Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef & Pork Ribs

First time doing beef ribs - used a brisket rub, turned out killer. Pork baby backs were good too. Thanks for looking. 260f dome, 2 hrs in smoke, 1.5hrs in foil. 30 min sit. We like em fall off the bone.

1 Large BGE, 1 Keg & 1 Joe Jr

Ajax, Ontario

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @speleoegg‌
    Looks like a home run to me. That is a hard to beat combination right there. Ribs and ribs are one of my favorites! Nice job sir. Excellent cook. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Nice cook.. I am a bigger fan of beef ribs but cook more BB's..... ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• speleoegg
    speleoegg Posts: 67
    i'm a convert to beef ribs now too!

Ajax, Ontario
  • SGH
    @speleoegg‌
    Those beef ribs are something ain't they! =D>

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• speleoegg
    SGH said:
    @speleoegg‌ Those beef ribs are something ain't they! =D>

Don't know why I waited this long to try them.

Ajax, Ontario
  • SGH
    @speleoegg‌
    Now you know to cook them weekly! ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Did you use Mickey's rub or something else? What liquid (if any) did you put in the pan when you foiled? Looks fantastic, I need to do this on Sunday for the world cup final.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • SGH
    @speleoegg‌
    If I may ask how did you cook your beef ribs?

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Love me some beef ribs. But, here lately with the price of beef not to many ribs avail at the butchers. Just spoke to my guy and he's gonna hold me some on the next sale. Hopefully within a week or 2. Mmmmm good stuff.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • speleoegg
    edited July 2014
    @stevethegreat and @SGH  the beef ribs was a spur of the moment thing, I made friends with the butcher at a local grocery store and I always show him my cooks of the stuff he sells me.  He told me the beef ribs were on special and since I was going to make baby backs I figured it was a good time for a team up!

I have an AR with a rig extender I put the beef ribs on the extender and the pork on the bottom.  I pulled the membrane of all the ribs, the beef ones were way harder to remove, I used a dull butter knife to pull a sliver and used paper towels to tug them off.  I put some EVOO on the beef ribs and added my brisket rub - this isn't my own creation, it was taken from I don't know where so my apologies if I am not giving the right credit:

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons table salt
    1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    2 teaspoons mustard powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
    1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder 

I would have let the rub sit overnight but thought we were having rain today so I added the rub and put em on within 1 hr.  I ran dome 260F for 2hrs, spritzed with apple juice every 30 min after the first hour.  Pulled all racks at 2hrs and about 15 min (I had a conference call that ran late) and spritzed one last time with apple juice and foiled and returned to the egg for another 2 hrs.  I know that is a long time but my last racks of baby backs were tough and SWMBO and the boy don't like tough ribs so I opted for a longer foil period.  

Once I pulled all the racks I bent the baby backs and then bent and used a tooth pick on the beef ribs.  One beef rack still needed a little more time, so I gave one rack another 30 min and it was a good call.  I let everything sit for 30 min - no FTC given I just wanted all the juices to get re-absorbed.  I'm trying to get less mechanical on my cooks and better evaluate the meat and so far this approach is yielding better results for me.

I got the rain I was trying to avoid  yesterday so I used my smokeware cap for the first time, its great but I had a spike of temp when the rain and higher winds swept in.  Some learning to do still for me with this but I'm happy with the purchase.  Finally, beef ribs are really fatty...I always put a cut down lasagna aluminum try as a drip pan with plumbing Ts underneath (I don't add water to my pan) and I have to usually cut it down to make it fit between the AR grids and the oblong stone.  It was nearly full!

Ajax, Ontario
  • speleoegg
    Forgot to mention one last thing one chunk of cherry wood and one chunk of pecan.

Ajax, Ontario
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Looks like a great combo, nice cook

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe