Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Fire Box?

I noticed this crack when I was cleaning my XL this morning. I'm guessing I need to repair it? If I don't address it immediately and continue to use my Egg will it cause any further damage? Do I need to buy a new one or can I repair it? Did I do anything wrong to cause the box to crack. Having trouble posting pics via my iPad so apologies if the pic is upside down. Thanks for your thoughts and guidance.
Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Certainly no emergency, you can continue to cook on it.  Assuming you bought it from a dealer, it's life-time warranty, should be no problem getting it replaced; just cook with it until you gat your new one.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mine cracked like this around February or March. I have already gotten a replacement fire box from my dealer. It is still sitting in the box because I am not noticing any loss in performance and I am too lazy to swap out...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • OVERULD
    OVERULD Posts: 47
    Does the Egg need to be registered on-line or some other way to activate the warranty? My family bought mine for me as a gift and it was pretty much pre-assembled.  Once we got busy cooking on it I haven't bothered to look into registration.  Is there a serial number on each egg?  What should have come with it in the way of an owner's manual?

BJ
    Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    @overuld. Just contact the dealer where your family purchased it. They should take care of it for you as they will have a record of the sale and are your contact point for warranty issues.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated!!!!
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    OVERULD said:
    Does the Egg need to be registered on-line or some other way to activate the warranty? My family bought mine for me as a gift and it was pretty much pre-assembled.  Once we got busy cooking on it I haven't bothered to look into registration.  Is there a serial number on each egg?  What should have come with it in the way of an owner's manual?

BJ
    Just go here and register it BJ.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/registration/

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • My firebox cracked and broke into four pieces about 11 years ago.  I'm still using it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • OVERULD
    OVERULD Posts: 47
    BOWHUNR said:
    OVERULD said:

BJ
    Just go here and register it BJ.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/registration/

Mike

Thanks Mike - did that tonight. However, the Egg ID Number embossed on the inside of my dome is only two digits and they are upside down.  The example shown on the website says it should be either a 4 or 7 digit number.  I couldn't find any other numbers on the Egg, just the word Mexico embossed up near where the thermometer inserts.    That sound normal?

BJ
    Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I was just doing the same thing and found the same thing...though not as bad.  My fire box has more of a hairline crack in the back/top (opposite the bottom vent opening) that's visible from inside and outside the fire box.

My problem is, I bought it as a demo egg from a dealer who's since gone out of business.  It came assembled/used (they cooked on it in front of their store frequently) with a nest and plate setter.  I have a receipt from that store, but nothing else paperwork wise.  I don't know if it's the age of the egg or the amount of build-up, but I can't find any numbers on the inside of the dome.  Do I just wait for the firebox to crumble, then take the pieces and my receipt to the nearest dealer I can find?
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Mine has a crack in it, but hasn't fully separated. I haven't put the new one in yet, gonna wait it out.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    njl said:
    I was just doing the same thing and found the same thing...though not as bad.  My fire box has more of a hairline crack in the back/top (opposite the bottom vent opening) that's visible from inside and outside the fire box.

My problem is, I bought it as a demo egg from a dealer who's since gone out of business.  It came assembled/used (they cooked on it in front of their store frequently) with a nest and plate setter.  I have a receipt from that store, but nothing else paperwork wise.  I don't know if it's the age of the egg or the amount of build-up, but I can't find any numbers on the inside of the dome.  Do I just wait for the firebox to crumble, then take the pieces and my receipt to the nearest dealer I can find?
    Contact BGE direct with your problem, and take pictures of the issue and your receipt. They should be able to help you. Do you have any other dealers in your area?
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    There is a dealer not far from where I work.  I may stop by there sometime soon, explain the situation, and see what they're able to do.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I have to double check but I believe mine came with a relief cut in the firebox and fire ring. I have a new model just purchased in April. I'll double check next time I dissasemble it. I know for sure one had a relief cut in it when I put it together.
    Dearborn MI