Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back in the saddle

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
Took a lil time off from egging after my 3 butt cook that I did for a work function.

Got stellar reviews from the 80 peeps I fed. B-) I was surprised I could actually fit 3 butts on the grid. They took 12 hours and the bark was pretty good even though they were touching (I rotated them at 6 hour mark).

Nice and snug (28 lbs raw weight)
photo 2014-09-06 08.34.10 2_zpslku7o2i7.jpg

So here we are today, got up at 6am and put two butts on for some family that's visiting my roommate. I'm also going to have him give his neighbor a PP Care Package. He mows his yard all the time cause he doesn't want his yard to be lower than ours. He's very OCD and cuts his yard every 3 days. He doesn't just cut the strip on the side of the house. The entire left side, edging and blowing. Best neighbor ever!! =D>

More pics to follow after I get up from a quick nap, but we're smoking!! Apple chunks.

photo 2014-09-06 08.08.37 2_zpsxi6twkos.jpg

photo 2014-09-06 08.09.32 1_zpsrdpexxyq.jpg
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nice to see you again @cazzy...

What size egg are those 3 butts on?
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    hapster said:

Nice to see you again @cazzy...

What size egg are those 3 butts on?

That's a mini.

Large egg. :P
  • cazzy
    Options
    I'm rolling like you today hap. Feeling lazy and don't want to grab my gear so I'm going with mobile phone pics today. ;)
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    That B&W photo is very cool.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    That is one stuffed Egg!! +1 on the b&w.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Technically, you are back IN the saddle. :). Like the black and white photo too.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You have a roommate?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options

You have a roommate?

My wife accepted a promotion and is now a big wig...so she and the kids are in Katy and I'm here in SA until I find a job or the house is built. Lots of driving on the weekends, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. House is coming along great. They sheetrocked this week and started laying some of the brick work.

I'm staying with a really good friend.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:

You have a roommate?

My wife accepted a promotion and is now a big wig...so she and the kids are in Katy and I'm here in SA until I find a job or the house is built. Lots of driving on the weekends, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. House is coming along great. They sheetrocked this week and started laying some of the brick work.

I knew she got that job (congrats by the way). Just didn't know you were left behind for now. We've done that- not much fun but you'll get through it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

You have a roommate?

I knew she got that job (congrats by the way). Just didn't know you were left behind for now. We've done that- not much fun but you'll get through it.
    Thanks! It's definitely not ideal, but it's tolerable and we'll get through it. We actually went through this when my son was born. He was born in Houston when she was working there and I was in SA. She moved back to SA right before his 1st birthday.

When we told her parents that we're expecting, their reaction was more worried than happy. My MIL told told the wife later that our current situation is what's causing them concern. She said "mom, when Kyle was born, I was in Katy and Carl was in SA. When Kinleigh was born, I just started a new job. None of our kids have been born into an ideal situation so why should we start now." Her mom acknowledged that and now she's happy and getting excited for another grandbaby.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Everything is chugging along great! :)

photo 2014-09-06 09.59.31 1_zpsfw2xu2ug.jpg
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hell, my latest child was really the only one that everyone was carefree about. My first, my wife and I were still dating, 4 months in, my daughter I was unemployed using the GI Bill. When my youngest was born I had been with my current company for a year and life was good - we definitely appreciated the situation haha! It was honestly the first child my father was happy to find out about hahaha.

My point is perfect situations rarely exist, and you'll get through it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I wanna bite you're juicy butts =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

Hell, my latest child was really the only one that everyone was carefree about. My first my wife and I were still dating, 4 months in, my daughter I was unemployed using the GI Bill. When my youngest was born I had been with my current company for a year and life was good - we definitely appreciated the situation haha! It was honestly the first child my father was happy to find out about hahaha.

My point is perfect situations rarely exist, and you'll get through it.

Makes ya stronger for sure. If we have another...a normal situation might be pretty freaking strange. Lol
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks like a great cook going down.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I remember a similar situation when we moved from NC to MD. My dad stayed behind waiting for his transfer to go through(11 months). He surprised me for my 6th birthday with a framed Batmobile schematic(about halfway through the 11 months). Still the coolest gift I've ever received.
  • cazzy
    Options

I remember a similar situation when we moved from NC to MD. My dad stayed behind waiting for his transfer to go through(11 months). He surprised me for my 6th birthday with a framed Batmobile schematic(about halfway through the 11 months). Still the coolest gift I've ever received.

That sounds like a great gift...definitely memorable. I'm sure you could tell specific details about that day or moment.

That's the funny thing, the best gift I've ever received was the one my mom didn't think she was giving me. She was a single mom struggling to provide for two boys and she could only give me a hand written letter. I cherish every word she wrote in that letter and it means that much more after I had kids of my own.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Nice butt(s).

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    Options
    Yep, I got them! :-\"

http://youtu.be/SYyd0dvNNXU

photo 2014-09-06 11.47.14 1_zpscgkgndmv.jpg
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've got a 5lb strip loin roast thats goin on the egg for a reverse sear later this afternoon.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    The grub is looking absolutely wonderful. I especially like the B/W pic. I'm sure it will be outstanding. Sorry to hear of the living arrangement. Been through almost the same thing myself before and it stinks. Again solid cook.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    Both of the butts are off. 2 hours quicker than my average.

Cole slaw is done.
    photo 2014-09-06 05.02.15 1_zpsidkl5r1q.jpg

Kiolbassa sausage on deck.
    photo 2014-09-06 05.45.54 1_zpsvl21ugjl.jpg
  • SGH
    Options
    Looking good man. Standing by for the finale.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Refreakingdonkulous!!!!!!!

photo 2014-09-06 06.16.50 1_zpsvz8wq8wn.jpg

photo 2014-09-06 06.21.26 1_zpskkt2pqyy.jpg

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yup
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    Excellent looking grub. I could go for 5 or 6 of those sandwiches about now!

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:

Excellent looking grub. I could go for 5 or 6 of those sandwiches about now!

Wow...I just ate one. Now granted, when I cook, I'm in full service mode and ensure my guests are good. I rarely eat that much during service. Now after and leftovers, that's when I do some work!!

That sammich was freaking killer!!
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Glad to see a man that knows what type of meat makes the best Q! :D

Great looking stuff man!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lemonade
    Options
    Alright cazzy, this won't happen often so enjoy it.  I'm a Packer fan, but I do have to compliment you, and it pains me to do so.  First, that B&W shot is absolutely killer.  BGE meets Ansel Adams  (both fav's of mine), then you get a sausage smoking rig?  Dammit man, great stuff.   All in fun of course. Cheers!
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?