Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Mickey. Turbo Test BB Ribs at 425 degrees.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I'm going to have to give it a try for sure. Again thanks for the kind words my friend. I truly appreciate it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Lit‌
    Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mcgyver210
    mcgyver210 Posts: 67
    Options
    SGH said:
    @mcgyver210‌ Thank you my friend. We got to get you back to eating meat!!
    @SGH I can enjoy looking but I'm probably a lost cause. Did you see our finished grill tonight I think it looked pretty good if I say so myself.

New Owner XL BGE 07/03/2014
    Middle, TN
  • SGH
    Options
    @mcgyver210‌
    I sure did my friend. It looked excellent. I'm more than sure I commented on your thread. I will double check to be certain. And there is always hope for a carnivore my friend!!

Status- Standing by.

• mcgyver210
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @SGH

Hey did you see the Lamb she fixed for our pups? Never had it myself but they devoured it.

Sorry getting OffTopic I will shutUp.
    Middle, TN
  • SGH
    Options
    @mcgyver210‌
    Brother lamb is incredible . I have posted a couple of lamb cooks myself if you know how to search for them.

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    SGH said:

@Mattman3969‌
    My wife wants to ask if you was the one that posted broccoli last night?

It has been few weeks since I did broccoli so I don't think it was me.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    This forum is an awesome place, we have carnivore teetotalers friends with vegetarians.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    She saw a vegetable post last night and thought that it was yours. She has been looking for it and can't find it. Thanks for your reply and sorry to trouble you.

Status- Standing by.

• mcgyver210
    Options
    DMW said:
    This forum is an awesome place, we have carnivore teetotalers friends with vegetarians.

:)) :D ^:)^
    Middle, TN
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    That's a good one brother. I like it!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SGH - looks good, forgive me if I missed it, but how'd it end up tasting, and relative to low n slow ribs?

Sunday - if you're around, we're making a trip out to your neck of the woods.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Brother they were par excellent. No joke. And I'm always home barring a disaster. Give me a shout.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    I have a home on the MS/Al line as well. That's about as far as I go generally so I'm always close by.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Excellent - I have an eggcessory for you too.   I'll PM you Sunday morning for your phone/address.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    That will be awesome brother.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    As far as the taste vs low and slow the taste was spot on. As to the texture there is nothing you can really do about that because of the high temp tightening the meat more. If you remember I ran a test not to long ago cooking ribs at a high temp in my vertical reverse flow cabinet over a massive water pan to see if I could replicate the texture of low and slow. Even in a air tight cooker with the massive water pan the meat still tightened more than when cooking low and slow. The taste is spot on nonetheless . As of late when cooking at very high temps I do not pull the ribs when they pass the bend test. I give them 10-15 minutes more cook time to reduce down and render out farther. It so far has yielded exceptional results for me. All the above being said I feel that the average Joe could not tell the difference in the turbo cooked ribs or the low and slow cooked ribs. However the astute BBQ chef or trained tongue can easily recognize the texture difference at first bite. In conclusion the ribs tasted spectacular my friend. I'm going to keep tweaking the method and when perfected I will gladly post the procedure here.

Status- Standing by.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @SGH. The way you think through a cook before you even start, not just on this experiment, but everything you approach, is pure poetry.
    You have an unusual sensitivity to what may work and what can be done to improve existing methods.
    My hat is always off to you. Thanks a ton.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    Thank you brother. I really enjoy cooking and always try very hard to produce a quality product. I may not succeed but I certainly try! Again thank you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    My wife saw your kind reply and says to thank you from her as well.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    One other noticeable difference as well. I really loaded the egg up with oak, pecan and Jack Daniels chips as well but no noticeable smoke ring due to the speed at which the meat cooks. You could taste smoke no doubt but there was no visible ring to speak of if that's important to you.image

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - Nicely done.  I know of the texture issue you speak of.  I'm not surprised to the lack of smoke ring - you cooked them almost like steaks.  The outer meat temp jumps up fast above the 140F range, where the myoglobin doesn't develop the color.  You could start off low and slow, when the meat hits 140F, open the turbo-gate and nuke it.  Or just add some sodium nitrite to your rub. 

Thanks for the excellent summary of your well planned experiment.  I greatly appreciate the scientific method outside of the laboratory. 
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Brother if you are still on the forum will you do me a favor? Go to my wall and look what some clown did. Thanks.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Sure, that's a 'bot ("robot" spammer).  Ignore it, most of us have that stuff and no one really looks at the wall except to mock the people thinking they were sending PMs but screwed up.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Thanks bro. Can it be removed some how?

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    You could ask.  I think they clean that stuff up now and then. 
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    I hope they remove all of that. That is a mess.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    You are mighty quite tonight. You hanging in there?

Status- Standing by.

• Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    I'll have to give this a try.  My low and slow method comes out so tender, a toothless person could eat them.  I like to spritz with a half & half apple cider vinegar, or three parts water, vinegar & some kind of fruit juice, depends on what i have on hand.  Your ribs look delicious...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • SGH
    Options
    @Redskull‌
    Thank you for the kind words. The spritz worked just as I had hoped that it would. In hind sight I just wished I would have started spritzing a little earlier in the cook. But short of that everything went just as I had hoped. Again thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.