Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make ABT`S

Ktim
Ktim Posts: 364
I have done a search for ABT`S and from what I can see I cut the pepper in half lengthwise, put cream cheese in each half then wrap with bacon. Then cook at 350 indirect for 45 mins. Is that correct?  Thanks in advance

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sounds about right. You can mix stuff into the cream cheese as well(spices, herbs, etc.). I actually leave the peppers whole and just cut the top off. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I like them halved; less heat per popper.  I add shredded cheddar, Worcestershire, garlic, and black pepper to the cream cheese, and then top with a Lil' Smokey sausage before wrapping with 1/2 slice of thin bacon, and a small dusting of BBQ rub on top.  Indirect at 300* until crispy, about 45 min. to an hour.  May not be the best way, but that's how we like them.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    i do half cream cheese half browned chorizo, and mix in some Dizzy Dust as well
    Pentwater, MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I like to chop up some leftover pulled pork and mix it with cream cheese and rub for the filling.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I fill the Jalepenos with cream cheese and Lil Smokey cocktail sausages pulsed up in a food processor.  I also Sprinkle some of my favorite rob on the outside.  

ADVICE:  You can decide how hot you want them to be.  There are two factors I am aware of that effects that:
    1) How many seeds you leave in the pepper. -  I have left none and still had hot ABT's.
    2)How long you cook them for. -  For the first try,  cook some for as long as you think they need to cook for.  (i.e. until the bacon crisps up) and then cook some of them for a while longer.  I have found that the more cooked they are the milder and sweeter they taste. 

Good luck, when you get them right they are awesome.   
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    You have the main part down.  I prefer to them whole, with most of the seeds and vain out.  After that, it's up to you to put what you want in it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Third factor in heat is how much of the vein you leave

There are as many ways to do ABTs as there are eggheads

Philly cheese is the primary cheese of choice but other cheeses can be substituted
    Mixing rub into the cheese works
    Additions on top of the cheese can be any kind of meat or you can go sweet for a sweet, savory, and salty ABT - try some pineapple crushed pineapple
    Finally the bacon and some more rub

Egg direct or indirect until the bacon is done
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I have wanted to stuff mine with pimento cheese.. that would be awesome. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I do a pineapple, gruyere, cream cheese and shrimp one that always disappears fast

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Substitute shrimp for the little smokies.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Ktim
     Thanks to everybody! I am going to try some tomorrow along with ribs. :-h
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2014
    You already have a load of good advice. Here's a twist I made recently - I had some left over anchovies and laid a strip down two before the bacon wrap. They made for an interesting taste change up! They were the two in the middle with the brown racing stripes!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ktim
    Your right RRP I have gotten a lot of good advice but I love anchovies so I am going to put some on half of the peppers I do tomorrow.One more question, should I put these on a rack on a baking sheet or right on the grid?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    On the grid

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ktim
    Thanks matthew!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I halve mine. Try the Mexican panty droppers. Dark chocolate on the ends and a maraschino cherry in the middle. Wrap really well to keep the goodies in.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    Ktim said:
    Your right RRP I have gotten a lot of good advice but I love anchovies so I am going to put some on half of the peppers I do tomorrow.One more question, should I put these on a rack on a baking sheet or right on the grid?
    Again there are many ways, but personally I put them on the grate, but indirect using my foil covered PS. 40-45 min at 350 works for me.image
  • RRP
    Since you plan on the boat then rather than just lop off the whole end and then watch the filling run out or try to stop it some way I just slip my knife under the "doily" on the stem and remove it - that keeps the boat when you cut it down lengthwise!

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    +1 on the shrimp stuffed!
    photo 3B9CD59D-C600-4F9B-94ED-9D437867F097_zpsh3g5mlnn.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • GeorgeS
    Oh and if you have folks that don't eat heat, use red or green peppers. Just try to get ones that have deep ridges and cut them so you have a u shaped cup to stuff.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Split lengthwise, cream cheese, chorizo sausage, bacon wrap. If you room temp the bacon, keep it thin, and stretch like wrapping a hockey stick (if you are a Canuck) or a baseball bat (if you are American) you do not need toothpicks. Dust with rub if you like. The bacon will shrink and seal itself. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Tip: I like is to use a grapefruit spoon to de-seed and pull the vain out after cutting into boats.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    A mellon baller also is a great tool for scraping out the seeds/ribs. There is still a ton of heat in the ribs of the pepper, so remove or not based on your taste.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • GeorgeS
    I put on gloves, slice open and scrape out with a spoon.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Limitless ways you can do it. I find that mixing cream cheese with your favorite rub (spicy or not) and adding some honey makes for a great combination. Top with a halved (lengthwise) lil' smokie and wrap in cheap bacon.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    DMW said:

I like to chop up some leftover pulled pork and mix it with cream cheese and rub for the filling.

Aw snap! I'm finally outta PP (was eating it for a week and a half straight). Oh well next time. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I fill the jap with a little cream cheese some egg and cut a piece of bacon to cover.
  • RRP
    I agree, Mickey and I used a grapefruit spoon for years until Santa gave me this tool in my stocking one year! The pointed end is great for jalepeno peppers and the round end for finish cleaning out mushroom caps for stuffing.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    You can get one of these, they work great. They were a in the goodie bag at one of the Eggtoberfests.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ktim
    You people on this forum are incredible,what a wealth of knowledge. I thank you all for the help and now I am sure this cook is going to be awesome! ^:)^