Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another "what are must have accessories?" thread...

Options
My fiance and I just got a large BGE, and a couple of people have mentioned getting us some accessories for a wedding gift.

At the moment we have nothing but the Egg itself.  After looking through some old threads on the same subject, I see the Adjustable Rig Combo and a thermometer mentioned most often.

Are those still pretty much the two must haves?  Any specific suggestions on the thermometer?  What's the most popular version of the CGS kit?

Thanks!

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Lump and meat
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome. First accessory should definetly be a thermometer. I have a ThermoPop but most will recommend the Thermapen. Here's their website. They sell both.

http://thermoworks.com/
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I waited over 2 years to get an AR and wish I pulled the trigger sooner.  Thermopen is a must.  Maverick temp probe is great for overnights.  Different flavored wood chunks/chips.  Different rubs/sauces.  Gloves for removing hot accessories (I like my Ove Gloves).  Various varieties of adult beverages.  A good pizza stone.  Any number of CI products (Dutch oven, Pizza pan, Skillets).  Pizza pans (Blue steel, stoneware, CI).  A pizza peel.  Some meat from Snake River Farms.  Lump.  You will eventually spend more on accessories than you did on the Egg.  Take advantage of the wedding gifts. 
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I would pound three aluminum canned beers-save the cans and buy a cheap second (weber)? grid so you can run raised direct.  Then the thermo as mentioned above.  As with any cooking rig, the key to success is cooking to temperature not time-and that wasn't invented here.  
    If you are good then forget the second grid and balance the cans (or some fire bricks) on the fire ring and go from there.
    Regardless-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    And whatever road you choose-cook with the BGE and figure out what you could want/use before spending the big $$ on all  the after-market toys.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    In addition to a food thermometer, I would have to say you need some means of cooking indirect. I use a plate setter. Hopefully someone can give you some advice on what type of indirect accessory will meat your needs. I've never really looked at the differences for indirect accessories because I just bought the PS. Might be of interest to you to look at different options.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Pit temperature controller. I got a BBQ Guru DIgiQ DX2 - works just as advertised. It's worth every penny. http://www.thebbqguru.com
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Half a cow would be my #1 pick as wedding gift.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This is only my opinion so please take it as such and nothing more. If you are serious about producing a top tier final product over and over again, and being able to replicate the results at will, then a quality thermometer is not a accessory. It's a must. To truly use the egg to its potential you need a way to set up for raised direct as well as indirect. There are numerous cuts that benefit greatly from these 2 set ups. There are many ways to achieve these set ups. The AR seems to be favored by most folks. I both own and use the AR. I also own the plate setter and a Woo. The Woo and plate setter is what I use 95% of the time when cooking indirect. Why? It's simple to use and I get good results. Just my personal preference. Again I can't emphasize enough the value of a good quality thermometer such as the Thermopen. It should be your next purchase without question or doubt my friend. Also let me take the opportunity to say welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing your cooks as well as receiving your advice on cooking matters.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I bought the R&B AR combo and would do it again! It comes with an oval stone that is almost the length of a rack of ribs. I can also do two spatchcocked chickens or a large brisket without anything hanging over the edges of the stone.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    A second egg :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
    Thermapen, Woo, Spider, Looftlighter & Smokeware vent.
    Jax, FL
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned a plate setter. That's my number one must have. Well that and my thermapen.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Grillin_beers‌ everyone is telling him a ar rack and with that he would not need a platesetter. I agree with the thermoplastic but without knowing what they like to cook i would not know what else.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    edited August 2014
    Options
    How long until the big day?
    I'd cook some to figure out what you'll cook in the future and how you'll cook it.
    For me, the plate setter is the only true accessory I needed. Everything else is bolts and grates.

LBGE

BTFU!

• badinfluence
    Options
    I agree. Platesetter is all they had when I first started with a bge everything else is gravy but still recommend a thermopen

Clinton, Iowa
  • BKRonline
    Options
    My thoughts...

For a stand alone EGG
    If you want to do low and slow
    If you want perfect sear marks on steaks, etc.
    If you want to make bread, pizza, calzones, etc... (baking)
    I hope this helps.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE, Plate Setter, Pizza Stone, Cast Iron Grid, BBQ Guru DX2, CyberQ WiFi, ThermoWorks Thermapen / Infrared Thermometer.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @badinfluence You are definitely right. It's been one of those days where I'm just not thinking too sharp.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Lump and meat
    Um?!, I think you forgot to mention the BEER. :)>-
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Plate Setter. Rib rack, can be used for Turkeys/Chickens also. Love mine. Also I must have my plate setter. Gloves and mitts as stated, especially when you have to remove the grid or the plate setter to do direct cooking on your next item. Oh and the alcohol...must have that! My BGE will not work with an adult beverage poured!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
  • HolySmoke
    Options
    the pigtail flipper is actually super useful - and relatively cheap!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    wdfwguy, you're taking on two very expensive endeavors at the same time...   :-O

:D
    Seriously, congrats and I'd love to see pics of the bride opening up gifts of lump!  
    =))

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thermometer - remote wireless like iGrill is excellent. I tend to stay away from the Chinese imports like Taylor or Maverick (got tired of probes failing). A Thermapen is useful, IMHO not as useful as the iGrill. You can save the Thermapen and the infrared until later. A cheap bimetal meat thermometer will get you by until you have a need for a $100 instant-read.

Platesetter - mandatory IMHO. Some method of indirect cooking, PS is the simplest. Save the AR for some other day. If you want to cook raised direct someday, then someday get a Woo II. Pizza stone too, if you like pizza.

Grill gripper. Obvious reasons.

Rolling Nest or table. If nest only, you're going to want some kind of table nearby or those BGE wing things.

Ash tool. And a metal can (e.g. 10 gallon galvanized trash can) for dumping the ash.

Good spatula. There are a lot of crappy ones out there. I like the long thin ones. If you get a 14-16 inch version, you can get by without a pizza peel. Locking tongs = good idea.

Nomex gloves. Important to have IMHO.

This stuff is fairly basic. It will definitely get you started doing the simple stuff, burgers, tenderloins, butts, until you learn the ropes. Then you can start getting fancy with less tendency to waste your money.

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Platesetter for sure!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Mapp torch for lighting ur fire.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Buy it all! Now!! Don't think, just do it. It's much more fun that way... Don't forget the lump, meat and beer...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • ljmcpherson2005
    Options
    A thermopen is a must, it is amazing and my wife uses it for kitchen cooking too. I think if you want to slow cook meat then an adjustable rig is the top step and works best for cooking a lot of food at once. But if you don't want to spend that much money get the place setter and your good to go for indirect. Also I like to use a ordinary paint heat gun to light my coals quickly, you can go to any home improvement store to get one for 15 to 20 bucks. A small dry/wet vac to clean your ash is good to have too. Neither of those are a must though, just helpful.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you live in a climate with winter, I would definitely get a cover.
  • BKRonline
    Options
    EGG in snow.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE, Plate Setter, Pizza Stone, Cast Iron Grid, BBQ Guru DX2, CyberQ WiFi, ThermoWorks Thermapen / Infrared Thermometer.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited August 2014
    Options

I am also a Newbie......within the last 4 weeks

I bought a large with a nest, egg handler (I won't leave mine outside) , ash tool,I did buy the plate setter and a pizza stone, pizza peel, grill lifter, CAST IRON Grate, and some decent high temp welding gloves to remove the P.S. when I need to.

3 days later .. after my first cook..(pork tenderloin) I bought a Mini for camping..(got a deal at $250 w/stand)...and a BGE hat

I got some 9.25 lodge griddles and wooden plates..gonna get these 450-500 deg and sear on the Mini.....then finish on the BGE Large at 325...

Then I had to get the BGE string lights, corn holder, 3pc tool set with rosewood hands (got it for $20 new), and the table cloth weights

You are going to want the stuff so you can use the egg. I did pizza....one of the best I have ever had...

After doing some boneless skinless chicken...(a bit dry) I listened to everyone and bought a Thermapen...(FWIW..don't waste your money on anything else BUY THE THERMAPEN)...you won't be sorry. I just got a backlit..works great

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI