Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ever COOK while DRIVING with your egg on a TRAILER?

Just curious...  I see a lot of nice portage pictures on the forum and it occurred to me (as I finish up an overnight cook) that it would be nice to get everything going on a trailer when you have a long drive ahead of you.   Pull in to your vacation spot, and you'd have a fresh meal good to go!

I'm sure the bouncing around of the lump would make temperature stabilization a chore.  And you'd probably have to lock down that top CI rotary dial.

Still, it got me thinking.
And if I thought it...someone here has already done it!  

Well, my pork just hit 201, gotta run....

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Just remember it ia illegal in most states also.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    With the experience I have had with changing winds on my back deck, I cannot imagine trying to do it while moving.  Temps would be all over the place or nuclear no matter what you did for adjustments.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Just remember it ia illegal in most states also.
    WHAT!!!!????

Man, they ruin all the fun.   :@)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    I know I've seen people driving with those pig roasters (55 gallon drum grills) all lit up.   Not often, but...

...okay, maybe it was just here.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    I once left a competition with three large eggs in a open trailer that I had shut down more than two hours before leaving.  When I arrived at home all three were at about 350 with the bottom vents closed and the daisy closed also.  So I can testify that temp control would be quite a challenge.
  • KiterTodd
    edited August 2014
    I once left a competition with three large eggs in a open trailer that I had shut down more than two hours before leaving.  When I arrived at home all three were at about 350 with the bottom vents closed and the daisy closed also.  So I can testify that temp control would be quite a challenge.
    Okay, this helps...so, what have we learned.

1. Don't have to worry about temp control.  Close all the vents.  Air will get in.
    2. Consider a higher temp cook or a texas crutch.
    3. May be illegal.  Need to practice this line, "Officer, I had NO IDEA those grills were still lit?!!  I just left a competition and had closed everything down until I got home.  Looks like I forgot about those briskets and pork shoulders also...  Do you like ribs?"
    LBGE/Maryland
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited August 2014
    It may not be too bad with temp control. If your bottom vent is a little tight and won't move around easily that'd be fine, but the top you could maybe use foil with some holes poked in the top instead of the daisy wheel that'd move around. Maybe fasten the foil with twisted wire or a big hose clamp. I say it's worth trying on a pork butt since going 350 ain't gonna hurt it any. Heck you can use your maverick while you drive and if it spikes, pull over and fix it. Or you could just wrap some meat a few times in heavy duty foil and just put on the engine. I did that with some frozen homemade stromboli on a road trip once and it heated it perfectly.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

So, having me read this is telling a small child "Don't put beans in your nose."

I'm guessing that I am not alone.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• KiterTodd
    yzzi said:
    .... Or you could just wrap some meat a few times in heavy duty foil and just put on the engine. I did that with some frozen homemade stromboli on a road trip once and it heated it perfectly.
    Well done!  Did you happen to catch the Myth Busters episode with Alton Brown where they cooked an entire thanksgiving meal in the car?   I couldn't find a link to the show online.  It was their "Food Fables" episode.  A good watch for sure.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    KiterTodd said:

yzzi said:

.... Or you could just wrap some meat a few times in heavy duty foil and just put on the engine. I did that with some frozen homemade stromboli on a road trip once and it heated it perfectly.

Well done!  Did you happen to catch the Myth Busters episode with Alton Brown where they cooked an entire thanksgiving meal in the car?   I couldn't find a link to the show online.  It was their "Food Fables" episode.  A good watch for sure.

No, haven't watched it but it sounds like a great episode. I did that stromboli heat up 12 years ago now.
    Dunedin, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If I egg I drink. If I drink I can't drive. So, the answer is no.

I have heard of people wrapping roast in hdaf and cooking it in their engine while traveling.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Was in Douglasville, GA today and a guy pulled into a parking lot behind us with a smoking offset unit on a trailer. The cop with his flashing blue lights that was following him did not seem to happy with a mobile fire cruising down the road!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• KiterTodd
    Maybe Dunkin Donuts was closed.  ?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Those folks in D-ville are an odd bunch, for sure!!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Can't say too much, SWMBO is from there!!!!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    This is the setup to a "you might be a redneck" joke, right?
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    I drove home to Texas from Florida today. While driving through LA I saw a guy pulling a tralor that was basically a pit on wheels. The pit was still smoking and one of the tires had come off the wheel. He was doing 70 mph. :))
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • I drove home to Texas from Florida today. While driving through LA I saw a guy pulling a tralor that was basically a pit on wheels. The pit was still smoking and one of the tires had come off the wheel. He was doing 70 mph. :))

Hell, half the people I know in Louisiana have outdoor kitchens, several vehicles on cinder blocks, and you've gotta use a boat to get to the house!