Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE and doing first Boston Butt

GaDadx3
GaDadx3 Posts: 41
I got my BGE for Father's Day and have been hooked ever since. I've done pork tenderloin, chicken, flank steak, pizza, a whole turkey, and even chocolate chip cookies and peach cobbler. I love this thing. Tonight, I am doing my first boston butt and doing it overnight. Having a little trouble getting temp to 225. Right now it is hovering just above 250. Most of the posts I have see recommend 225. Any concerns about 250-275?
LBGE, Suwanee, Ga

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I wouldn't have any. I'm not an expert but from what I've read here and in other places a butt is a pretty forgiving piece of meat. Important thing is to monitor the internal temp.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If it wants to settle at 250 - 275 let it go. Every Egg has a sweet spot. If you can stabilize at 250 or so it's better than chasing temp all night trying to get to 225. If you get done early FTC it (wrap in heavy duty foil, some towels and place in a cooler to keep it hot. It will keep for hours.
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    250* is much easier to lock in without worrying about loosing the fire than 225*. Get the temp stable for an hour or so and you'll be fine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    And welcome aboard. Looking forward to pics of the result.
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    I'm cooking a butt as well at the moment. My dome temp is reading 250 but the grate temp is at 228 and holding steady.

IMHO 250 is the perfect dome temp for slow and low on the egg. Whenever I've tried for a 225 dome temp I've found that the fire can die out. At 250 she'll coast until the lump runs out.
  • GaDadx3
    Awesome. Thank you all so much for the feedback and reassurance. @XC242‌ I've heard butt is pretty forgiving as well. I'll post an update tomorrow and you all know how it went. If all else fails, they were on sale and I bought 2 and I'll just have to try again.
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • GaDadx3
    @DMW‌ @ChillyWillis‌. I just checked the temp and was just below 200. I'm afraid I closed it too much. Am now reopening and going to shoot for the 250-275 and not worry about it. I was afraid I would put it out and almost did.
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • For low and slows I like to get a small stable fire set, close the bottom vent to just over the with of a credit card, and use the daisy wheel to regulate temp. I find the daisy wheel is much better at slight adjustments at a low temp.
  • GaDadx3
    Thanks for the tip. This is my first low and slow and I am trying to work both. Will try that. Trying to get the temp stable so I can go to bed.
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @GaDadx3‌
    If you are using a large BGE and have a well established fire the vent settings you see below should lock you in between 240-265 degrees depending on the thermal mass of the butt. Any where in that range and I would let it ride and get some sleep. imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GaDadx3
    Excellent. That is about how I am set right now. Thanks so much for all the helpful advice.
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2014
    Glad to help my friend. Just remember that both the fire that you established In the beginning and the thermal mass of the meat will ultimately affect the vent settings. But nonetheless they should be real close after a while when the egg has had time to finally settle and stabilize. Good luck my friend .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Welcome to the fun \:D/ Sounds like you've been busy since Father's Day. Can't wait to see pics of your current cook. Remember no pics = didn't happen.

I was just looking at your avatar and noticed the BGE at the edge of the concrete or pad. If that pics of your egg, I'd think about moving it away from the edge. Pic might be making it look worse, but I'd hate to see a new egg tip.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    edited August 2014
    @SGH‌ , what is going on with that DFMT? Mine is just the opposite. If you touch it, you'll have blackness all over you. It's seasoned better than a 90 year old cast iron skillet that's been used everyday. I put mine in the egg when I'm done cooking to prevent rust. Yours looks as though it's never seen smoke. How can that be? :-?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GaDadx3
    @stemc33‌ I will definitely be posting a pic when it is done. Currently holding steady at 250 and internal meat temp 180. Almost there.

The BGE is not quite as close as it looks, agree, need to move. We are in process of having a screened in porch added so it will have a nice safe permanent home. :-)
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • GaDadx3
    Ok. The cook is done and it looks awesome and smells so good. I am having to fight off three boys who are ready to dig in. Right now it is wrapped in aluminum foil and a towel in a cooler. Now I have put on the potatoes to bake. Going to make "killer potatoes" for tonight which is one of my wife's favorites. More pics to come of my first boston butt and killer potatoes. Thanks for all the tips and encouragement! :)
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • GaDadx3
    @SGH‌ @stemc33‌ Here is the finished product. "Killer Potatoes".
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    welcome looks like a good spread you got there 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • I'll be going @225F tonight, but I'm relying on my guru to carry through this one so I guess I'm no help...
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    I totally agree with you loving the Egg.... Enjoy Nd I know you'll do great on the Butt.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    @GaDadx3 looks awesome. When should I come over? :))
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Great looking meal & congrats on going controller free!!! IMHO - too many people jump on the controller band wagon before they learn how to control the egg

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stemc33
    Excellent. =D> What kind of rub did you use?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GaDadx3
    @Mattman3969‌
    Thanks! I agree. Most of the fun for me is working the temp. This cook was my lowest temp setting so had learn. I've got 350-400 down, the 225 was a little tricky, but I'm ready for the next one.
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • GaDadx3
    @stemc33‌
    Thanks! My wife and I went to Fox Brothers Barbecue here in Atlanta this past week and I liked the rub they used on the ribs, so I got some. It was pretty good. I probably could have put it on a little more liberally.
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    stemc33 said:
    @SGH‌ , what is going on with that DFMT? Mine is just the opposite. If you touch it, you'll have blackness all over you. It's seasoned better than a 90 year old cast iron skillet that's been used everyday. I put mine in the egg when I'm done cooking to prevent rust. Yours looks as though it's never seen smoke. How can that be? :-?
    My daisy wheel looks a lot like that also...  I put it in the egg after a pizza cook and it looked like that (minus the rust) when I got it out for the next cook.
    Rowlett, Texas
  • Smoking in mile high Colorado, I think the settings are going to be a bit different.  I've had to open my vents considerably wider to get the air into my egg.  I'd say my bottom vent is open the width of a quarter, or more for my 250's.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    My egg likes to hover around 250 and will stay there all night. I definitely have trouble on overnights lower than that. That being said 250 for pork butt is better than good.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Great looking cook BTW
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    It looks like you did a great job, but I can tell you I have always had trouble holding 225, the couple times I did start it at 225 once the fire went out and the other times it was at 190 when I got up the next morning. I do everything at 250 minimum and it works out great. 

Johns Creek, Georgia