Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover or No Cover, What Do You Say?

So I am debating on whether to get a cover for my XLR BGE or not. I have had it for about 6 months now and was wondering how much will a cover protect the Egg?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• CLT_BGE
    CLT_BGE Posts: 12
    In for responses. I also wonder this. Additionally, are there some "cost effective" options out there?
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    I've got covers and use them during winter months and other times too,but my problem is in warmer damp weather I'm getting some mold at times in my egg when I cover,not as bad if I open the bottom vent after the fire goes out but I sometimes forget to do that.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I have a large with the bge brand vented cover... I've used it once in 2+ years when it was going to be freezing rain and I wanted to be open it and cook without the gasket getting damaged. Outside of that, my eggs sits in alfresco mode all the time.
  • If you're a road warrior, it's nice to come home to it not covered in pollen and dust.

If you're a frequent user, its just an inconvenience for minimal value.

Now, if you are protecting a table, that might be a different story.
    Gittin' there...
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    If you're a road warrior, it's nice to come home to it not covered in pollen and dust.

If you're a frequent user, its just an inconvenience for minimal value.

Now, if you are protecting a table, that might be a different story.

I agree my covers are more for keeping eggs clean instead of protection from weather.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have a medium cover that happens to fit my large. I use it all the time, mostly because my wife tells me too(this seems to be a consistent theme here). If I would do it again, I'd get an off-brand cover. Same quality for 50-60% of the price.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    You have to remember to put the cover on after the Egg cools down.  I always forget.  It is under cover anyway.  Living south of Phoenix I do not face some of the same challenges.  Except trying to cook low and slow.  Harder when you start at 111.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Nope. Never.
    Kemah, TX
  • I have covers for both of my eggs. Vented and canvas from amazon. Much more cost effective than BGE brand and does the same thing. Needed? Probably not, but it's nice to keep it clean.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    I try to always keep my eggs covered, just not when in use! :))

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    No cover
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    no cover and the full range of weather here in NY. No issues after 7 years
    Mamaroneck
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I covered mine for a week when we went on vacation. When we got back I was glad I did. Birds had managed to bomb my XL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Mine are always covered. I don't want bird sh•• on it. XL is in an open table, don't want my drip pan or gloves blown away
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    I have a top cover only for my LBGE. I was going to get a cover for the table, but it was just to expensive. The top cover is vented and seems to work well. The table being SS will be fine in the rain.
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

I don't keep mine covered, although I tried once.  I ordered a BGE cover off ebay, and the guy was right  - the package was opened but he had never used it.  Problem was - I have a large BGE (not XL).  Maybe I'll learn to read someday.  Maybe.

I put a tarp over it once when we were going to get some snow accumulation, but I've never used a cover on it, and I've not had any problems.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've had a cover for almost 5 years. A gift. I have used it 3 times.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    My cover for the large is still in the original package after 3+ years

Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I use mine after every use.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I have an open deck and am near a forested area so lots of birds and a few of the beloved raccoons.  The cover keeps the bird poop off the Egg and table  and gives the raccoons something to chew on.  What could be better?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2014
    The large and small stay covered during the winter months but out in the open during the rest of the time. It's nice when I can just uncover and get busy without worrying if the gasket is froze shut. There were many of times this winter that when I removed the cover it would stand by itself and look like another egg in the corner.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    I always have covered my grills .Had a Weber Genesis  under cover for the whole time I owned it . When I would call Weber to replace a part here or there the people on the phone were always amazed at how old it was and that it was still going. My new Weber Genesis ,my Masterbuilt electric ,my offset ,my Chargriller Acorn and now my Large Egg  are all under cover . Never exposed to the elements unless I'm cooking . Just saying!!
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    I have a cover but don't use it. The egg sits under roof so not too much gets to it other than the pollen.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    sctdg said:
    I always have covered my grills .Had a Weber Genesis  under cover for the whole time I owned it . When I would call Weber to replace a part here or there the people on the phone were always amazed at how old it was and that it was still going. My new Weber Genesis ,my Masterbuilt electric ,my offset ,my Chargriller Acorn and now my Large Egg  are all under cover . Never exposed to the elements unless I'm cooking . Just saying!!
    +1, everything is under a cover or a roof. Keeps things looking the way they are intended too. But half the year it's also covered in snow.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Mines naked and not afraid.
    Jacksonville FL
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    So I guess you are totally confused now. 
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I keep both the XL and the medium covered.  Our weather here in SoCal isn't usually bad - we do have some winds, and the covers keep the dust off.  I have the BGE covers.  The newer style embroidered covers seem much nice than the older style.  But the old XL cover is in good shape, and is nicer than the 3rd party cover a friend has.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I have a BGE large cover. I use it over my Suncast outdoor storage unit that has all my Egg stuff in it. Does a great job of keeping the rain out.
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    No cover for me. We had a hail storm about 2 months ago and no damage!
    Aurora,OH
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Apply the cover money to an AR or t-pen.
    Milton, GA.