Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mosquitoes are terrible this summer

Options
tarheelmatt
tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
Does anyone recommend a yard spray or anything else that one can use for mosquitoes?  These things are horrendous this year for some reason. 

My three month old little girl loves being outside, but cannot really take her out due to these things.  I have searched to take care of any standing water I could find but they are still around. 
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    I wouldn't be too inclined to spray chemicals that a 3-month old might get exposed to (or yourself!)

I have a 5 gallon metal bucket that I light a smudge in, which basically gives me a smoldering portable campfire.  Just put it downwind of where your family is hanging out and you will greatly reduce the flying varmints.

New Brunswick, Canada

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌
    If you find anything that works let me know. We are plagued with them.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Here in Michigan, Grand Rapids, there is company called mosquito squad, a friend uses them and the kids can play outside 1/2 hr. after they spray. He says it works good.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I bought at Rural King and use it about 3 times a summer. It will definitely help. The label says safe for children and pets after the fog is gone. I do it after dark as to not freak the neighbors out. And needless to say I will do it atleast 2 days before the granddaughter comes over.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Plant some lemon grass or cat mint on the periphery of the play area. I have zero issues with mosquitoes. I live near a creek that floods during heavy storms so the little flying friends are always an issue. My wife has this magical power to attract any and all mosquitoes in the area to her. She'll get bit 6 times in the 5 minutes she is outside and I get
    0. Planting the above mentioned plants solved the issue without chemicals. I too have little ones so that is a concern as well.
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Off and a slew of other brands have a pre mixed spray that attaches to a hose. Most say pet and child safe after it dries and they really do work. I have a 6 month old puppy and she hasn't had a single issue
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Also, do you have any bushes that have growth near the ground? Prune them along the bottom as this is an area mosquitoes breed. Neighbors too.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    This appears to me our issue too.  I have 0 and the wife 30.  Was out picking veggies Monday evening and the wife couldn't stand it, so she went back into the house with the baby. 
    Plant some lemon grass or cat mint on the periphery of the play area. I have zero issues with mosquitoes. I live near a creek that floods during heavy storms so the little flying friends are always an issue. My wife has this magical power to attract any and all mosquitoes in the area to her. She'll get bit 6 times in the 5 minutes she is outside and I get 0. Planting the above mentioned plants solved the issue without chemicals. I too have little ones so that is a concern as well.

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Nah, not really.  I don't really have any neighbors.  Will try some of the plants you indicated to see if that helps first.  I hate chemicals. 
    Also, do you have any bushes that have growth near the ground? Prune them along the bottom as this is an area mosquitoes breed. Neighbors too.

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Cavan806
    Cavan806 Posts: 1
    Options

I use Talstar P.  It has been a game changer for me.  I live in an older neighborhood in Charlotte, NC with a lot of mature landscape.  The mosquitoes have always been brutal.  I have tried the companies that come out and spray but they were never as effective as using Talstar P for me.  Check it out.  Its worth giving it a try.  You gotta spray it in all the bushes and make sure you get it under the leaves on the trees and bushes as much as possible.  This stuff is very safe.  I too had concerns about the kids and dogs after an application but I was assured by every exterminator I talked to as well as a few chemist friends that this stuff is safe.  Regardless I still don't let anyone out there until the stuff has dried.  Try and spray during the heat of the day because that is when the blood-suckers are usually laying up and you can get them while they are resting.  This stuff is good to use in the house as well.  Like I said check it out and do your research on and I think you will like what you see.

Cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/Talstar-Insecticide-Termiticide-Bifenthrin-Mosquitoes/dp/B00409QKRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403096702&sr=8-1&keywords=Talstar

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i use deep woods off but theres lots of deet-free sprays out there. lots of lyme disease ticks up here in newengland this year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    I had installed a mosquito misting system around by back yard several years ago and have been essentially bug free since.  It pumps out pyrethrum twice a day for 45 seconds.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Our county just drove thru last evening with the big truck foggers. Check your area but, here they spray occasionally. The mosquitos haven't been taking us away this year but, the no-see-ums and yellow flies have been horrible. Call the county etc dept of health and disease prevention and maybe they have a program similar to what we have here.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    Hey Matt...you in NC?

I am in Raleigh and I have licked them in my yard. Neighbor brought in fresh sod. Asian tigers dont need standing water to breed. Just moist soil. Eggs can lay dormant for almost a year at a time and hatch within MINUTES after rain. Sod farms are INFESTED. That coupled with fresh mulch for just about every neighbor (which, you guessed it, brought in more larve and adults in the moist mulch) and the loooooong and wet winter here made this season the worst.

I use the burgess fogger to fog once a week at dusk or dawn. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

There are two main reasons I fog at dusk and dawn.

1) pollinating insects are not active during the evening. I don't have any bee hives on my property and I dont want to be killing bees by fogging plants and flowers during the day.

2) You want to fog when it will lay thick and heavy and linger in your yard. There is almost ZERO wind at dusk and dawn.

This will kill off the adults that are camping out on the underside of leaves, dark areas under a porch, etc. Adults are most active between 10 am and 3 pm.

For standing water and THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, moist soil,  I sprinkle mosquito bits after or just before rain. If you know your property, you will know which areas are wetter then others after a rain. Make sure you look in your sprinkler valve beds for standing water, I missed those until I opened one and there were a hundred mosquitoes in it.

For eggs and other pest control - pump sprayer and Talstar P all over the grass, fences, dark areas under porches, bushes, etc. This kills all the baddies in your yard. It is 100% the same stuff that pest control guys charge you a fortune to spray once every couple months.

For the fogging liquid...don't buy the small bottles. Those contain about .25% Pyrethrin

Buy one of these: Fogging liquid this contains 3%. I have found 1% works best. Cut it with 100% food grade mineral oil

I have been doing this routine for 3 years now and those are the best prices and places to buy what you need.

I don't have a mosquito problem anymore. Neighbors cannot even be in their yard without getting eaten alive. I have more info for you if you want to PM me. If you are local, I don't even mind showing you the best way to use the fogger and give you some tips.

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    Scott805 said:
    I had installed a mosquito misting system around by back yard several years ago and have been essentially bug free since.  It pumps out pyrethrum twice a day for 45 seconds.
    I have read great things about this and decided to try the fogging mainly because of the up front cost of the misting system. But I may still switch over if I find a deal on parts.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @NPHuskerFL‌ about checking into a county program. I never thought of Wyoming to be a buggy place, but we get our fair share of West Nile here. There always seems to be some kind of controversy about mosquito control(pro and con) though. Personally I agree with using approved chemicals for mosquito control vs chancing west Nile outbreaks.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's what I like about the South.

I saw one mosquito the other day. No coons either.  :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    2 things attract mosquitoes. Skin temperature and scent. Women and children tend to have warmer skins, and women tend to use fragrances. Can't do much about skin temp, but making sure clothes don't have scents rinsed or dried into them, and using scent free deoderant helps. Consuming garlic is supposed to help, as are doses of B-12. My wife and kids often spent many hours in the woods, and my wife still does. She always has deet based sprays w. her, and so far that has not been a problem. I've read that if on is sitting around, open bowls of vinegar are repellant to mosquitos. The vinegar also makes and effective weed suppressant.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    gdenby said:
    2 things attract mosquitoes. Skin temperature and scent. Women and children tend to have warmer skins, and women tend to use fragrances. Can't do much about skin temp, but making sure clothes don't have scents rinsed or dried into them, and using scent free deoderant helps. Consuming garlic is supposed to help, as are doses of B-12. My wife and kids often spent many hours in the woods, and my wife still does. She always has deet based sprays w. her, and so far that has not been a problem. I've read that if on is sitting around, open bowls of vinegar are repellant to mosquitos. The vinegar also makes and effective weed suppressant.
    I have read these things too and find the first point humorous, ancedotally. I run warmer than my wife and she wears no scents, including unscented deodorant. I wear Old Spice deodorant. They gnaw on her and leave me alone. I may get one bite and she gets 12. My daughters are turning out the same way. Eldest rarely gets it and the youngest is lunch.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I try keeping the blood alcohol level up to where if they bite me, like Frontline or Advantage, they die (and they die happy).
    edited June 2014
    Options
    CO2 attracts the bloodsuckers as well. I've been visiting a lot of agricultural property for work lately and the mosquitoes have been brutal. I use Deep Woods Off and it keeps them away. I forgot to get some a couple of Weeks ago and I got munched! I think they took about a pint! Take precautions people.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Skin temp I don't think plays a big roll.  Like @Eggcelsior, I run hot.. My wife wears a fleece in the house in summer. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Skin temp I don't think plays a big roll.  Like @Eggcelsior, I run hot.. My wife wears a fleece in the house in summer. 

I'm guessing going to bed is brutal for you too. She has the down comforter on and I'm on top of the sheets with 2 fans blowing.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options

FYI - This stuff is in perfume.  Works in concert with CO2 to attract some mosquitos. I love chemistry.

Nonanal

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nonanal[1]
    Nonanal.png
    Identifiers
    CAS number 124-19-6 Yes
    PubChem 31289
    ChemSpider 29029 Yes
    UNII 2L2WBY9K6T Yes
    Jmol-3D images Image 1
    Properties
    Molecular formula C9H18O
    Molar mass 142.23862
    Appearance Colourless liquid
    Density 0.827
    Melting point -18 °C
    Boiling point 191 °C
    Solubility in water Insoluble
    Related compounds
    Related aldehydes Octanal

Decanal

Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C (77 °F), 100 kPa)
     Yes (verify) (what is: Yes/?)
    Infobox references

Nonanal, also called nonanaldehyde, pelargonaldehyde or Aldehyde C-9, is an alkyl aldehyde. A colourless, oily liquid, nonanal is a component of perfumes. Although it occurs in several natural oils, it is produced commercially by hydroformylation of 1-octene.[2]

Mosquitoes

Nonanal has been identified as a compound that attracts Culex mosquitoes.[3][4] Nonanal acts synergistically with carbon dioxide.[5]

Options
    Yes, especially now with the little one.  I like it around 68-69 in the house.. She prefers much higher.  Typically around 74°, but always seems to creep to 76° at night in our bedroom (per the baby monitor). 

Since the baby, I can only run the box fan beside me.  The ceiling fan had to be turned off.  She said that was to much air for the baby.  I think its a good excuse to get one fan off! 

I'm guessing going to bed is brutal for you too. She has the down comforter on and I'm on top of the sheets with 2 fans blowing.

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    nolaegghead ... Only fragrant items I wear is my soap/shampoo I use.  Deodorant is non-scent and I wear no cologne. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Nothing works as good as Deet.  I've been backpacking in the mountains during the hatch after snow-melt and they can be so thick you have to breathe through your nose so as not to inhale them, but with 100% Deet (aka REI Jungle Juice), they stay off the skin.  I tried a non-Deet repellent once and was eaten alive.  Never again, will I go backpacking without my Deet.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    DEET is good stuff.  I remember synthesizing it for a lab in college.  Got a pretty good yield of around 18 mL or so of nearly 100% pure DEET.  Used the stuff afterwards, probably helps explain why I'm mad.
    Options
    this was the really good stuff.....if you survived you are bite free
    :D

they took it off the market some 30 years ago but i still have a bottle in my fly fishing vest

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it