Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Ribs!

Options
squezz
squezz Posts: 56
Made some ribs tonight for the first time (only the 3rd cook on the BGE)!  Got a lot of good information from the forum, and decided on a non-foil method, as I didn't want to risk them getting mushy.  Indirect at around 275-300 for just a little over 4 hours.  Rubbed with the BGE Down and Dizzy and two small pieces with the Tsunami, just to try it.  They turned out great!  Came right off the bone with very little effort.  I was a little concerned about whether they were done or not, but that wasn't an issue.  Is internal temp (195) a safe way for me to test this, or is the bend or toothpick test better?  I much prefer being able to tell based off a number, rather than making a judgement call.

One other question I had was, my temp was steady around 260-270 for the first hour and then it suddenly jumped to 300-310 without any changes on my part.  Is there any way to prevent this?  When this happens, should I be modifying airflow to try and get it back or will it eventually fall back on it's own?  I found myself fiddling with the temp for the better part of the cook to make sure I had it in the range I wanted.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The ribs look outstanding! I will address your temp question when I'm free if no one else does. Excellent cook.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @squezz‌
    Your temp spike is not a mystery or unusual when all variables are taken into account and then deduced down. Let's look at a few facts then work forward. Your temp was steady at 270 degrees with several pounds of cold moist meat in the cooking chamber. After a hour at 270 degrees the meat has now risen dramatically in temperature and shed considerable moisture at this point. At this point the amount of burning lump that was necessary to hold temp with cold moist meat in the cooking chamber is now excessive for the warmed and semi dried meat. A simple vent adjustment will nullify the problem at hand. I usually choke the vents down to hold my desired temp but I certainly don't concern myself if I forget and let the temp rise 30 or so degrees. On ribs it doesn't hurt a thing in my opinion.
    As to the question of internal temp on ribs being 195. I find that this is not an absolute. Why? Adipose and connective tissue. It's displaced different on every rack so 195 will not always produce a "perfect" rack. Please remember that this is just my thoughts and opinions and what produces excellent results for me. Others success may vary. Hope this helps.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Sorry for such a vague explanation but I'm really pressed for time tonight. I can give greater detail if needed later.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I would like to touch on one last point concerning the temp spike. It takes considerable time for all the ceramic to preheat. Once all the ceramic is preheated your temp will walk up a little. Pay attention to this some time when you get a chance. Heat your egg to any temp. Once you hit the temp lay your hand on the dome. It won't be that hot. Now hold that same temp for a hour then carefully try holding your hand on the dome. It will now be very HOT. Takes time for everything to come up and settle in on temp. Minor vent adjustments solve this issue at hand. But like I said earlier I wouldn't be concerned at all over a minor temp spike at the tail end of a rib cook. If I can help or assist any farther just ask. I will gladly offer what I can.

Status- Standing by.

• stevethegreat
    Options
    And after you master the vent control and temp stabilization get a pit controller :P

J/k...kinda
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE