Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My grate doesn't quite fit on my placesetter and a raised grate question

Hello everyone,
I have a medium and I bought a placesetter for it after I purchased it (used) and my issue is that my grate doesn't quite fit on my placesetter (legs up). it's just a little bit too small, so it won't quite 'lock up' over top and it slides around on the placesetter feet. I thought remembered reading on there that there were two different sized grates for the medium but I can't seem to find it anymore. Can someone advise?
Secondly, once I get the right sized grate, I'd like to do a raised grate setup, can anyone advise what size top grate I'd need for a medium or if it's even possible?
Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
"I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you have new style platesetter and old style grid    grid size changed couple years ago  15" to 15.75"

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @‌Helmet
    I can't help with the medium issue as I have a large. Here is a useful tip if you have a large as well. That older style 15 inch grid that you have will work on the spider in the large. The newer 15.75 will not. Just thought I would share.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Ahh ok, thanks @tjv!
  • Helmet
    edited July 2014
    Does anyone have a 15.75" they'd like to trade me for my 15"? :D
  • SGH
    @Helmet‌
    Not sure where you are located but if you are near by I would like to take that 15 inch off your hands.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Are you close to Biloxi?

Status- Standing by.

• Helmet
    I'm in Englewood, FL - about an hour south of Tampa.
  • SGH
    @Helmet‌
    Yeah that's a tad bit out of the way.

Status- Standing by.

• Helmet
    If you have a 15.75 you're willing to trade (mine is the black grate) I'd be happy to ship you mine on Monday, not sure if it would be worth it though.
  • SGH
    I do not. I have the large egg and it uses a 17. But that older 15 will work on the spider in my large. The newer 15.75 will not. If your is SS I will gladly buy it if you are interested. If it's porcelain coated it will not hold up to being close to the coals. Is yours SS?

Status- Standing by.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @Helmet .Could you buy a new grate from BGE and use the old one to raise a cook using nuts and bolts?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I had the same issue 3-4 years ago and its how they were coming new. I got rid of my medium because of it. I checked several stores and every floor model had the same issue and I was told by the sales rep they had previous complaints about it.
  • Helmet
    Unfortunatly @SGH - it's porcelain coated I believe (it's black - and not just from grill grease :))

@HHumptyEsq - that's not a bad idea, I wonder how far up into the dome I can get it, I'll check on it later
  • Helmet
    @Lit, it's crazy that they didn't know about it back then at the dealers.