Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal?

Options
I am about to run out of my 100% Natural Big Green Egg charcoal.  I wanted to get some replacements - what do people suggest and where can I get this locally?  (Cleveland,OH)

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    Options
    Here's a fact...BGE lump is made for them by Royal Oak. Royal Oak is readily available in many locations including Wally World and Menard's. Also Gordon Food Service aka GFS carries their private label lump which is also made by Royal Oak. There is a GFS store in Cleveland-West at 1363 W 117th St.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    How much is the stuff at GFS? Walmart only has 8 lb bags, I need bigger bags!
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Check Lowes for Cowboy, usually they have specials for Labor Day and if you are a vet they give an eggstra 10%.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Are you close to Cleveland Charcoal? The Whiz's site had a listing, think the rating was average - which is what you are used to if you used BGE. 
    If you want some premium brands, try Rockwood, Ozark Oak, Wicked Good or even FOGO from Amazon. There is no right answer, just what works for you. 

(no personal experience with Rockwood or OO - just the words of others here)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    Options
    How much is the stuff at GFS? Walmart only has 8 lb bags, I need bigger bags!
    I haven't bought any there lately, but it used to $12 for 20# which was a good price. You might call to make sure they have it in stock, but our GFS carries it year around and if out the manager told me he can get whatever I need in a matter of days from their distribution center.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    The last time I bought from GFS it was 11.99 for 20 pound bag when you buy 5 or more plus if you sign up for there email list you get 10% coupon. It's what I have been using for the last year and it cooks great.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I like Royal Oak. But I am going to try rockwood soon.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm in Aurora and I found RO at Home depot and Walmart. haven't found any Ozark yet.
    Aurora,OH
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I switched to Rockwood a few months back.  If there is not a store around you that carries it, you can order five bags at $19.99/bag and get free shipping from firecraft.com.  I really like it.  I know a lot of people on here like Ozark Oak and Royal Oak as well.  Like it was mentioned above, this is really a personal preference and what you like to use.  There really isn't a wrong answer except for briquettes.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    jmcnutt5 said:

I switched to Rockwood a few months back.  If there is not a store around you that carries it, you can order five bags at $19.99/bag and get free shipping from firecraft.com.  I really like it.  I know a lot of people on here like Ozark Oak and Royal Oak as well.  Like it was mentioned above, this is really a personal preference and what you like to use.  There really isn't a wrong answer except for briquettes.

I just found out about firecraft the other day and ordered 50 pounds each of Rockwood and OO. I'm excited to try them out. I've been using Kamodo Joe for my low and slow cooks lately.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    found royal oak at home depot for $12.97
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    ordered FOGO from amazon - we will see how the flavor goes!