Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Cover Store Big Green Egg Cover?

Does anyone know if this will fit a Large BGE with the nest AND folding side tables? 
http://www.the-cover-store.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CSP06113TN3

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Sir I could not open the link to see the cover in question. But if it doesnt fit this may help. If you have a store around that sells spas and hot tubs they most of the time will custom make you one at a reasonable price if you give them the dimensions of your cooker. I had to do this with my vertical cabinet smoker. I have been well pleased with mine. Hope his helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I had to get a island style for the table I built due to the curved top shape. Have had it since Thanksgiving and like it so far.Got the 7 yr warranty one 

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• To clarify my original post, I have the standard folding side tables, NOT an egg that sits in a table. I called the Cover Store and asked them if it would fit and they couldn't tell me...told me to measure my egg. You'd think after selling a ton of these things they would have that information available. Sure I can measure but that still doesn't mean it's going to fit right. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have this one (same size/style in their "better" fabric, not your "best" grade)...

Fits fine over my wooden mates. No idea about the newer composite shelves, but there seems to be plenty of room. Because of the elastic around the bottom, it's a little awkward getting the cover over all the sharp corners (two shelves plus the hinge assembly), but it's not bad.

Here's mine before I got the mates...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    EDIT / RETRACTION: 

If it's important to you to be able to hook the elasticized bottom over the nest as shown in my pic, it DOES NOT FIT with the Mates!! I rarely use mine and don't bother with the lower part, so just to be sure, I just went out in the cold to install it. It fits fine over the upper part, but when I tried to stretch the elastic over all four nest legs, I poked a hole in the cover where it snagged on the mate hardware! Good I don't use it often. And that it was a gift.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks for the feedback! I've been researching covers for quite a while now and I"m amazed at how few options there are out there. You'd think there would be dozens of aftermarket brands made specifically for the BGE, with sizing options for the most common accessories (e.g., the side tables), given how popular they are. Sure there are quite a few generic options, but it seems like you sacrifice something when you buy a "generic" cover (e.g., doesn't fit right) or a cover from a different brand (Weber). 

I live in Wisconsin where the seasons take a toll on anything left outdoors so I definitely want the entire unit covered, otherwise it will eventually rust. And for what BGE charges for a nest, I certainly don't want to fork out $$ for another one.  I was about to pull the trigger on the Cover Store cover until your last post. Right now I'm leaning toward the Duck Cover. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Why not BGE cover? I live in Illinois and have had mine @ 8yrs. So old the velcro is pretty much worn out. I am very pleased with it.
  • Quite frankly, because I think the BGE cover is grossly overpriced. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    mkegreg said:
    Thanks for the feedback! I've been researching covers for quite a while now and I"m amazed at how few options there are out there. You'd think there would be dozens of aftermarket brands made specifically for the BGE, with sizing options for the most common accessories (e.g., the side tables), given how popular they are. Sure there are quite a few generic options, but it seems like you sacrifice something when you buy a "generic" cover (e.g., doesn't fit right) or a cover from a different brand (Weber). 

I live in Wisconsin where the seasons take a toll on anything left outdoors so I definitely want the entire unit covered, otherwise it will eventually rust. And for what BGE charges for a nest, I certainly don't want to fork out $$ for another one.  I was about to pull the trigger on the Cover Store cover until your last post. Right now I'm leaning toward the Duck Cover. 

I always wanted to have a boat cover place make heavy canvas one with a waterproof zipper down the front.  You would put the cover on the egg like a coat, the pull the zipper down from the top.  Expensive, but it would last forever........unlike BGE's cheap/junk vinyl covers.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Head up to your Lowe's and look at the covers they have up there. I have a large table, a large Egg and a Mini sitting on the end of the table and the cover I bought up there was pretty inexpensive, maybe $25, and it's going into its 6th year and looks new.

It's a black material and quite light.
  • Home Depot sells the Duck brand covers online. Go to the website and search for Duck grill covers.  They have a selection to choose from at reasonable prices.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I have covermates on my patio furniture and large umbrella...this is the first year, but they are waterproof and have the breathable vents for circulation.  They were very inexpensive ( I think 2 chairs, couch, and umbrella covers were just over $100 for all.  No problems so far...As for Egg covers, I just ordered one yesterday that will be custom made from Sunbrella...not cheap, but 10yr warranty!  It will pay for itself eventually...  check 'em out  www.grillwraps.com

• Cam05210, how much did your BGE cover cost you? 
  • Don't know if this help I have an xl with side mates fold them in and there is plenty of room inside the bge cover.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Funny, when I got the cover years ago I thought the same thing about the "cheap vinyl" . It has proven to be anything but. It has not torn. It is heavier than the nylon ones and tends not to be blown off. The logo is faded and worn off, but other than that and the Velcro literally being worn out from age and exposure, it is in prestine condition after 8 + years.
  • Duranhler, those links don't work for some reason. 
  • I see that. Search Amazon for Classic Accessories covers.
    There are at least 2 styles (Hickory & Veranda) with most BGE sizes at reasonable prices.
    Sorry bout the bad links.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • I actually ordered the Classic Accessories Hickory cover but sent it back. It's a wonderful cover, the problem is that it isn't long enough to cover the nest. That might not be a big deal to some, but exposed metal will rust over time. I have a Duck Cover that should be delivered today. I'll report back on how it fits, etc. 

Thanks for all the input/suggestions!
  • Mkegreg, if I may ask, what size did you order, did it fit over the mates?
    I understand your concern for full coverage of nest. My egg is parked on a covered patio, so I'm not worried about rust to much in Phoenix. Thanks
  • Duranhler,
    I ordered the cover for the Large BGE, and it fit very well over the folded down table mates. Very good quality as well. I think you'd be very happy with it if covering the nest is not a concern. Cheers!
  • Well I'm happy to report that the Duck Cover is awesome!! Fits perfectly, is super light, and appears to be well made. And it covers all the essential parts. 
  • Nice mkegreg! Looks like that'll work just fine!
    I may have to call & see if they can make one for the XL BGE as I don't see one listed on their site.
  • Resurrecting this post. I was trying to decide on buying a Duck Cover or the Elite Cover from The Cover Store for the Large BGE with nest and composite mates. I know they both cost about the same and are both vented. Eventually will build a table so don't want to spend too much on a cover yet want something durable.
    Large bge, Pennington, NJ
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have the duck cover for my large with mates and the BGE cover for my medium with Mates. I like them both. The BGE cover is first rate quality but was not cheap. The duck cover was much less, fits well and doesn't signal people driving by that there is a BGE on my porch. If you, @dukecush‌ ,are building a table at some point, go with the Duck cover.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DaGreekGeek
    DaGreekGeek Posts: 7
    edited February 2016
    Duranhler said:
    Nice mkegreg! Looks like that'll work just fine!
    I may have to call & see if they can make one for the XL BGE as I don't see one listed on their site.
    Did you ever find anything out?  While the duck covers website list large and medium covers the diameter listed is 46 inches for the large and 41 for the medium.  That's nearly twice the diameter of an XL egg.  That said it also says that large and medium eggs are covered and to call for a custom on other sizes not listed.  Then again 46 inches world more than accommodate an XL egg.  

Am I missing something?  

Does anyone else with a large duck cover have any insight? 

I keep reading reviews that state the large cover is a perfect fit, but with a 46 inch diameter and 53 inch height that seems hard to believe (when I think perfect I think fits like a glove)

I'll add that  I called their hotline but didn't get the warm-and-fuzzies (guy seemed puzzled buy my confusion regarding the conflicting description and diameter and just said it SHOULD fit my egg).  While they do free returns I'd rather know for sure.  I may call back and hopefully get someone else that seems to know more about it or its willing to spend more than 30 second answering my question.

As a side note I purchased an authentic BGE vented canvas backed cover on eBay from a seller who had them for about 40-50% off.  Was high quality and great while it lasted but didn't last long before it started to crack at the top of the dome and fail to keep out moisture.  I never put it on when still hot and it was in partial shared.  Only got about 2-3 years before I chucked it.