Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining in Soy Sauce

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485
I've been experimenting with some small, maybe 3/4" thick pork loin cutlets and how to brine them.  The first one I tried, I used enough water to cover the meat, one tablespoon of salt, and then two tablespoons of soy sauce (which has a lot of salt in it already), brined for about 2 hours and then rinsed.  Rinsed, dried, and grilled low/direct.  Good color, juicy, but slightly underseasoned and I couldn't taste the soy at all.
Today, I covered a cutlet fully with soy sauce (I buy it by the half-gallon), with a pinch of sugar to improve the browining.  Same 2 hours, same grilling technique.  This one browned magnificently (a pinch of sugar is really magic), wonderfully juicy again, but overseasoned and the soy taste was a bit too strong.
Next time, I'll either brine it for just an hour, or do a 50/50 cut with water, and sugar, for the 2 hours; that should about do it right.  

Anyone else experiment with soy as the brining agent?  What ratios do you use?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Basically, IMHO, anything with soy and sugar comes out to be teriyaki. Equal parts soy and water, some sugar, garlic, onion, ginger and wooster sauce. Sometimes a touch of vinegar or lemon juice to add some acid. Usually marinate for 1-3 hours. Works for chicken and pork....
    I have the better part of a half gallon of soy, might just make up some marinade....Thanks
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I often soak various cuts of pork or chicken pieces in soy sauce. What I found most effective is to put the meat into plastic bag(s), and add enough soy that the meat is coated, and some portions are in about 1/8" of soy once the bag was sealed. Then, at least 4 hours in the fridge, turning and squishing the meat several times to ensure every part was exposed to the liquid evenly. Max, 8 hours.

The effect depends a lot on the quality of the soy. Lee Kum Kee brand double strength soy in 4 hours makes the meat both too salty, IMO, and to soyish.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Agreed.. with both of you.

I like a teriyaki marinade call "Wiki Wiki Teriyaki" from Soy Vay. I'll spice it up with some minced serrano (I call that 'crack sauce', try it once and you're hooked).  I like most things with crack sauce.. esp. lollipop chicken.

If I want something super rich/salty I use "Dales", that can overpower so use sparingly.  I bet Dales would be good for a rib roast where you need that strength.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    with chicken and pork i sometimes use 2 tbls soy, 1 tbls fish sauce, 1 tsp sugar and marinade in a bag for 2 hours.  serve it with a side of  sweet red chili thai dipping sauce. the sweatness of the sauce goes well with the saltiness of the soy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I don't really brine much - well hardly ever.

I do like the soy flavor - I put the meat in a Ziploc bag with a few tablespoons of soy ( or teraki) and refrig for a couple of hours.  Reasonable taste profile.

Cookin in Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited September 2014
    Options

<Bump>

Tried again today, this time with a 50/50 mix of soy and water, 2 hour soak, and I forgot the sugar.  Seasoning was spot-on, probably the juiciest chop I've ever made.  Soy flavor was again just a bit too prominent.  I have the other chop in the brine now for supper, with sugar, for just an hour, we'll see how that one comes out.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Simple brine, 1/2 c kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2-3 cups water.. I would add some soy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I use Soy for steaks. Marinate for an hour or so. Try it w/ a rib-eye. 

My dad passed this on - not sure where he learned it. 

You won't believe the result! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GulfCoastSmoker
    Options
    I have a brine mixture that I have had a lot of luck with, I have never used with pork just chicken but it should work fine.  The measurements are for a whole chicken.  8 cups water, 1/3 cup sugar, 3/8 cup salt, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup Worcestershire, 1/8 cup soy sauce, 4 garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary.  I put it all in a pot, bring it to a boil for a couple of minutes then let it cool down either by time or by adding ice.  Then I throw the half chicken in a gallon ziploc an let it sit for overnight usually.
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    We really like to use oil, soy sauce, a little Worcestershire, and some Dijon mustard.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE