and they are one of the better ones. Definitely a local experience!

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hotel:  http://www.sanjosehotel.com/  This is just South of all the State Offices and such and right in the middle of a bunch of cool stuff on South Congress.

You have reservations at Qui - so you are good there.  Very good.

Get this while you still can:  http://www.brokenspokeaustintx.com

Near state offices and pure Austin:  http://www.scholzgarten.net

Then hit Barton Springs Pool followed by Shady Grove (http://theshadygrove.com/) and you will have had a taste of Austin as I know it.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    +1 on la Barbeque. I had their brisket and ribs a couple of months ago. Outstanding. 10 minute wait on a weekday.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    If you really want BBQ and don't want to wait 4 hours, you could go to Cazzy's boy's place- LaBarbecue. He's been hit and miss for me but when he's on, he's as good as anybody.

Styles Switch is another Franklin's ex-pitboss (LaBarbecue is too) in Central Austin. I've heard good things but haven't been yet. You can get real close to Franklins with either of these places without the wait. Franklin's is the bomb though. Hands down winner in my book. I've never had a bad bite there and I've had a few misses at the other places in town. 

Salt Lick in Driftwood is a really cool place. not the best BBQ but the best place to hang out for sure. BYOB, drink a few beers under the live oaks and listen to music. It's 20-30 minutes from Austin. Very cool Austin experience

Stiles Switch actually has ties to Louie Mueller Barbecue, not Franklin.  Lance Kirkpatrick worked under Bobby Mueller after John quit.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited October 2014
    Options

Like @The Cen-Tex Smoker said and I'll confirm, Matt's El Rancho is outstanding Tex-Mex.  I eat there every time I'm in or through Austin if possible.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    T
    lakewade said:

Hotel:  http://www.sanjosehotel.com/  This is just South of all the State Offices and such and right in the middle of a bunch of cool stuff on South Congress.

You have reservations at Qui - so you are good there.  Very good.

Get this while you still can:  http://www.brokenspokeaustintx.com

Near state offices and pure Austin:  http://www.scholzgarten.net

Then hit Barton Springs Pool followed by Shady Grove (http://theshadygrove.com/) and you will have had a taste of Austin as I know it.

that's all good right there.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:

Stiles Switch actually has ties to Louie Mueller Barbecue, not Franklin.  Lance Kirkpatrick worked under Bobby Mueller after John quit.  

Ahh- some dude (my brother in law) told
    Me it was franklins and I bought it.
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Did you go to Uchi or Uchiko?

Sorry you are right- uchiko
    Greensboro, NC
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I've also heard good things about styles switch from my friends. Franklin's- I'm not waiting in line for 4 hours for any food. I also want to eat at East side king.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bill Miller BBQ
    texaswig said:
    I've also heard good things about styles switch from my friends. Franklin's- I'm not waiting in line for 4 hours for any food. I also want to eat at East side king.

east side kings is good. That's a Paul qui place too. It's down and dirty in the back room of a campus heavy metal bar. Greatness. <> And you are wrong about waiting for Franklins. The line is a tailgate party and it's not often you can drink beer at 10Am in a parking lot at a "best in the world" type joint. And it is that.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I do like to partake in adult beverages.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    For breakfast hit up Juan In a Million and try their breakfast taco challenge. I dare ya. Hell, just try and eat one Don Juan.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Legume
    Options
    @Griffin that just made my stomach hurt and I haven't been there in 3 years!  It's an experience, one of those many unique Austin places and you can't leave hungry.
  • Acn
    Options
    Thank you all for the recommendations! Unfortunately, it was determined that I should fly home after my meeting tomorrow, so instead of wrapping up my day at 3:30 and exploring the city some, I will wrap my day up at 3:30 and drive to the airport, so I can fly and get back to BWI at 11:40. Perhaps when SWMBO (and perhaps SWMBO Jr) visit, I will have more time to explore and enjoy the city.

Qui was absolutely spectacular though, and two points to recommend them to everyone here:
    1) There is a BGE on their patio.
    2) One of the courses tonight was ono, one side cooked caveman style table side, on binchotan charcoal.

It wasn't cheap, but I definitely left full, and after a cocktail and the beverage pairings, nicely buzzed. 7 menu courses, plus a bonus course and an additional amuse bouche, it was probably as good, and definitely cheaper then my anniversary tasting dinner at Volt.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Options
    ALCS is at 3pm Austin time. Sounds like you need to grab a beer and some local food at the airport before your flight and watch what you can.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Legume said:

ALCS is at 3pm Austin time. Sounds like you need to grab a beer and some local food at the airport before your flight and watch what you can.

Snag some heavy sedatives too if the O's continue to play like this.
  • Acn
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but SWMBO and I will be visiting Austin and San Antonio in early-April (probably traveling on 4/5 and 4/11) and wanted to ask for some additional thoughts on Austin and new recs for San Antonio.

My first question - in Austin would you recommend staying on South Congress or East 4th (deciding between the Embassy Suites or Hilton)?  I'll take other recommendations, but I have Hilton points from work travel, so that will be tough to overcome.

All additional food recommendations, beyond the ones here are highly welcome, as are activity options - we'll have several days in both cities; we will probably fly into one and fly back to BWI from the other, and will rent a car to drive from one to the other, but as to how many days/nights in either or which to start in are still up in the air.

Thanks all!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Stay in the hilton. Much nicer than the embassy. The embassy is on SOCO but not the cool part.
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Don't know if it's any good but saw Foreign & Domestic on DDD last night when I couldn't sleep. Food looked pretty good- I hadn't heard of it before.
    Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Don't know if it's any good but saw Foreign & Domestic on DDD last night when I couldn't sleep. Food looked pretty good- I hadn't heard of it before.

It's awesome.
  • Acn
    Options
    Stay in the hilton. Much nicer than the embassy. The embassy is on SOCO but not the cool part.
    Thanks!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD