Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block cooking

Options
I just got the word that my folks were given a Himalayan salt block and they are regifting it to me. :-bd

Does anyone have any experience cooking on one of these? I'm wondering if it will work well on the egg. I've read that the block needs to be brought slowly up to temp and I'm slightly concerned about the extra radiant heat from the dome causing the block to crack.

Also, if anyone knows any good recipes for this lay em in me!

Here is a picture of the block in action:

Comments

• morrobayrich
    Options
    On the other forum there are a lot of entries dealing with the experience of cooking on these blocks.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Wish I could help brother Chilly, but have never done it myself. Waiting to see what you come up with though. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I hear scallops are really nice on it.
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    Any idea what brand it is? A company called Salt Rox now makes these for the Egg and is safe at temperatures up to 700. Most of the other brands recommend not cooking over 400 due to the risk of explosion. I have cooked on the Salt Rox and the results were great especially on the flank steak and fruits.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've seen them for sale at several BGE distributors. My understanding is to heat up with the egg components similar to that of a PS and let it cool naturally. There is no issue in heating it over 500℉ so long as it is done slowly and on the egg I wouldn't get anything less than a 2" thickness block.

Here's a decent reference.
    https://www.atthemeadow.com/resources-and-guides/how-to-cook-steak-on-a-himalayan-salt-block-with-pictures.html?sef_rewrite=1
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Just make sure you have it indirect so you don't have to worry about the coals overheating the base.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I've been doing some research on this bad boy all night. Apparently there is no brand name on the block (it was given to my folks by a restaurant group that loves our family).

This was the unboxing (from afar)..... I can't wait to get my hands on it.

• SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I'm anxious to see what you come up with. I like different and unique methods of cooking. Standing by my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ that sounds like a genius idea. Scallops are one of the kings of the sea IMHO and cooking at high heat on salt is a brilliant idea.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Can't help with a recipe. Saw a demo cook at Sur La Table using a gasser, the stone was cracked and the holder kept it together. I think that is the way it is supposed to work. They served prawns, interesting to say the least. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Thank you brother @SGH‌. I'm excited to get my hands on it as well and see what I can do with it.

I've got to go down to the shore to pick it up, so I'm thinking I'll try some simple seafood cooks on it at first. Not only will the food be as fresh as can be, but I'll be able to taste the flavor profile the salt block brings to the seafood on a simple seafood grill.

My crazy idea in my head (five steps down the line at this point) is using a hot salt block to finish lobster pieces in place of a skillet..... I've got a fantastic lobster recipe I know and love and I'm hoping I can enhance the recipe in my head with this cooking method.....

We shall see

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There isn't much difference between an oven and an egg in "oven-mode" (platesetter, shield of some sort, indirect).  Treat it the same.  Salt is salt.  Most of these are mined (cut) from the earth.  They are natural and can have fault lines, some will split, others won't, but if they do, it's inevitable so don't worry about it.  If they do split, you can "glue" them together with some saturated brine and a little luck and use them for refrigerated serving.

@eggcelsior - the scallop suggestion is eggcellentsior.
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Just curious. Can you reuse the block over and over? Does it burn up? Is it impervious to soot and grease? This is both new and fascinating to me.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    It lasts for many cooks.  They eventually crack but there are probably a few recorded incidents of the stone just wearing down to nothing.  A little salt is lost whenever they are used.  They don't burn and any funk that sticks to them will wash off, or you can resurface them. 

A fun thing to do is heat them up to 700F or so, then put them in a bowl of marbles or stones and serve raw waygu slices with some 5-spice, salt and pepper.  You pick up a slice, season, cook it like fondue on the hot stone, preferably rare, and eat.  Then repeat. 

They work for hot, ambient and cool serving platforms.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    What is the purpose of the marbles mentioned above?^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ thank you for your help with the temp problem I've been puzzling over. I'm thinking now that I'll try to keep the temp under 400 for the first few cooks. Luckily this block is a freebee (thanks ma!!!! Love ya!!!! )

I'm stoked to get my hands on this now. I plan on documenting everything I do once I get this so he sure to check back in to see how it works on the egg
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    @nolaegghead‌ What is the purpose of the marbles mentioned above?^^^^^^^^^^
    You're putting freaking hot slabs in a serving area....the marbles or stones (marbles are better insulators) keep the stone from transferring heat to the tray, plate or whatever you have on your table, and they look nice.  

700-1000F slab of salt will burn a table or anything organic it's on.  And it will crack a serving platter, unless you have it on a bed of stones.  Asbestos works too, but not very appetizing.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    That makes perfect sense. My first thought was that the marbles may be used for a visual effect to compliment the salt block. I missed that one by a mile!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I learned that trick at a Japanese restaurant - they served raw waygu slices with a giant lava stone on marbles in a giant bowl.  On the side was the 5 spice, salt and pepper.  Delicious, and the process reminded me of fondu.
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I'm starting to get a good idea for a first cook on this salt block. Thank you to @SGH‌ and @nolaegghead‌ for your input. I'll be sure to show you how all of this wisdom that been dropped tonight works its way into the world.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    @nolaegghead >>> Great idea with the marbles and stones.  I have not brought mine inside yet but, I might now.

One of my favorite things to cook on the salt block is calf liver and onions.  The smell of the onions compliment anything you cook on the block.  Don't overcook the liver though.  Pink is awesome.

It seems to me that the "wetter" the item is, the more salt and minerals it picks up so, don't get frustrated with too salty or not salty enough...just keep trying.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Just received this in an e-mail from Sur la Table - thought you might be interested..

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌ that looks tasty, I'll be sure to try it out. Thanks for passing along the recipe.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @chillywillis I've got a block from sur la table and the metal frame. The frame makes transfers a lot easier. Seafood is good - scallops have been best. Yes, the wetter the food, and longer the cook, the more salt will go to your food. A hotter / quicker cook, with a bit of oil on the food, will decrease the amount of salt.

I've used it once on the egg, for salmon. I warmed it on the gasser but I think it would have been just fine on the egg, indirect. Just make sure you give it a good 20-30 minutes to get to temperature. One of those IR surface temp thermometers would be neat to check the temp with.

Another use - I've used it as a weight on top of a spatchcocked chicken. Added some nice seasoning and helped really crisp the skin on the grill side. Pre egg - will have to try on the egg next.

When you're done just let it cool off and give it a quick rinse with water and most of the gunk should rinse off.

Can't wait to see how you use it!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • MeridianSun
    Options
    I've got one from salt rox. Best advice I can give is to let it get up to temp and add oil then cook. I wouldn't cook at less than 500 degrees or your food will be salty. Porkchops are perfect on the block. Juiciest I've had. Then just flip it and use the other side next time for uniform wear. I also don't use my plate setter.
    Large Big Green Egg, Griffin Georgia 
  • SGH
    Options
    Still waiting patiently brother Chilly.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I'm hoping that you do those lobsters that you spoke off. I'm dying to see how they turn out.

Status- Standing by.