Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cazzy got bit by the bug...MONSTER CHOPS!!!!

Options

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    MeTed said:

How long do you brine pork? I brine poultry all the time but have never tried a pork brine.

With this thickness, I guessed 1.5-2 hours and Cen confirmed the guess with 2 hours. I usually buy the chops from Costco and they are nowhere near this thickness. I do those for 45 minutes.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cajuncook
    Options
    There's a pig farmer here in hartwell that will cut chops to order. I have ordered some 1 1/2" chops from his next pig. Can't wait.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    As usual. ...all pics and no cook. Are you gonna egg or adjust lighting? Geez.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    Options
    cajuncook said:

There's a pig farmer here in hartwell that will cut chops to order. I have ordered some 1 1/2" chops from his next pig. Can't wait.

Do it!!!!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Damn son! That's kicking ass Travis.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    It looks like there are two bones in each chop? Yes or no.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Got to check central market
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    MeTed said:

I can't figure out which cut it is but there is only one bone. Looks like a pork t-bone.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options

Here's my try.

Looks like you killed it Travis!!! I better bring my A-game tomorrow so I can at least post the best pork in my thread. :P

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    cazzy said:
    So you tease us and now we gotta wait til tomorrow?
    That wasn't my intention at all, but it just worked out better for my schedule the more I thought about it. So yeah, a definite tease!! :D

I should of just scrolled to the bottom of the thread when I opened it. When I seen the pics at the beginning of the thread, I thought Wow! I gotta see this. I'm not gonna lie, I really got into reading this thread and then, NOTHING!!! Ugh 8-}
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    cazzy said:
    So you tease us and now we gotta wait til tomorrow?
    That wasn't my intention at all, but it just worked out better for my schedule the more I thought about it. So yeah, a definite tease!! :D

I should of just scrolled to the bottom of the thread when I opened it. When I seen the pics at the beginning of the thread, I thought Wow! I gotta see this. I'm not gonna lie, I really got into reading this thread and then, NOTHING!!! Ugh 8-}
    Lol Stem...my bad. I'll make up for it tomorrow. Got the menu set!   ;)

Monster chop served with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans in a bacon & almond mushroom creme sauce.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's straight up sexy! B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    @travisstrick‌ dayum. That looks awesome. I have a bottle of that bacon jam in the pantry, might need to try it out.

@cazzy‌ can't wait to see what you do with those
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    I have my timer set for when church comes out... I Might just throw your final chop pics up on the big screen..Hey no pressure from this side....Those are some killer chops you got there Enjoy..
    @-)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I can't figure out which cut it is but there is only one bone. Looks like a pork t-bone.

I picked a bottle up a couple of weeks ago and now have a reason to open it. Was thinking burgers, but yours looks so much better. Any thoughts of hitting a thin coating the last 5/10 mins?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Mickey said:

I picked a bottle up a couple of weeks ago and now have a reason to open it. Was thinking burgers, but yours looks so much better. Any thoughts of hitting a thin coating the last 5/10 mins?

I cook that cut often and if I dont do the bacon jam, I put a thin coat of blues hog. A two pack of those chops are around $7 at HEB and are better than most steak. As much as I enjoy hijaking Cazzy's thread, i think I will make my own. I was too busy with guests last night.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Travis, looking good
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options

Mickey said:

MeTed said:

I cook that cut often and if I dont do the bacon jam, I put a thin coat of blues hog. A two pack of those chops are around $7 at HEB and are better than most steak.

As much as I enjoy hijaking Cazzy's thread, i think I will make my own. I was too busy with guests last night.

Hijack away. :ar!
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    The can @cazzy should have used...

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Holy crap. Those are the biggest pork chops I've ever seen. Make me ashamed to post my pork chop cook tonight. I bet those will be awesome.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Gonna be a lot of pork chops to look at tonight. Sounds like we are all doing chops. I can't wait to see cazzy's, especially with his photo skills.

Little Rock, AR

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    My photo skills border on barely amateur. Maybe SWMBO can lend a hand. Those things are not chops, they are roasts!
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • cazzy
    Options
    It's going down fellas!! Sides are done...focusing on the chops now.

Crappy teaser mobile phone pic!!
    photo 20140803_134412_zpsc7yzrcbb.jpg

They're sitting at about 87 internal right now. They'll be finished in cast iron pan coated in bacon grease.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Yes fellas...that's my small. :))
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I usually do my chops on my small, too.doesnt look like you can close your dome with those big suckers on there.

Little Rock, AR

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    Jeez Cazzy, my pathetic 1" chops tonight will look very sad in comparison. What kind of wood are you using?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

@cazzy wrote "As soon as I saw the chops @foghorn posted, I knew I was going to do them."

and

@Biggreenpharmacist wrote "Gonna be a lot of pork chops to look at tonight. Sounds like we are all doing chops. I can't wait to see cazzy's, especially with his photo skills."

You are all welcome.  Carry on. 

:)) :)) :))

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    Those have got to be the best chops I've ever seen. Top quality is hard to find around here, except seafood.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Ok...dinner is done.  Nom nom!  Hiiiii food coma!   :-h    

Here is another teaser pic while I finish processing my photos.