Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Spring Tension System

I recently heard about a pretty simple spring system that can be installed on existing daisy wheels. It prevents the movement of the wheel when opening the lid. Anyone heard or know where to purchase this?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    this is the link to the store but cant find an online store .
    I did email them yesterday as I think that the spring system is brilliant and i would like one

http://www.thompsonshearth.com/
    Toronto
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What DMW said. Or do what i do... just don't use the DFMT. Control with bottom vent only.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    If you align the screw on the daisy wheel,with the front of the egg. it should solve the problem. If you want the spring, get it.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Just make sure the wording "Big Green Egg" on the DFMT is facing away from you and you should not have any movement when you open the lid. It is the position of the hinge and gravity that causes the wheel to move when you open the lid.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Using the DFMT is optional as all temps can be controlled with the bottom vent only. Same could be said that if the bottom vent was to be left open, almost all temps can be controlled with the DFMT only. The egg is pretty good at air out = air in. 
    For low and slows, many use the DFMT and bottom vent and the temps can be locked in very accurately. I use it for all cooks under 400º - just works for me. I position the screw holding the petal wheel and cover flap towards the handle as noted by @DMW. Once your DFMT has some gunk on it, the technique described by @fljoemon works as well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    You can also wrap some leftover gasket material around the exhaust area of your dome under where the daisy wheel sits.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Notice the gasket material around the exhaust area. This will help the daisy wheel to fit more snug, keeping if from falling off. As long as you place the screw in the front though as mentioned above, you should be fine.

However, if you're instead talking about having to readjust your setting after your wheel swings open upon lifting the dome, this won't solve that issue. I've never had a problem though with just eyeballing it and readjusting the wheel after I shut the dome again.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Gravity is your friend
    Mark Annville, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @bitler1‌ Welcome aboard. I noticed this was your first post. +1 on the naked whiz link @DMW‌ referred you to.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Good choice in beer there @Dyal_SC‌ =D>
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    For just a few bucks, you can cut a spring and install on the screw that anchors the daisy wheel thing. I hate the DFMT + ceramic cap combo and have been much happier with the Smokeware cap for some time now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Its all rusty and crusty because I don't use it anymore. Can't remember the last time I did use it, in fact. image

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.