Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where's all the brisky pics??

Options
It's the fourth, I know half of you out there are cooking brisket and we wanna see some pics!!
NW IOWA

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Doing one tomorrow.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Stalling out @ 160 I have 2 hrs and am getting a bit worried.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌ 2hrs for what? You have to serve it in 2hrs? What's the pit temp rolling at?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you are at 160 you have 5-6 hrs to go skinny. Time to wrap and fire it up. Let me know if you need help. Time to hit the gas if you are at 160 and serving in 2 hrs.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SkinnyV
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hoping to eat dinner in 2 hrs....cooked 6 hrs@ 235, just bumped to 275.
    Just family here so if we make it great if not life goes on.

BTW its 7lbs and I am noticing when you dial in the temps with a guru the cook times are longer.

Also with the AR just removed a foil pan and added some abt's and corn...love the flexibility.
    Seattle, WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wrap it now.. You can finish without the foil to firm up the bark if you need to. You are 2 hrs away if you wrap. Many more if you don't.
  • SkinnyV
    edited July 2014
    Options

Wrap it now.. You can finish without the foil to firm up the bark if you need to. You are 2 hrs away if you wrap. Many more if you don't.

10-4 Cen.....will do.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    +1 on @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ the man knows his brisky.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌ Hellz Ya! Looks like a fantastic meal awaits even with the brisky under wraps. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Now you are rocking. Keep an eye on the temp. It can pop fast once wrapped. Kills the stall so it should get moving quickly.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ if wrapped for push does it ruin the bark. Or do you unwrap toward the finishline to stiffen it up? I avoid the crutch for fear of destroying my bark. Now I just time it to where I can go uncovered and FTC if needed. Tips on crutch? Thanks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Philly35‌
    Sadly I can't cook brisket. So I'm sitting here waiting on pics as well. I'm sure we will see some before the weekend is over my friend. Enjoy the holiday and stay safe.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    To be honest on brisket I'm not sure I care about bark..... 170 now....the song cruisin cones to mind......
    In other news Seattle weather just took a turn for the worst bright hot sun turned to clouds hope it clears for my boys sake. We still have 4 hrs or so till fireworks show.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SGH said:

@Philly35‌
    Sadly I can't cook brisket. So I'm sitting here waiting on pics as well. I'm sure we will see some before the weekend is over my friend. Enjoy the holiday and stay safe.

I'm gonna wave the BS flag on that buddy. You'd kill on a brisky brotha! ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ if wrapped for push does it ruin the bark. Or do you unwrap toward the finishline to stiffen it up? I avoid the crutch for fear of destroying my bark. Now I just time it to where I can go uncovered and FTC if needed. Tips on crutch? Thanks.

depends- if the bark is set up before the wrap it will soften but hold up nicely. I like the bark after a long cooler hold which is similar. I've gone to paper over foil....just because that's the method of the gurus in our area. I've never wrapped in anything while cooking unless I had to though- and that is like 2 or 3 times total.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ yes I've noticed even if I go completely uncovered and then FTC the bark softens a lil bit. I guess condensation having effect. Maybe using butcher paper vs foil as Caddy suggested would help in that aspect.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Most of the time I myself do not wrap brisket. That being said I do cook them at a very low temp over a massive water pan. During the last hour or so I dump the water to allow the bark to reset if you will. It's akin to unwrapping for the last bit of cooking to reset the bark. It's the steam and moisture from either wrapping or using a water pan that softens and kills the bark. Hence the unwrapping or dumping the water pan during the final stage of cooking. Just my thoughts my friend. I could be off by a mile though.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ yes I've noticed even if I go completely uncovered and then FTC the bark softens a lil bit. I guess condensation having effect. Maybe using butcher paper vs foil as Caddy suggested would help in that aspect.

Help in what way? The bark will soften in both foil and paper. I prefer it that way
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ ok. Gotcha man. Thanks. I guess it's normal either way. I'll continue doing it the same then. I also like the bark a lil softened for serving time. Thx
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Good point about FTC, I've done most this way and it softens up the same way I would think.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    I think brother husker is referring to a "mushy" bark. Not so much as a soft or yielding bark. I could be wrong. He may prefer it crunchy. Some folks do.

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I cooked one. Prime packer, about 14 lbs. Used the "running on faith" method - 325ish, Pecan, Hickory, water pan, indirect. No Maverick. Done when my ice pick ran through the flat like it was buttah. 4.5hrs cook time. It jiggled pretty well when I wrapped it for FTC. Dinner time in 1hr.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ I think brother husker is referring to a "mushy" bark. Not so much as a soft or yielding bark. I could be wrong. He may prefer it crunchy. Some folks do.

I assumed he was but I was saying that using either paper or foil to hold after the cook will soften the crusty bark (as you well know). I like both styles of bark if done right
  • SGH
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    I like them both as well my friend. Some folks seem to prefer them either soft or crunchy. I'm with you. I like them either way when done correct. Have a safe and happy holiday my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    You guys are all talk no show! 25 posts and no pics!
    NW IOWA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Yes that is exactly what I was referring to. Soft okay. Mushy uggh blech
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Pulled at 190 with a little rest. Could be better but its not dry at all. Thanks again Cen

imageimageimage
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    =D> looks good! Nice slices. And I'm a sucker for c.o.t.c. bravo!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Philly35 said:

You guys are all talk no show! 25 posts and no pics!

My brisket isn't going on till Saturday night, but here is some brisky for ya! :P

photo IMG_3856_zps798e7187.jpg
    photo IMG_3859_zps04cbad89.jpg
    photo IMG_1276.jpg
    photo IMG_1286.jpgphoto DSC_6221_zps36747150.jpg
    photo DSC_6235_zpsd68afb88.jpgphoto DSC_6495_zpsf3270d55.jpgphoto DSC_7113_zps7cd0759f.jpgphoto DSC_7124_zpsfc71ae39.jpgphoto DSC_7139_zps058c1b7f.jpg
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....