Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Surf & Turf

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
Reverse seared a couple of filet mignons and did the sear on the Mini griddle along side some sea scallops on a little melted butter & EVOO.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

One of the scallops disappeared before I could take a picture and my wife was standing there saying "yum": Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
It was a nice quick meal thanks to the Mini.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @R2Egg2Q‌
    Brother that looks incredible! Steak and butter. It doesn't get any better than that. How do you like that griddle for steaks vs a grid?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• R2Egg2Q
    Thanks @SGH! I normally use a CI grid for searing steaks but figured I'd use the griddle since I was going to use it to sear the scallops anyway. It worked well but I can't say I thought it came out any better than on a CI grid. Don't get the pretty cross marks like on the CI grid but that isn't that important to me. I think I need to do a side by side taste test with my favorite cut, ribeye, and see which method I like better.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @R2Egg2Q‌
    I always sear on the spider with a cast iron grid. Been thinking about searing in a cast iron pan the next time I do steaks. A lot of people on the forum prefer the pan and griddle seared over the grid seared. Must be something to it. Again your food looks excellent and thanks for your input.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Looks great!

Where did you get the CI for the mini?
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    That looks Awesome..So simple but so delicious looking..Congrats..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    It's nice to use a Lodge ci grill pan for searing....they make great grill marks, but boy is it a heavy sucker......bought it a thrift store for $2......it's condition showed the previous owner knew absolutely zilch about how to use / care for ci......I also have a great small group of Griswold pans, all used frequently, that required a little labor to revive....but they are so much better than today's ci because of the quality of the metal and how they were milled.....great fun to cook on
    Berlin, Maryland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited June 2014
    I just slobbered all over my keyboard. Looks deelish!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Incredible looking plate of food!  Nice job on the pics too.  

We don't need no stinking sear marks!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    r8rs4lf said:
    Looks great!

Where did you get the CI for the mini?

Thanks!

Here's a couple of places you can find it:
    Lodge CI griddle #L70GH3 (http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html or http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_309165)

Bay Area, CA
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    WOW that first pic is a thing of beauty!    

I have tried reverse sear for Steak using 1) cast iron grate, 2) cast iron skillet . . . both excellent.   

Personally, I am sticking to the Cast Iron Grate for my steak sear because a little healthier (not sitting/searing in fat) and with a turn/flip/turn method - I find the crosshatch marks leave an excellent crust with plenty of that seared goodness flavor.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    All nice: plate and food
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Just finished supper, fajitas on the egg, But looking at your pics, I am hungry all over again. Very nice job. ^:)^
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Wow!!! That looks ridiculously good. Just sent this link to my wife. I wanted to give her a "hint" that I want one of those CI griddles. ;)
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @R2Egg2Q What temp were ya at??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Impressive
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • R2Egg2Q
    Dyal_SC said:
    Wow!!! That looks ridiculously good. Just sent this link to my wife. I wanted to give her a "hint" that I want one of those CI griddles. ;)

Thanks Craig! The griddle pairs pretty well with a Mini Woo.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    @R2Egg2Q What temp were ya at??

I preheated the griddle on the side burner of my gasser so it didn't take long to get up to where I wanted it (read 500+ with my IR gun).

Bay Area, CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Dude! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Hell yea
    Greensboro, NC