Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amateur BBQ Competitions

Have any of your participated in one? If so, do you have any tips from your experience? I plan on entering one in September. The categories are pulled pork, ribs, and chicken.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2014
    . . . do you have any tips from your experience? I plan on entering one . . .

While I do NOT have the talent/knowledge/nerve to compete, I am also interested in hearing accounts of personal experiences in local competition.

In example, I am curious how talent weighs against politics/personalities/intangibles when it comes to judging local events. 

Bribes?  Patronage?  Friendships?  Winks and nods? :-/

Heck, if there's enough drama involved, that could be a reality show in the making! 

I'm thinkin' ; "Desperate Housewives of the Duck Dynasty"  :>

And . . . are Eggs used often/seldom in competitions

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2014
    @Philicious‌
    Not sure what advice that you are seeking. Are you wanting cooking tips on each category? Smoker setup and fire maintenance? Box building? General rules and judging? If you will be a little more specific in what guidance that you need I'm sure someone here can help or at least point you in the right direction. It's been a little over 20 years since I cooked a sanctioned event , however I still cook a few non-sanctioned events and charity fund raisers when time allows. That being said there are people more qualified and up to date with current guide lines and regulations than me but I will gladly offer what advice that I can if no one answers your questions for you. If you are on the Gulf Coast I will even make you a offer that I have made to others on this forum that may be of some help to you .If you are interested I will loan you one of my smokers so you can cook the entire event. Free of charge. All I would ask is please return it clean and in the condition that I loaned it to you in. If no responds please be a little more detailed in your needs and I will do what I can to answer them my friend. I hope that I'm not incorrect in this statement but I believe that. @DMW is still active in sanction events and could offer you some very sound advice. If I am mistaken I would like to offer him my apologies in advance. That being said rather he cooks sanction events or not he is well accomplished in his craft. You would be wise to seek his advice and heed his council.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Competition food is analogous to the definition of beauty.  Average wins. 

1. Don't f*ck up. 
    2. Don't under-cook.
    3. Don't over-cook.
    4. Don't try to make it ethnic.
    5. Make it pretty.
    6. No surprises. 
    7. Needs to stand out in a super-average way.
    8. 3-bears rule
    9. zzzzzzz
    10. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    (addendum): sodium nitrite
    ^What he said^

I have a team, what are your questions
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Philicious‌
    Let me know if you got my PM I sent you. Sorry to bump this but I'm not worth a flip with computers and messaging. If you didn't I will try again.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have competed in an amateur comp the last three years. I have two third place rib trophies and two first place brisket. The trick is to just cook something edible. Most jack asses can't cook a brisket to save their lives. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.