Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For everyone who said it couldn't be done....

I hear all the time that it's impossible to burn something on the egg..... Well I have a top for anyone who wants to attempt it. After flipping two pork tenderloins don't reset the daisy wheel and walk away and get caught up with something else. I came back to an egg at 650 and two charred tenderloins. Consider this a how to guide in complete incompetence.
1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Not incompetence just a lot of stuff going on. I did it once and ever since then I make sure to make sure the screw on the daisy wheel
    Is at the top and to check the wheel after putting the lid down. Feel like I have OCD after putting my lid down. Lol
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hmmm...@Mickey has never burned anything...

Or has he? =))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Lol I feel you man. I normally have pretty good attention to detail. About to slice and see if it's edible. Otherwise I'll run down to Fresh Market and buy a couple of steaks.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    For real
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grillin_beers
    I have to say I feel better now. SWMBO has been giving me a hard time about it since I bragged about how my egg and I are like one being at a dinner party last night. Karma is a ****.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I knew that famous pic was coming. He makes lots of people feel better with that one.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • you're supposed to put the lump INSIDE the firebox, not on the grill.

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    I have heard of that happening, but it has never happend to me! :)) :))
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I like my Smokeware chimney cap for just that reason.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Mickey said:
    For real image
    Where'd you get chicken flavor lump charcoal?
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Name: Grillin_Beers
    I wonder if alcohol was involved?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

Mickey said:
    For realimage
    you just warming up the next load of lump??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Grillin_beers
    td66snrf said:

Name: Grillin_Beers
    I wonder if alcohol was involved?

It was after 5 so yeah. But not enough to make a difference.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Twenty years ago, you'd just call them "Cajun-blackened Tenderloins", charge triple per serving, and Life Was Good.   :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Right after I got the Egg I was all fired up to do wings, invited 3 couples over, got into the whiskey and proceeded to burn the ever loving crap out of 6 dozen wings. Happens
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    edited November 2014
    Turn the cap "backwards" @grillin_beers.  Instead of having the BGE lettering facing towards you turn the cap so the BGE lettering is facing away from you and that damn wheel won't flop around when you open the hood.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I have reduced several things to mere ashes on the egg. It usually involves me getting side tracked with the grand kids or playing on my tractor. But I assure you that it can happen.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Mickey said:
    For real image

Anyone ever try Mickeys lump????

A hint of poultry smoke.....

:-O

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    Grillin_beers   Wish I had taken pics.  I may have you beat.  Shortly after getting my egg, I got in late here on the farm, about 10 one night.  Fired up the egg and put me on a huge (maybe 3/4 lb.) burger, a small can of Bush's baked beans and a ear of sweet corn in foil.  Got me a beer, put on my ipod and ear buds, and sat down by the egg to wait the few minutes it would take to cook.  3 hours later I woke up.  It was a sad looking affair on the egg.  Burger was reduced to a heap of charcoal that shattered when I hit it with the flipper.  The beans were now a half a can of what looked like dried blackened peas. Checked the foiled corn and I guess every gram of moisture in it was gone. Couldn't tell there was anything in the foil.  And the lump was almost entirely gone.  S&*t, and I was hungry.  Had to add more lump at 1:30 in the morning, found 4 hot dogs in the fridge, and finally had something to eat a little before 2.  Had the same thing happen once more with pork chops, but luckily my wife was home that time and saw me nodding off.  It's hell to get old. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Mickey said:
    For real image
    Chernobyl Chicken, Nice!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Anyone who suggests it's impossible to burn something on the Egg just hasn't had it very long.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I have murdered a few pizzas on my XL.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    A lot of us have had an "oh sh*t" moment with the egg when we realize that the egg is not at 200* but rather we have wrapped the needle around.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.