Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Egg

Options

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Looks like a chip of the outside, setting in then nest can be tight mine scratched my egg a bit also.
    I had a cracked base that lasted over a year, I don't advise its OK but I swapped it out before it failed.
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I agree the interior "crack" that is shown is the expansion crack that is by design in the firebox.

The exterior looks like a paint chip. 

Here are pics of the crack in my egg.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    What if it was user error?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    Thanks DMW for those photos...i dont see anything like that inside mine. I know Naked Whiz said to take it all apart, but the eyes are rolling back in my head.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2014
    Options

If I was in your shoes I would use the egg as it is. Get it nice and purdy with the black stuff in the fire ring, bowl and grate.
    If the crack shows up more then start to worry and report it. User error from.putting it in the nest is on the user. A chip is nothing to worry about, like I stated same thing happend when I set it in my nest.

Have fun cooking.
    Seattle, WA
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    Thanks SkinnyV...I think that's good advice!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Marianne - were you burning your lump below the fire grate?  I would at least pull out the fire grate - that takes no effort - it just lifts right out.  Put a finger or two into the holes and lift out.  Clean out all the ash below the fire grate, and inspect for cracks.  You need to clean the old ash out anyhow - cleaning out the ash box from time to time is necessary for correct air flow in the egg.  Some folks use a shop vac - I push my old ash out thru the lower vent door into a container, and throw into the garden.  With your egg being so clean, you probably won't even get your hands dirty.

If it looks OK, continue to cook and monitor the situation.  Clean out the ash box every few cooks and check for any problems due to faulty casting...

Santa Paula, CA
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options

@tksmoke I agree. Fire ring and grate is too clean. Plus I see what looks to be a lot of used charcoal under the fire grate. Are you burning your lump on the fire grate or below it?

Good eye...i did not see the burnt lump UNDER the fire grate..that might have something to do with the cracked bottom
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    How hot did you actually get the Egg? From looking at your pics, I agree with everybody else. I don't think you have a crack. The pop may have been the lump coal or something in it. I would do as @nakedwhiz‌ suggest and pull out the fire ring and firebox and inspect for a crack. If all is good, make sure you line up the opening of the firebox with the opening of the lower vent when you put them back in there.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    I have noticed that everyone who has a cracked egg has the egg in a nest.  Could it be the nest does not support the load enough?  I have had mine in a custom table and on ceramic tiles for 5 years now with no issues.

Just a thought.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    Tksmoke. I will have a look tonight, even though I'm afraid to know what's there. Will let y'all know. Thanks to everyone with your great comments. This is a fabulous forum!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Mine was in a custom table when it cracked, it did take 8 years to crack though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    While I agree that you are probably fine to still use it, I would pull the grate, firebox and fire ring just to see if you have a crack.   If you don't then you are good to go.  Just like getting your first door ding in your new car.  Next time however, build the fire on TOP of the grate.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Nope, I had a crack while in a table.
    Kemah, TX
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    So I took it apart and cleaned it all out and found a crack. I called BBQ Outfitters here in Austin where I bought it and they are bringing me out a new base. I am so happy, cuz we are having a big crowd for the 4th. I can't say enough about the customer service...I need to spread the word to anyone in Austin wanting to buy a BGE to go there!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I agree that it looks like you put your fire under the metal plate.  Please review the operating manual.  The ceramic at the bottom portion of the egg just isn't as thick as the middle gets because of the fire box and fire ring. If you do this again you could have an additional cracked egg.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    My egg cracked after 1 1/2 years . I have emailed BGE, Bruce Bohannon and called the mothership and have yet to get a response!!!! Starting to wonder about their customer service!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Great news about the dealer's response. Now the real fun begins - do a practice cook or 2 before the 4th festivities.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    tksmoke...yes, I agree with you on the practice cook.  Great advice!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    One other thing - in your first pic, the grate is upside down. The chamfered edges of the holes should face down. Apparently helps the ash fall to the bottom without clogging the holes. More likely to make a difference on low and slow cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • marianneiamele1
    marianneiamele1 Posts: 119
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Caliking...wow...both sides look the same to me! I wish The Egg had come with a book or get started diagram.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Who needs a manual when you have this forum?? :)

If you look at the charcoal grate, the holes will either have a V or an A shaped orientation when viewed from the side. You want to place it in the firebox so the holes are in the A shaped orientation when viewed from the side.

I hope this makes sense. I may not have explained it very well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Marian, I have to ask. You didn't put the charcoal under the grate did you? :)
    Kemah, TX
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    I'm changing my name to Lois Lerner
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

I'm changing my name to Lois Lerner

You've taken the first step of pleading the fifth. Has your hard drive crashed that contained relevant emails? :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    No, but that may be next!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Kosko said:
    My egg cracked after 1 1/2 years . I have emailed BGE, Bruce Bohannon and called the mothership and have yet to get a response!!!! Starting to wonder about their customer service!
    Have you contacted the dealer you bought it from? Almost ALL of the warranty replacement is done through your authorized dealer.

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    What did you manage to cook with that little room for lump, and the space between the lump and said food?

That has to be the most raised, indirect cook, ever.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    So FatCity...just yuck it up....I'll get you back some day
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    So FatCity...just yuck it up....I'll get you back some day
    Wasn't really trying to be funny.. Serious there!! ;)

What did you manage to cook with the lump that far down and covered up?
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax