Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firestarters?

Options
2»

Comments

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I think I'm going back to my charcoal chimney when my BGE starters are out or trying the oil and paper towel trick. I use Kingsford competition briquettes in my WSM so I figure I'll just use 3 or 4 briquettes equally spaced on the lump in my BGE. Until April I always started my smoker with the Minion Method. When I bought the egg I bought some BGE starters, they are convenient. 
    Dearborn MI
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    My wife makes mine for me. She takes little cotton disks (makeup removers) and dips about 2/3 of it in melted candle wax. She can make about 120 for $2.00.
    Thanks for the tip.  I made some of these myself and have used them for the last few cooks. Quick and easy to make and a whole lot cheaper than buying any of the other options.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • jshillin
    jshillin Posts: 42
    Options
    I just use the Weber starters in my chimney most times, other times I will just slightly bury one in the egg.  Really just depends on if I'm going low & slow or hot & fast.  It's less than $4 for 24 of them so it's cost effective enough for me.  
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I use the fire starters from Whole Foods..about 72 for about $6.
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    I used to use the Rutlands, now I use a 7 dollar harbor freight heat gun. Works great.
    Cleveland, Ohio