Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new years bread bowls and bisque

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,749
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
3ecd831d.jpg
<p />made up a bunch of breadbowls while ice fishing on new years eve day. lobster bisque made a real nice start for the new year with enough to pour on pancakes the next morning.the first pic shows the setup, raised grid, paella pan, raised grid, firebricks and stone. when putting the bread in, poured a cup of water into the hot pan to get a good steam for the beginning of the cook, worked out well
054cb85d.jpg
286fa7ca.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    fishlessman, beautiful!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Your boules look great! Haven't tried the pan of water trick but will give that a try.
    Happy New Year and good luck fishing,
    Clay

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    to all you lurkers out there...
    this is what he cooks when he's ICEFISHING.[p]good lord, man. [p]puttin us to shame.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ClayQ,
    first time making these, dont know how much the water effected the cook, but they had that nice solid thump when hitting the exterior. the pan below the stone probably saw temps near 550 as above i was cooking at 450-475. the water quickly steams at the beginning of the cook when you add it to the hot pan.

fukahwee maine

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Wow! You've got enough hardware inside your egg to start your own tourist attraction. Iv'e got to get more assorted grates to go with all of my various lifters and baffles. Bowls look great.

• fishlessman,[p]That's great! I haven't ventured into baking with my egg yet. Your pictures kind of reminded me of the gumbo ya-ya bowls I used to eat at the Acme Oyster House in dear old N'awlins!

• Snowman
    Snowman Posts: 22
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I've never tried to bake bread in the egg or anywhere else for that matter but that looks awesome. Do you have a recipe and time and temps or is it something that I need to do some research and practice in an oven first. Thanks[p]Jason

• fishlessman
    Options
    Snowman,
    the recipe is in bernard claytons complete book of breads.Paine ordinaire careme. simple recipe with bread flour yeast salt and water. three risings and bake. the book was recommended by Old Dave and is easy to use, separates the bread process by mixer, hand, and food processer. i would highly recomend the book

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,[p]Man, that's good looking bread for your bowls. I have not used that recipe but will do so when I get off this damn diet. [p]Dave