Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firecraft

Options
2»

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The consensus is more people are vocal on this forum about saying they (OO and Rockwood) are better than RO.

I've become a lump snob to some extent, but I think it's more because the Big 3 (OO, RW, and FOGO) burn clean quicker than the others.  Once RO et al are at temperature and the VOCs have burned off, I don't see a huge difference.  Then again, I don't mind a little smoke, either.
    NOLA
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    I don't think there's a tremendous difference between RO and OO. There is a slight difference though. Whether it's worth the extra money/effort is hard to say.
    Southern California
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    I don't think there's a tremendous difference between RO and OO. There is a slight difference though. Whether it's worth the extra money/effort is hard to say.

For me, ordering online is less effort.  So there's that.
    NOLA
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    buzd504 said:

bicktrav said:

You're right, effort isn't the right word there. My big issue with online ordering is I've had bags with a ton of dust/chips in them. I'm pretty sure that's from the packing and shipping process.

Southern California
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    For me it's the quality of the lump from light to finish. Ordering from Firecraft is great for me since I don't have to worry about shipping and can pick it up either that day or the day after...

Of course if I lived in TX I would have to deal with shipping; but my brisket would be real cheap
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    bicktrav said:

buzd504 said:

bicktrav said:

You're right, effort isn't the right word there. My big issue with online ordering is I've had bags with a ton of dust/chips in them. I'm pretty sure that's from the packing and shipping process.

It is still being shipped to the store you pick it up at Is it not? So I would say it's in the packaging not the shipping...oh hell blame it on us truck drivers we get blamed for everything else too.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Humphries lump? I get it locally from a farm store here for $14/ 20# bag at 5 or more bags. It's not smokey like the RO and gets hotter and lasts longer than the RO for pizzas.
    I made pizzas one Friday and then proceeded to cook a brisket for 16 hrs afterward on the same load of lump. On an XL of course.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Just placed an order with FireCraft today for 5 bags of Rockwood.  First time using something other that BGE brand - should have an opinion by next weekend.

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• hapster
    Options
    SJ21XDC said:

Just placed an order with FireCraft today for 5 bags of Rockwood.  First time using something other that BGE brand - should have an opinion by next weekend.

Welcome to the club...
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Just got my 5 bags of rockwood today from Firecraft. Hopefully will get to use it soon, need to finish off my RO first though.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • hapster
    Options

Just got my 5 bags of rockwood today from Firecraft. Hopefully will get to use it soon, need to finish off my RO first though.

Try a bag of Rockwood, don't wait... You can always re-gift the RO :))
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Never tried Rockwood or OO. I have been happy w/ WGWW. It lights fairly quick, burns off VOCs quick, pretty neutral in the smoke dept, lasts through long L&S and gets to high temps without any problems for searing etc.

Would I or should I expect to see a dramatic difference if I decided to try either RW or OO?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hapster
    Options

Never tried Rockwood or OO. I have been happy w/ WGWW. It lights fairly quick, burns off VOCs quick, pretty neutral in the smoke dept, lasts through long L&S and gets to high temps without any problems for searing etc.

Would I or should I expect to see a dramatic difference if I decided to try either RW or OO?

I would say the last bag of WGWW I used, it's good lump, but I would put it behind Rockwood and just ahead of Ozark. I'd probably still use it if it was available locally. Since they took it outta ACE, going with Rockwood and Ozark from Firecraft is a no brainer since they're 10min away from me
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @hapster‌ I'm buying mine local but, it's a hike for me if it wasn't for the fact that one of my accounts is next door I probably wouldn't drive that far. I'm trying to get the local Ace to start carrying it again (sounds like a strong possibility which would be nice for many folks here).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL