Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your thoughts on YETI coolers???

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I bought the 45 as I am thinking that's all I can lift. As good as they are: they are heavy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Smoked three briskets two weeks ago. FTCd and stuck them in the Pelican. Almost 170 internal temp when I pulled the first one 4 hours later. So yes, they're great for ice. But they're awesome for keeping stuff warm/hot.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mickey
    edited July 2014
    Damn double post L-) (I will use it like @henapple‌ to up my posts)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Might be hard to read. That's a 75qt yeti for $400

There's no way I'm paying $400 for a cooler, even if it holds ice for 7 days.
  • Mickey
    BYS1981 said:
    Might be hard to read. That's a 75qt yeti for $400
    There's no way I'm paying $400 for a cooler, even if it holds ice for 7 days.

You are right (and I am sitting here with two). Anywhere I travel I can get to new ice in an hour or three. This is for 80% of us I bet. But for those that have to go 4 and 6 days w/o ice they are all there is, they are the best (talking all the top named extended brands named here). No difference in your truck having 4x4 and living in the damn middle of Texas (why). But sometimes it's more fun to have than leaving the money to the kids. I enjoy mine, is it mandatory to have: hell no.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have 2 Yeti's and think they are great. I'm sure the Pelican and Engel are also excellent. I have found if you pre cool or preheat the cooler it can last for days. Also chill your beverages before putting them in the cooler.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mickey
    ++++1 on what @jhl192 just said. I have started saving plastic containers like cool whip size in the freezer and those large chunks really stay well.

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Oops - sorry $379 at Costco.com.  Typo, wishful thinking, or scotch or maybe all three...  @55lbs, it ain't me.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    @Mickey‌ you are retired, you spend your money how you please - I'm not saying don't do that, I'm saying I'll be spending mine on private schools because my local district public schools suck! Lol
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @Griffin- that's good stuff!  Took me a second to realize what I was looking at.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Love my ORCAs

LBGE

BTFU!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Mickey said:
    ++++1 on what @jhl192 just said. I have started saving plastic containers like cool whip size in the freezer and those large chunks really stay well.
    Try freezing 1/2 gallon plastic milk jugs filled with water. They work well too, and can be reused. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Anyone have any luck finding a cooler stand for the Yeti?

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    @Griffin - you owe me a new keyboard!! Absolutely hilarious.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Mickey
    BYS1981 said:

@Mickey‌ you are retired, you spend your money how you please - I'm not saying don't do that, I'm saying I'll be spending mine on private schools because my local district public schools suck! Lol

No buddy. I took it that way. All very cool. When we were doing private schools and college you bet your ass it was all igloos.

• Mickey
    caliking said:

Mickey said:

Try freezing 1/2 gallon plastic milk jugs filled with water. They work well too, and can be reused. 
    Do you have a special science skill to get the ice out of the bottle? Kidding....
    But I will try that in maybe a qt size as using only the 45 & 20 Roadie size. Have to as any bigger you and henapple are going to have to come by the house to load.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Just a heads up Costco sells that same cat for $60. That's what I use for the pool.
  • nolaegghead
    I'll fill a bunch of 1 gallon freezer bags with water and make ice. Just leave the bags closed if you want your cooler dry. The ice stores in flat rectangles in your freezer. Very space efficient. Gawd damn I feel like Martha Stewart all of a sudden.
    @gquiz I have a cart that my yeti fits in that I can tote around...is that what you mean by stand?

At the Texas Open they use rotomolded coolers. And have metal stands for them. Wondering. If anyone has seen anything similar. I may still grab one of this carts.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Its going to be a good weekend even if I end up on the couch. Picked up 2 shoulders, a sirloin cap, 3 racks of ribs and a 50 qt blue yeti. I was going back and forth between the 50 and 65 and hope I made the right decision. I liked the 50 cause its shorter and may leave room in my wagon for the mini.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    pelican engel grizzly and k2 yeti are all what i own/owned.....
    i would buy grizzly, pelican or engel again.... yeti customer service was **** on a couple of my older coolers that are us made so i won't be buying from them again... orca makes a nice cooler as well is ice hole coolers and both are  usa made
    Beaufort, SC
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Reading this post helps me understand how the people feel that scoff at the expense of a Vitamix. I can't imagine ever spending so much money on a cooler when my 10 year old Igloo Ice Cube does everything I need it to do. I mean - yeah I get it - your $400 cooler saves you a bag of ice every two days.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    I love this country!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    edited July 2014
    I love the Yeti I have and it is the best at keeping ice that I have seen.  It is very heavy though, and if I don't need to keep ice for days I find myself taking Igloo marine coolers instead.  That said, when I went camping on PINS for several days last year, where you can't just run to the corner store for ice, the Yeti was the ice cooler and worth every penny and pound of weight.  We took another beer/food cooler with us and just pulled ice out the Yeti to replenish it as needed.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    You get what you pay for. I guess some people don't mind warm beer..... :))
    GWN
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Nanook said:
    You get what you pay for. I guess some people don't mind warm beer..... :))
    Steady on now!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• nolaegghead
    Note to self:  When trolling, start either lump or ice chest thread....
    edited July 2014
    Note to self:  When trolling, start either lump or ice chest thread....
    @nolaegghead. Here! Here! to that. Or the angle of your lawn mower blades.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.