Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a Simple Easy Baked Beans Recipe

Options
wmk0002
wmk0002 Posts: 7
Some friends are coming in from St Louis and staying a campground on beautiful Lake Guntersville, AL for the weekend. The wife and I are meeting them tonight at 6 and we are supposed to bring a side. I volunteered for baked beans. I would really like to smoke some for an hour on the BGE instead of just bringing the basic canned ones cooked on the stove. At the same time, I will be limited on time...Campground is 30 minutes from my house and with an hour long smoke I wont have much time at all for prep.

I have done a very complex smoked baked beans recipe from Steve Raichlen but it involves a lot of ingredients and prep. I'm looking for something with very little prep and small amount of ingredients. I'm thinking something along the lines some canned baked beans, chopped jalepenos, onion, and garlic, brown sugar, bottled red sauce, and bacon. I can probably just add any combo of said ingredients and be alright but I'd like a simple similar recipe with exact amounts of each ingredient. TIA!

Comments

• wmk0002
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @wmk0002‌
    Here is a bean recipe that is fool proof and about as good as it gets my friend.
    INGREDIENTS.
    2 28 ounce cans Bush original baked beans.
    1 15 and 1/2 ounce can of Bush original baked beans.
    1 12-16 ounce bottle of sweet baby rays or corkeys bbq sauce. I prefer corkeys.
    1/2 onion diced.
    1/2 green pepper diced.
    3 celery stalks diced.
    8 tablespoons of Frenches yellow mustard.
    1 pound of dark brown sugar.
    2 tablespoons of pork rub. I prefer Bad Byron's.
    2 tablespoons celery seed.
    2 pounds of cooked brisket or pork. As of late I have been using 2 pounds of Bryan little smokies cocktail sausage instead of brisket or pulled pork. It's outstanding if you like sausage.
    Combine all the above ingriedants in a pan except the brown sugar.
    Mix by hand with a wisk or fork.
    Once mixed cover with the brown sugar. Do not stir the sugar just dump it on.
    Cook at 225 for 3 hours with a little oak for smoke.
    This recipe is very easy and excellent to say the least. Hope you enjoy my friend .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    The best way to tell when they are done is to be sure all the sugar has cooked down and the mixture has started to thicken.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2014
    Options
    My wife usually does the beans and she eyeballs the ingredients, but it is basically this recipe:

She uses Bush's homestyle beans.  It's really dead simple- can o beans, chopped onion, bacon, heinz chili sauce, brown sugar.  If I have time I cook the bacon on the egg ahead of time for a little extra sumpn sumpn.  Even though it is simple they are always a hit. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• wmk0002
    Options
    Awesome! Appreciatte the recipes guys.
  • SGH
    Options
    @wmk0002‌
    I do not strain the beans. I cook them until the mixture thickens. Just tastes better to me this way.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @wmk0002‌
    You are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @SGH,   making this bean recipe for an event this week...if it was sourced from SGH itll garner the SEAL of APPROVAL!