Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-in Ribeye Filet + Spinalis! WQW!

FLbobecu
FLbobecu Posts: 309
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Enjoy fella's.. :)

2" - bone-in, Ribeye Filet + 2" thick Spinalis rib-cap steak.. 

Grilled on the Egg, this time. No cast iron this time. Finished with a sprinkle or two of some Chicago Steak seasoning, and enjoyed. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Now that's my kind of meal right there. Meat and meat cooked on the rare. It doesn't get any better than that. This easily earns the SGH seal of approval my friend. Excellent job!! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FLbobecu
    edited August 2014
    SGH said:
    Now that's my kind of meal right there. Meat and meat cooked on the rare. It doesn't get any better than that. This easily earns the SGH seal of approval my friend. Excellent job!! =D>

Thank you sir. I try.. :)

Have a great weekend! 
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    My hands down favorite meal. Great pics. Looks to be a prime cut ?
  • FLbobecu
    mslaw said:
    My hands down favorite meal. Great pics. Looks to be a prime cut ?

Choice. For $11/lb, couldn't resist the temptation of experimenting, and grilling a bone-in Ribeye Filet. 

This does happen to be Certified Black Angus, though. Supplier hooked us up last week. ;)
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    looks fantastic

LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Beautiful pieces of meat, and you certainly did them right!   :-bd

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Outstanding!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Cook temp and time? This looks like something this girl may try this weekend. Good job buddy!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    @-) =P~ @-)

Well played!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • FLbobecu
    edited August 2014
    evie1370 said:

Cook temp and time? This looks like something this girl may try this weekend. Good job buddy!

Hi, evie!

At this point, I don't remember the temp or time.

I fall in the camp of cooking with high heat. Therefor, I would guess at least 500~550.

If I remember correctly cook time was around 8 minutes. I may be off a little bit. I checked temp after 6 minutes with my Thermapen. Needed a few more minutes, and I was done.

The Rib Cap cooked a little longer, as you want all the fat to render in the Spinalis (medium to medium well). At least 12 minutes for the rib cap.

Probably not much help, I'm sorry. :/
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    That's one helluva sear right there. Bravo, Bravo !

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Brother I have to say that I prefer "spinalis dorsi" on the south side of rare. It is incredible to me this way. Spinalis cervicas as well. I'm a little partial to rare beef. To each his own. But again yours looks par excellent my friend. Hope that you enjoy it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FLbobecu
    SGH said:

Brother I have to say that I prefer "spinalis dorsi" on the south side of rare. It is incredible to me this way. Spinalis cervicas as well. I'm a little partial to rare beef. To each his own. But again yours looks par excellent my friend. Hope that you enjoy it.

I have had the Spinalis raw, once. I do not like the texture of a rare "cap". I attempted to serve this cap rareish, and disliked the texture, and cooked to medium/medium well. The fat rendered completely and tasted phenomenal.

I will be experimenting with the cap much more often now.

I cooked this cap in a rolled pin wheel. Unrolled, and sliced thin.

How do you cook them?
  • SGH
    I cook them flat and very hot and fast to develope a good sear on the outside but leaving the inside rare.

Status- Standing by.

• FLbobecu
    SGH said:
    I cook them flat and very hot and fast to develope a good sear on the outside but leaving the inside rare.
    I will definitely be trying again. Next time, I will cook it flat. Pinwheel idea was something different. Maybe that's why I cooked it to medium/medium-well. I suppose if it were flat, I'd cook it like I normally would, a steak.. 

That'll be for another day. :)

Going to try and pick up some dry-aged Wagyu Spinalis. =P~
  • FLbobecu
    shtgunal3 said:
    That's one helluva sear right there. Bravo, Bravo !
    Thank you sir. :)
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Mamma Mia! Nom nom nom!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SGH
    @hapster nailed it above.^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    SGH said:

@hapster nailed it above.^^^^^^^^^^^

No @SGH‌ @FLbobecu‌ actually nailed this one!
  • SGH
    @hapster‌
    I stand rightfully corrected!!!

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

That looks awesome!  How do you develop so much char on the surface? 

And I didn't know know you could buy the ribeye cap as a cut of meat alone.  It's my favorite part of the ribeye.  Mind blown...

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Very, very impressive
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Ok, something weird is happening in a deep dark place inside me.

That is a walk-off Grand Slam!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @FLbobecu‌ Glad to see ya back brother. Hope you are feeling and doing better. Gorgeous cook Sir! =D> "Steak Man" B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL