Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuesday's Homemade Vegetable Soup And Rotisserie Chicken

Options

Comments

• HuskerMaMa
    HuskerMaMa Posts: 55
    Options
    imageimageimageimage

Recipe. ;)

I literally threw all the ingredients in a pot: 1 large zucchini - diced, not too small 1 medium yellow squash - diced, not too small 2 cups fresh spinach 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms 1 large sweet onion diced - not too small 2 cans of diced tomatoes (the regular sized cans) + 4 cans of water (I used the same cans) 1 breast meat of rotisserie chicken 1 drumstick meat of rotisserie chicken Seasonings:Mrs Dash-original, red pepper flakes, and black pepper This was pretty much it. I cooked it on the stove-top on medium -high for about an hour, this gave me softer vegetables, but you can probably cook for less for more sturdy vegetables.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @HuskerMaMa‌
    Looks like a winner to me my friend. Y'all going to have to blow the diet at Christmas and eat the brisket I send!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @HuskerMaMa‌ There ya go babe :x
    Smells delicious :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HuskerMaMa
    Options
    @SGH‌ Blakey knows my weakness is his brisket. So that won't be a problem. Your so sweet :-). Thank you.
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Tell her how it is brother!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @HuskerMaMa‌
    You are more than welcome ma'am.

Status- Standing by.

• HuskerMaMa
    Options
    @SGH‌ Thank you. Off to bed for me. I have to be up in 6 hrs to get to my office for my workout :) Nite.
  • SGH
    Options
    @HuskerMaMa‌
    Have a good one ma'am.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ the last brisky I made she ate some but, with restraint. She ate reasonable portions for several days :) (that's her absolute favorite I make---she does NOT eat pork). She loves everything off the egg but, especially brisky. Yep, that's my girl ;;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    If she likes brisket she will love the SRF. She is in for a real treat my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ I've never had one. Nor have I made one so this is like the Unicorn of Brisket s for me. And a lil giddy about it. Sure don't wanna eff it up ;-). Thanks my friend.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    You won't mess it up brother. If I have to I will pull the big Yoder down there and cook it for y'all. Me and my wife are due a road trip.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ The Stoker will be utilized and my wife's nice camera (vs my phone). I was just playing. It can't be to much different than a CAB Prime. Although you are always welcome. Me casa es su Casa ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I have no doubt that you can knock it out of the park my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'm not sure how many of y'all like a homemade chunky soup. But, this rocked! And ya can of course substitute Spatchcock vs the Publix rotisserie. Funny thing is I'm making a Spatchcock tomorrow most likely. Go figure. /:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I love chunky soup.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ ya me too! And chunky salsa. I hate that runny crap.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Amen to that brother!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cue happy ending!
    Options
    That looks very good.  Add that one to the fall list.

Garnerville, NY
  • HuskerMaMa
    Options
    @robnybbq‌ I hope you like it. This was a simple to throw together meal. I actually got caught up watching my PLL (Pretty Little Liars). It was real easy to make and tasty with a low cal count ;-)
  • HuskerMaMa
    Options
    @robnybbq‌ And Blake said this could be done easily on the egg in a Dutch Oven. I think he was just trying to hint around he wants a cast iron Dutch Oven . :)) He doesn't have one yet but, something tells me he will be asking for one before winter as we like homemade chili too ;-)
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Yeah  -Was thinking to spatchcock the chicken then simmer in a DO on the Egg.

Chilli is very good on the Egg

Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks good. Sounds good. But over 600 mg of sodium in one serving leaves me out. Not good for those of us on a low or reduced sodium diet. Maybe egged chicken with no (or little) salt added and Hunts no salt added tomatoes would do it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HuskerMaMa
    Options
    @robnybbq‌ thanks again. Post it if ya make some :-)
  • HuskerMaMa
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ The sodium was much higher than I prefer as well but, this was a "quick" meal using canned produce I already had on hand. To get lower sodium, which I also prefer, use salt free canned produce. Or go with all fresh produce. This was stuff I had on the shelf already. What I'm saying is don't discount it you can make it fit your needs. :)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That soup looks very inviting. Thanks for the recipe.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

@Carolina Q‌ The sodium was much higher than I prefer as well but, this was a "quick" meal using canned produce I already had on hand. To get lower sodium, which I also prefer, use salt free canned produce. Or go with all fresh produce. This was stuff I had on the shelf already. What I'm saying is don't discount it you can make it fit your needs. :)

I didn't mean to imply that I was discounting it... Just that I would be careful. It looks and sounds delicious. Minus the salt.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Salt is delicious, poisonous, essential and has zero calories.   Gotta love it.