Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket issue

Options
We just purchased our medium Egg in May.  Granted, it's being used several times a week, but the gasket is starting to deteriorate already.  Asked our dealer about it and he said, "oh, it should last longer than that" but that's all that was said and that we needed to purchase a gasket kit to redo it.  Which we unhappily did.  Thought about it awhile and contacted BGE via email about this issue with no response.  So last week I called and of course it went to voicemail and still no response from BGE.  My question to all of us, how long does a gasket usually last.  Is our time frame normal or should it have lasted longer.  If I could figure out how to post a photo, I would!!  LOL!  THanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Depends on how hot and how long you run it at high temp. You can ruin or incinerate the factory gasket on the first cook. If you are having gasket issues, go ahead and spend 11 dollars for a Rutland gasket. Problem solved. It will still be on your egg when you leave this ole world behind my friend. If you never heed my advice on anything else, heed it now on the Rutland. You will be glad that you did. Trust me on this.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Also depends on what you call deteriorating.  Not to argue with you, but was it just greasy or have gaps burned into it?  They will not stay pristine looking long at all, but as long as it is functioning and you are able to maintain your desired temp, looks should not matter.  Like you were told, the Rutland will last but it will show grime also.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    One year warranty replacement - re-visit your dealer and get your money back. Assuming you are the original owner and bought from an authorized dealer. 

See point 5. The thermo and gasket are good for a year. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bwarner
    Options
    Where do you get a Rutland gasket?
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    You can contact @RRP or buy it at any wood stove store. They come in many different sizes and you need to buy an adhesive to stick it on the egg. Many use it and are quite happy and will share their experience.
     I use a High-Que Nomex (food safe and now three years old on my MBGE) The new Nomex has Kevlar and is predicted to have even longer life. Do some research and decide if the Rutland is for you.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My OEM felt gasket on my large lasted all of 2 months. All cooks at 350 or less. BGE sent me a nomex at no charge. Never installed it. Went to my local hardware store and bought 7' of Rutland from their bulk roll for 79 cents per foot... $5.53.. Then a tube of permatex ultra copper to use as an adhesive. I think the permatex was more than the gasket! That was 5 years and lots of cooks ago, some as high as 900*. A little dirty now, but not bad and still works like new. image
    image.jpg 1016.2K

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have eight eggs in total. The original gasket on my first one lasted a while. Every one since then has lasted only a few cooks. They just aren't right for the application. Like Q says get the Rutland. RRP can help you out with it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pgrnfarm
    Options

350 to 400 is as high as we cook.  Pieces/chunks of the felt are gone and yes, we are the original owners and purchased through an authorized dealer!

I'm curious to this Rutland stuff.  Is it white?  We have an outdoor wood furnace and my husband has some white cording that he uses as a seal around the furnace door, same stuff?

Let me see if I can post some photos..........

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Called Grapho-Glas, google it on Amazon. It is the flat tape you want, not the rope. It is more of a grey colour. It is intended to be used for the same purpose - wood stoves. Your outdoor furnace dealer will have it or something like it for sure. 

If you only cook to 400ºF, you have a free BGE high temp coming from your dealer, why not install it and see how it lasts? you can always change later. Friend has a LBGE he uses for baking. It has the original 5 year old felt base/dome protector on it. The key with the felt/Nomex gaskets is to make sure they do not overhang into the interior of the egg. 
  • Pgrnfarm
    Options
    Okay, here is a photo of the gasket..................any thoughts?
  • Philly35
    Options
    It's fried. Dealer should have replaced for free under warranty. I'd go back to dealer and ask for my money back and they should comply. If they don't, return it and go direct to mothership. Tell your dealer that the reason you spent so dang much on the grill for was because of the warranty that came with it.
    NW IOWA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fried for sure. Warranty gasket from dealer. Or just go ahead and install a Rutland gasket now and be done with it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Pgrnfarm
    Options

Well, I have contacted BGE both with emails and phone calls with NO response to either so seems as though the warranty isn't a big deal to them either!!  Will go back to dealer armed with more information and knowledge......thanks to all who have helped!

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I've had my large egg almost two years and my small 15 months. Both still have the original gasket. I cook on them 2-3 times a week.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Write to Bruce.bohannon@bge.com. Link this thread. It might be @biggreenegg instead of @bge, can't remember. And get a refund from your dealer. Then find a new dealer. Tell the old one why.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut