Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Egg

Its my second time using The Egg...and i was sitting there monitoring the temperature. Needed to get it to 350 degrees...when all of a sudden I heard a snap. It couldn't be...i looked inside and sure enough it cracked. Anyone know why and any advice?
XL...Round Rock, TX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It was probably a defective cast.  That's what the warranty is for.
    That sucks, especially on your second cook. My base cracked after almost 1.5 years. Its being replaced tomorrow. I'll never buy a used egg because of the warranty.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • So after 1.5 years are you covered on the warranty?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • nolaegghead
    The ceramics are for the life of the owner.
  • nolaegghead
    That also, the outside of the egg, is ceramic and covered lifetime.
  • nolaegghead
    Please post a picture of the inside of the egg.  We had this happen recently:  the dealer didn't include the firebox and the bottom hemisphere was heating up too hot.  Still covered - dealer screwup.
    Take photos and receipt to your dealer. If there's any problem, email all of it to BGE HQ and follow up with a phone call. The Mother Ship will provide.
    Kemah, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

So after 1.5 years are you covered on the warranty?

Lifetime on ceramics. And depending on the dealer I've had my CI grid warranty covered 2x when past the warranty mark. Take pics and get the ball rolling immediately.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    DMW said:
    That sucks, especially on your second cook. My base cracked after almost 1.5 years. Its being replaced tomorrow. I'll never buy a used egg because of the warranty.
    I get my new bottom tomorrow as well, mine lasted 3 years or so and I heard the dreaded snap last weekend.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• nolaegghead
    jllbms said:
    Take photos and receipt to your dealer. If there's any problem, email all of it to BGE HQ and follow up with a phone call. The Mother Ship will provide.
    Good advice.  Heed!
    It took my LBGE 8 years to crack, took photos, sent them to the dealer where  I bought the Egg and had a new base in 5 days.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My egg is new except for the dome thanks to the warranty. I've had the following replaced under warranty in the past 2 years. 1 base, 1 firebox, 2 fire rings, and 2 platesetters (3 year warranty on platesetter).
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @cortguitarman‌, what happened to your plate setters? Mine just lost a leg when it tipped in my egg. Just wondering in terms of coverage.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @Eggcelsior‌ Mine each got hairline cracks.id think they'd cover it if you can prove it broke in the egg.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • At daylight tomorrow, I will get photos and post. Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I hope I can get a replacement before the 4th...having a huge crowd and was planning to show it off!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    You have had the egg for 1.5 years and only used it 2 times?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    You have had the egg for 1.5 years and only used it 2 times?
    No, I'm the one that had mine crack after 1.5 years. And 2 times a week is a slow week here. :))

Her's cracked on the second use.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Here are 2 photos one of the interior and one of the exterior at the lower portion
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited June 2014
    I see only one picture and that one is an expansion joint that is intentionally put into the firebox so it can expand and contract.  I am afraid that the exterior crack may not be intentional.   That firebox doesn't look like it has ever been cooked in at all?  Is that a before picture?  

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • This is the lower portion near the vent
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • I took it this morning. So there's no crack on the interior? I posted the exterior one...let me know what you think.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited June 2014
    I don't see a crack in the outside picture.  It looks like a pint chip that possibly occurred when it was put into the nest.  Maybe you are OK and just need some touch up paint.  A close picture of the outside crack may help.  Take a picture on the bottom of the egg and see if there is a crack there.  I hope this is just cosmetic.
     ALSO, I would pull out the grate,the firering and firebox to see if there is a crack in the bottom.  That would be dangerous and would certainly need replacement.  

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You would need to take the firebox, firegrate and fire ring out and see if the crack is on the interior of the Egg.  The firebox, fire grate and fire ring are of course, separate removable items.  I'd bet if you heard a snap, and see a crack on the outside, you will find the crack extends to the inside.
    The Naked Whiz
  • You can see a white line in the second photo if you enlarge the photo.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    The question needs to be asked: are you putting your lump under the fire grate (cast iron disk with holes) and lighting there?  Lump should go on top of the fire grate - fire ring looks too clean.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    It looks like a cracked base. Now it looks like the fire ring Crack is supposed to be there as it is a relief cut for expansion to prevent a crack
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739

The internal pic looks normal, that cut is supposed to be there. The external pic looks like a chip more than a crack, worth talking to the dealer about if they put it in the nest.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207

@tksmoke I agree. Fire ring and grate is too clean. Plus I see what looks to be a lot of used charcoal under the fire grate. Are you burning your lump on the fire grate or below it?

Eddie

Raleigh, NC