Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So close...decision time. Brisket

Options
erapp100
erapp100 Posts: 12
edited June 2014 in Beef
14 lber going on 18hrs. Temp at 187. its 9:30 am now, feels like butter. Guests dont come until 3 or 4. Dome is at 215 with ATC. Can I keep it on for another few hours to 200 or 205 so I don't have to do a 6 hour FTC?? I left a lot of fat on it. Should I drop dome temp? Just DONT want to dry it out. Last time I FTC for 6 hours it was ruined but didn't have a good cooler. Now I have a serious one.

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Is it the thickest part of the flat that the probe goes in like butter? 187 IT is pretty low to be ready to pull. Not impossible but not the norm in my experience.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • erapp100
    Options
    i may have the probe a little far out but I don't think so. Not saying it can't get smoother but no resistance whatsoever. i guess I'm ok for a while longer.
  • erapp100
    Options
    Dropped to 210
  • erapp100
    Options
    Turned out amazing. Best brisket I have ever done.
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    Nice!
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    =D>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Home-run! Bet there were some tasty eats there!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @erapp100‌
    Looks like a home run to me. Excellent job my friend! =D> =D> =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Great looking cook. My mouth is watering looking at it...Awesome!!!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Great job. What did you decide to do?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • erapp100
    Options
    Kept it on. Decided I was making a beginner mistake by being impatient. Took it off at 205. FTC for two hours. Still needed a rubber glove to hold while slicing. Flat sliced ok. Overall the rest pretty much fell apart nicely. I left a lot of fat on and it was great meat to begin with. All if which contributed to it turning out so well. I've decided it's not a big sacrafice if it doesn't slice up pretty like A Franklin video. Taste is more important. Piles of brisket make great picking and sandwiches. Thanks all for the encouragement and advice, especially those who don't know I used it.